Acer aspire 5742g
Intel Core I5 - 460M processor
6GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 420M
To begin with download iAtkos L2 dmg (i have tried almost all other and this one seemed to work best) and burn it to dvd or restore it to USB. I have used the USB method so i'll explain it briefly.
Restoring iAtkos l2 to USB:
1. Insert your USB stick (at least 8GB);
2. Open Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) highlight your USB stick and choose Partition;
- At the drop down menu choose 1 partition;
- Press options and choose MASTER BOOT RECORD!!
- At the drop down menu choose Mac OS Extended(Journaled), give your partition any name and hit apply.
4. When done select Restore tab;
5. Mount iAtkos l2 dmg file;
Now i think it's clear - the red line shows where to drag and drop the destination file (it's your partition that you have created few steps before) and the blue line shows where to drag and drop the source (it's a partition from iAtkos l2 dmg file). After everything is dragged and dropped right hit apply and go make some tea or coffee - it takes time.
7. When done you can unmount the dmg file - no longer needed. Download the latest chimera from here
Chimera 1.7.0.pkg - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
8. Install chimera TO YOUR IATKOS USB that you just made.
Installing Mac OS X Lion:
Sorry but there won't be any screenshots for these steps so read carefully.
1. Go into your bios (press F2 at the computer startup) and change hard drive mode to AHCI and change your first boot device to iAtkos l2 USB boot stick.
2. Choose to boot iAtkos l2 without typing anything. After you choose your install language select Utilities/Disk Utility.
3. Now this is important and you should decide yourself which way you want to format your Hard Drive:
Formatting the whole hard drive
WARNING this will erase all files on your hard drive! Again like in the steps for usb highlight your hdd and select partition tab. Choose one partition click options and choose MASTER BOOT RECORD (i don't know what will happen if you choose others because i am using this one and it works like a charm). Choose mac os extended(journaled) and name your partition any name you want. Hit apply and exit disk utility. Done.
Formatting only one partition (best for dual boot with windows)
Now i have used this one. Highlight the partition you want to install Mac on. Now if you have already installed windows your hard drive will be using Master Boot Record so no need to worry about that. When highlighted select Erase tab. It will erase everything only on that one partition. Make it Mac OS Extended name it however you like and apply. When done exit and that's it.
4. Select your formatted partition or hard drive and DON'T HIT DONE! Double click it or press Customize. Now if you have same hardware leave default marked and additionally mark these items:
- Original Apple Boot Logo
- AHCI SATA
- VoodooHDA 2.1
- CPU (under hardware sensors)
- nVidia VGA cards
- Laptop Battery
- GF 100(under VGA/nVidia)
- Atheros AR9287
That's it, hit done and install. It will take some time so go make another cup of tea.
Now you have working Mac OS X Lion in your ACER aspire 5742g!
To make it fully working you must do a few more steps.
At this point only wifi works and you can't be verified on app store.
Download this kext:
BCM5722D.kext.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download
Use any kext utility you can find on the net to install it and reboot. This enables ethernet which is required if you want to use app store. After rebooting go to your System preferences/Network and hit - sign on every device and apply. Navigate to /library/preferences/systemConfiguration and delete NetworkInterfaces.plist then reboot again. After reboot go back to System preferences/Network hit + and add ETHERNET FIRST. This is very important. Hit apply and wait till it gets green. Then you can add wifi. That's it. You have fully working Mac OS X Lion on your laptop!
Sorry for mistakes and glad if i helped someone