Welcome to osx86.net

If you need help with your Hackintosh we have all the drivers, kexts and bootloaders and other stuff that you hadn't figured out you needed yet. Register now to get access to all of the files and forums.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hexidecimal

Guide: Turn an HP Elitebook 8460p into a Hackbook Pro

37 posts in this topic

Using U{censored} + MB{censored} + VoodooHDA, PS2 & Battery.

I was able to convert my Elitebook into a functional Macbook Pro using U{censored}. The only thing that will not work is the onboard Wifi card, but I'm using this card and it works perfectly with vendor supplied drivers: Amazon.com: AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter: Electronics It's a pretty simple process and requires the following:

Existing OS X install to create U{censored} Thumb Drive

A Copy of OS X Lion from the App Store.

8GB (or better) Thumb Drive

MB{censored}

These Kexts: VoodooPS2 Keyboard AND Mouse - Downloads - OSx86.net | voodoobattery lion - Downloads - OSx86.net

KB{censored}

First off, start by making a U{censored} Thumb drive as noted here: {censored} Blog: U{censored}: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive

This is the longest part, it took me over and hour to make the USB Drive, at one point my install was over 27 hours and I thought it had stalled, it hadn't be patient.

Once the drive is complete, put it into the RIGHT HAND SIDE USB PORT. This is the only USB 2.0 port and the only way to install. We'll fix USB 3.0 later.

Boot to the USB drive, select it from the Chameleon menu and get to the installer. If you're using the Intel HD3000 model of this laptop you should see native resolution for your screen. If it's asking you for a keyboard or mouse to be connected, tap a couple of keys on the keyboard and it should detect them.

Load Disk Utility from the Tools menu, and format your drive as HFS+ Journaled, and set the option to GPT partition. Once the drive is done, back out to the installer, hit continue, agree to the license agreement, select your newly partitioned drive and let the installer go. This should take around 15 - 20 minutes.

Once the install is complete, reboot and select the thumb drive to boot to again, this time choosing your newly installed Lion OS. It may ask you to pair a USB Keyboard or mouse at this point. I plugged in a USB keyboard to the right hand port and pressed the wifi togggle button (top right hand side of the keyboard) to disable bluetooth as I didn't need it. Run through the initial account setup and you should now be at your desktop.

Now we run MB{censored} to get kexts, system definition and a boot loader so you can stop using the USB key to boot. Download the latest MB{censored} from here: http://www.{censored}.com/C:Dq-OCPpT/MB{censored}-4.3.0.zip and run it with the following options selected. (Make sure you run this from the hard drive in your laptop, if you run it from a USB Device, it's going to KP when it updates the USB 3.0 driver and you'll have to reload the OS)

EasyBeast

System Utilities

VoodooHDA 2.7.3

USB 3.0 - NEC

hnak's AppleIntel E1000e

Macbook Pro 8,1 system definition

Proceed and install these options.

Once this has run, use KB{censored} to load the kexts linked above for a functional Keyboard & Trackpad as well as a working battery meter. To do this, unzip all the files and place the kexts DIRECTLY on your desktop. Do not put them in folders.

Once they are on your desktop, run KB{censored} and it will install them properly. Finally, you want to navigate to \System\Library\Extensions from your Lion HDD and remove AppleHDA.kext to avoid conflicts with VoodooHDA.kext.

After the reboot you should be back at your desktop with functional video, audio, USB 3.0, webcam, expansion slot, and wired ethernet. If you have a mac supported wireless card like the one linked above, you will now want to load those drivers, or if you have BIOS hacked this laptop to whitelist an internal card, make sure you choose the correct wifi driver option in MB{censored}.

Hope this helps anyone else using this laptop, it took me a few installs to get it right. Good Luck everyone!

Here's the final result:

6837525202_0a1f520b16.jpg

Hackbook Pro Mid-2011 by Hexidecimal, on Flickr

Edited by Hexidecimal
jokites likes this

Well done, thanks.

If you want to get rid of the USB WiFi, Atheros AR5B95 AR9285 802.11B/G/N Half Mini PCI-E Cards are only $10 from China.

Have a link for that card? I'd be interested for sure.

Edit: Actually looking into removing the Whitelist for this card for unsupported WWAN modules looks to be nonexistent. Bummer. Oh well, at least it's a micro wifi module.

Edited by Hexidecimal

Thanks for the link.

Also, as an addition to this guide, I just got a Displayport to VGA Adapter to test today. I can confirm that with this method Displayport is functional. Currently have my Hackbook Pro running both the internal display and a 24" Dell Monitor via that adapter at native resolution with no issue. Thought others might find this useful.

I'm going to be trying this with an Elitebook 2560p, will report back. It's the same chipset and probably the same processor, so I'm thinking I'll have the same results.