I've decided to start this thread to cover my small adventures and help others to install Mac OS X on HP dv7-655dx.
I'll keep updating this post to cover success story and will try answer on questions as separate posts in this thread.
I've had multiple problems on which I won't elaborate and to give you a bit of taste, I've spent multiple evenings nights and full days trying to first boot Mac installer on this HP dv7-6b55dx (called below DV7) and then install it and use in the right way.
My current on which I need your help are:
1. Get USB right side working after direct combo update to 10.7.3 from 10.7.0
2. Can't boot 10.7.3 with "-v -f cpus=1" flags whilst without anything with attached smbios.plist end settings it starts just fine. It was the opposite earlier as without flags I couldn't get it booting. It's kind of magic for me now and I don't know how to fix it or work around it. Help would be appreciated.
Problems I've faced in short are:
1. Couldn't boot this laptop using USBs prepared with different tools using 10.7.3, 10.7.2 etc. versions but finally I've made it booting of one prepared with the way described later below. What didn't work: iAtkos L2, Mammoth with DV6 & DV7 patches.
2. Couldn't get HD 3000 working.
3. Couldn't get Sound working. It does not work with HD892 enabler neither with patched AppleHDA drivers.
4. Still can't get left side of USB ports (USB3) working.
What works so far:
1. HD 3000 (I believe full acceleration), maybe HDMI + VGA, but haven't tested it yet but drivers should allow this.
2. Sound using VoodooHDA 2.7.3
3. Network using RealtekRTL81xx.kext
4. USB (right side) on 10.7.0 not anymore after direct combo update to 10.7.3
5. Booting 10.7.3 without flags with just standard settings as below (please help on this).
"npci=0x3000 darkwake=0 cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes Wait=Yes -v"
It does not work when using "-f" :S
Anything else - ask me, as I could forgot about something.
How did I get so far?
1. Used 10.7.0 release to install under VirtualBox on Windows, called below VMac. It should work for you to use either DVD or dmg file as purchased from Apple.
2. Used VMac to prepare USB key using same source with Unibeast 1.2 (Earlier didn't work, but it could be due to my missing knowledge)
tonymacx86 Blog: UniBeast: Install Mac OS X Lion Using an All-In-One Bootable USB Drive
3. Boot DV7 of USB with flags:
"-x -v cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"
Hint: if it wouldn't work, try to experiment without GraphicsEnabler=Yes and with just -f instead of -x.
4. Installation screen should be correct with low resolution (1024x800) but correct. If wrong boot options are used then it will show as shifter to the right with vertical white lines. The problem here is that sometimes system has to be booted twice with same settings to start working correctly (don't ask me why, but if you have answer, I'd love to learn this, as seems like there's kind of last status caching on Mac).
5. Go through installation as per Unibeast/Multibeast installation.
6. Reboot system and run it of USB key again.
7. Start system with "-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes" option and if it wouldn't work, go backwards through "-f" to "-x" settings. Remember, sometimes it won't start with correct settings on the first try.
In the worst case, see CLI hint.
8. Run Multibeast and if possible install smbios.plist and boot options (GraphicsEnabler=Yes cpus=1) so you won't have to type it (Boot.plist) will be attached. Below I don't specify these two flags anymore as are part of my Boot.plist.
With MultiBeast I've selected:
- UserDSDT (for this dsdt.aml has to on your desktop, but you can copy it manually to /Extra)
- VoodooHDA 2.7.3
- Lnx2Macs network
I didn't use any System definitions or themes. Themes increase kernel load time significantly as screen scrolls slowly.
It happen to me that during operations with MultiBeast, Kext Wizard and multiple reboots my smbios.plist and Boot.plist has been overwritten and I had to manually copy over my old and customize version. Without this system wouldn't reboot.
9. Optionally you can install Chimera 1.9.1
11. I've choosen to install VoodooHDA 2.7.3 from install package downloaded from
Downloads - voodoohda - High Definition Audio (HDA) driver for Mac OS X - Google Project Hosting
12. Install DSDT.aml (attached). It only has one modification for HD 3000.
13. Make sure that all rights are set, caches updated. I do use Kext Wizard as well as command as below.
### command to change ownership and recreate cache
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*
kextcache -v 3 -a i386 -a x86_64 -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext -z /System/Library/Extensions
14. After next reboot, probably with flags "-v" or "-v -f" or "-v -x" or "-v -f -x" you should get nice Mac OS X login screen. Boot.plist includes already "cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes"
Reboot couple of times and test if it works fine.
15. Do the backup using Time Machine or CCC (CarbonCopyCloner).
Enjoy your 10.7.0
Update to 10.7.3
1. Download and run 10.7.3 - don't restart.
2. Run Multibeast
3. Get http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2363 and install suitable one for 10.7.3 (11.3.0). Without this I couldn't get HD3000 working.
I've run multiple time into the issue that system didn't display graphic UI to login whilst all the process were working correctly. I've noticed that interface is started and I just don't see it neither on built-in display but also not on HDMI.
The solution for this is to use the right smbios.plist (attached) and boot options (attached)
Credits goes to multiple people who posted very valuable knowledge on multiple forums and site.
The key hint I've receive was from amdmac3386 as he confirmed it was possible to get Mac working on DV7. Earlier I was fighting to get it booting.
Below are links I believe might be useful and which I used on my learning curve. I've also posted some info under following threads hence please review them as there might be some useful info.
tonymacx86 Forum • Information
tonymacx86 Forum • Information
tonymacx86 Forum • Information
I've you've helped me and I missed it, please take my apologies, let me know and I'll update this entry.
p.s. As mentioned at the beginning, this post will be an up to date live post with current problems and solutions. Files will be attached once I'll get on DV7.