Welcome to osx86.net

If you need help with your Hackintosh we have all the drivers, kexts and bootloaders and other stuff that you hadn't figured out you needed yet. Register now to get access to all of the files and forums.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PunkNugget

THE HACKINBEAST !!! EVGA SR-2 w/2 x X5690's - GeekBench: 36,583 !!!

22 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Here we have it... THE HACKINBEAST !!! I actually have Mac OS X 10.7.2 up and running fine now and the X5650's are Underclocked (UC'd) with a GeekBench (v2.2.6) score of: 36,918!!! This unit's total cost was $4,500. Less than half of that from a Top-of-a-Line (equivalent) 2012 Mac Pro Tower (with all the jimmies) would have cost around $10,000 and only would have reached a top GB score of 25,000. For those that believe that PC's are cheaper, a BOXX Tech (PC equivalent server tower) would cost around $10,500 and would have received the same GB score of 25,000 (maybe a little more). So both Apple and BOXX Tech are about the same cost when you pay retail. Plus, half the fun (as all of you know) is building it and making it even faster.

THE HACKINBEAST - is the 2nd FASTEST Dual CPU Mac OS system setup according to the GeekBench scores. Tutor is #1 with a GB of - 40,100 !!!

Special Edit: To enable UC'ing, you must have Mac OS X 10.6.7 thru 10.7.2 (I think 10.7.3 might work, but I just didn't see the need to upgrade, so I didn't do it). Using this OS takes advantage of the UNDERCLOCKING (UC'ing) features (SPECIAL THANKS to Tutor and BrainDeadFool on MacRumors.com to helping make this happen) with the Xeon X5690's.

To learn all that you need to know about UC'ing please go here and read through everything FIRST, before attempting this. Learn from my fumbling and stumbling so you will have better and faster success:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1333421

GeekBench (v2.3.4) Score: 36,918 and Cinebench (v11.5) Score: OpenGL 50.65; CPU 22.55 !!!

This beast will be used for all types of rendering projects using Photoshop, FCP, Motion, After Effects, Premier Pro, etc...

I also want to give credit where credit is due:

Silverstone Tek:

- TJ11 PC Tower: (one of a kind touring model sold to me by Joel - Tech and Sales support)

- SST-CFP52B (Hot-Swappable for 4 HDs)

- CP07 6GB SATA (Cable)

- ST-1500W PSU (Simply THE BEST PSU OUT THERE !!!)

- 4 x AP121 120 x 25mm (Air Channeling Fans)

- 2 x SST-SF01 - (Foam Pad for Advanced Noise Aborption)

SilverStone Technology Co., Ltd.

THANKS JOEL FOR YOUR INPUT AND EVERYTHING ELSE !!!

EVGA:

- Classified SR-2 270-WS-W555-A1 (Motherboard)

- 480 GTX Superclocked (GPU)

http://www.evga.com

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE TECHNICAL STAFF THAT WORKS 24/7 FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH HELPING ME UNDERSTAND THIS MOBO !!!

Intel:

- 2 x Xeon X5690 (CPUs)

Thank you SuperBiiz.com for finding an exact MATCHING PAIR !!!

Mushkin:

- 3 x 16GB of #993991 - 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-16000 2000MHz 9-11-9-27 Blackline Ridgeback RAM

This particular RAM that was almost half the price of the 48GB Dominator GT (Red Top) 2000MHz RAM out there (and on top of that one of Dominator GT sticks failed the MemTest86 test as a result of the RAM not coming as a matching set).

http://www.mushkin.c...its/993991.aspx

THANKS MATT CONN FOR ALL THE HELP AND INPUT. THIS WAS A FANTASTIC INVESTMENT !!!

Special Note on the RAM: Although they were 3 separate kits, ALL OF MUSHKINS RAM is MATCHING RAM; weather you buy just one kit or more of the same model number RAM - and that's what you want when you're buying RAM so there are no potential issues. I also now have my RAM set at one notch below the standard 9-11-9-27 to now 8-10-8-26. They work beautifully without a hitch and are luke-warm to the touch when they're being Torture Tested. You can't go wrong with Mushkin !!! :-) (I'll be updating my pics later to reveal the New Ridgebacks beauty soon).

Koolance:

- 1 x MB-EVCSR2 (EVGA Classified SR-2 Water Block)

- 2 x CPU-370 v1.1 (CPU Water Blocks)

- 1 x HX-CU1020V (3x120 30-FPI Radiator)

- 1 x HX-CU1320V (4x120 30-FPI Radiator)

- 12 x Quick Disconnects (QC) - Female: VL3N-F10-16S / Male: VL3N-MG (Special Note: These are the most QCs that's been installed by any PC towered system to date)

- 2 x LIQ-702 Liquid Coolant (UV Green)

- 1 x VID-NX480 (GPU Water Block)

THANKS TIM and JAMES FOR ALL YOUR INPUT AND HELP IN GETTING THE RIGHT PARTS FOR THIS SYSTEM (and; EVEN SOME RETURNS) !!! OH, THANKS MARTIN (FROM MARTINSLIQUIDLAB) FOR HELPING ME OUT WITH MY BUBBLE ISSUE IN THE TUBING !!!

Swiftech

- 1 x Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir

- With factory pre-installed MCP35X2 housing

- With factory pre-installed dual PWM controlled MCP35X pumps

(Thanks Gabe and Stephen for all your help !!!)

Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual bay Reservoir - Rouchon Industries Inc., dba Swiftech - PC Liquid Cooling Systems CPU Cooler VGA Water Block Heatsink Pump Radiator Heat Exchanger Kit

Mountain Mods:

- 1 x HPTX-PAN (Tray only for EVGA Classified SR-2 HTPX Motherboard)

http://www.mountainm...only-p-568.html

MetroRestyling.com:

?- 1 x 12 x 24" Green 3d Carbon Fiber Vinyl (that was custom cut using the Hackintosh logo)

http://www.metrorest...nyl-p/gcf3d.htm

THANKS BRANDON FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!

LG:

- 1 x WH12LS30 (12X Blu-ray SATA Writer Drive)

YOU GO NEWEGG FOR ALL YOUR GREAT LEAD LOSS DEALS !!!

Other World Computing:

- 1 x 240GB OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI-E RAID SSD

http://eshop.macsale..._Accelsior/RAID

THANKS CHRIS ROBERTS FOR ALL YOUR HELP (MY RESELLER)

Hard Drives:

- 3 x WD2001FASS 2.0TB 64MB Cache Black Caviar HDs

Got them on eBay from a guy who sold them at a great price !!!

CoolerMaster:

- 15 x Excalibur 120x25mm PWM Fans (model #R4-EXBB-20PK-R0)

Excalibur (R4-EXBB-20PK-R0) - Cooler Master

- The highest rated 120x25mm CFM fans @ 2000RPM pulling 85.6 CFM !!!

Cooler Master Fan R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm 4-pin Barometric Ball Bearing Case Fan Removable Blades 12V DC 4 to 3-pin Adapter-Best Computer Online Store - Buy with Discount Prices from Houston Texas-Directron.com

PWM Fan Controller:

- 1 x PWM Dial Fan Controller (Up to 20 PWM fans can be controlled by this controller)

THANK YOU ED SMITH FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN CUSTOM MAKING THIS UNIT FOR ME !!!

DEMCIflex:

- 3 x Custom Made Flexible Air Filters (1 x 120 x 120mm / 1 x 140 x 140mm / 1 x 153 x 153mm)

DemciFlex

THANK YOU VINCENT FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE - THESE AIR FILTERS ARE THE BEST THE MARKET HAS TO OFFER AND WORTH EVERY PENNY - GET THESE FILTERS GUYS !!!

I especially want to give a special THANK YOU to the contributors (programmers) at these sties called: InsanelyMac and {censored} helping me get my Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 install working:

- SHAANKY98 - I want to truly thank you for your immense amount of patience, care and determination to want to help me. You definitely are a rare find and truly are a great man!

- KINGKONG89 - For being the initial reason why I went after wanting to build this EVGA SR?2 HACKINBEAST. It's guys like you that don't mind taking the big dive and going for it, and for that I want to thank you for being a trailblazer in this way!

- GOING BALD - What can I say, except when I needed an answer to something simple you are right there with the solution! If it wasn't for you, I would still be having trouble trying to connect to the Internet. I can't thank you enough for your help!

- LNX2MAC - Pablo, you have been an incredible, generous, giving, and understanding person when they came through my frustration in understanding how to install everything from when this all started for me a little bit over a year ago. I don't know what I would've done without you! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

- EMATOS - Thank you for all your little bit of tidbits of information that helped me along the way, it's truly appreciated!

- ECHREI - Thank you so much for helping me OC my processors, and spending half the night helping me make that happen! You have taught me so much to help me understand how to tweak my BIOS to take my X5650s to the max!

CUSTOMAC (I bought that other PCI-Card you suggested), POWERPCG5 (with my Dual Monitor issue on my other hackie)

osx86.net - for the little (but important) files that I NEEDED to get my unit working - THANKS !!!

But the person who gave me the most inspiration on all of this Mac Hak building stuff was Paulo Dourado, with this VERY VIDEO that started it all for me:

I also wanted to thank anybody else that I may have forgotten. If I have, please let me know and I will put your name in here !!! :-)

I hope you guys like THE HACKINBEAST and look forward to your feedback - AND YOUR VOTE !!! :cool:

FINISHED SYSTEM:

tj11sr2hackinbeasttower.jpg

By punknugget at 2012-02-06

By punknugget at 2012-02-07

tj11sr2hackinbeasttowerg.jpg

tj11sr2hackinbeasttoweru.jpg

tj11sr2hackinbeasttoweri.jpg

Edited by PunkNugget
SomniusX likes this

Wauw, wauw and wauw!

Thank you John for that vote of encouragement. I initially built this the beginning of the year but with reoccurring problems I had to basically return EVERYTHING and start over again as the refurbed SR-2 mobo that I purchased failed on me and I thought that returning everything (i.e.; mobo, RAM, CPUs, GPU and PSU) would be the safest thing to do. Then after doing all that and putting everything back in it's place (to make it look like it does in the pics), I had to reinstall everything and then torture test it the right way (using Window 7 first with OCCT). Now Mac OS X 10.7.2 and everything else works just fine.

It took me from January 2012 to Sept 2012 (a total of 9 months); the same amount of time it takes to have a child, I could have avoided all of these problems had I just purchased a BRAND NEW mobo instead of a refurb. Although I saved $175, it cost me more time in the end than what it was worth. I'm just glad I had my MacHakPro1 to use in the meantime. Again, thank you for the big-ups on the unit...

Edited by PunkNugget

Maybe it's time to build my own new project and beat your score :P I'll need to think about this, because I'm in lack of time big time. :) But really, thumbs up for your work.

Ok now that is very impressive! Thanks alot for sharing...and making us all jealous!

Thanks for the compliments. BTW, I hold back those selfish temptations by making sure that EVERYONE involved (in one way or another), also gets the BIG-UPS on this PC build. There is NO WAY that I could have this by myself. I'm just glad that I get to enter this contest... :cool:

Edited by PunkNugget