Always up to date!

Do you want to be kept up to date with new versions of files and / or news? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook! Make sure you are updated with new file versions!

Photo

Can't find Mach-Kernel

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ed_von_schleck

ed_von_schleck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Hiya,
out of the sudden my Boot-stick does not work anymore. If I don't do anything, I am getting the message "Can't find Mach-Kernel". If I do press a cursor button the loader just freezes.

As this just my boot-stick I removed it and tried to use the one (#second) I had used for installing SL, the automatic guide (http://lifehacker.co....cking-required). This stick tries to install SL, as it also contains the image for installation. However, if I press cursor to choose a different drive, I get a freeze.

So I booted my external drive having my old efix-image with efix and used the installer for the stick from the above guide to install Chameleon to a third stick..."Can't find Mach-Kernel".

I have no clue on what's going on, I haven't done anything to the BIOS.
One thing I did yesterday was using terminal in order to hide my first usb-stick. However and no matter of what I might have done wrong, the second and the third weren't plugged at that moment. Moreover, these two are freezing even before I might decide to choose a disc to boot.

Has anyone here an idea what is going on here?
Thx Ed

******Edit******
Just to make it clear: I am not complaining not being able to boot OSX, I am wondering about not being able to get to the harddrive selection window...?
EP-45-DS3 F7*Q9400*GF9800GTX
Vista*OS10.6.8.*EFiX V1 (died ->RMA->back->shelf->Ebay, HAPPY)

elmangomez

elmangomez

Expert Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
When the drive appears, BEFORE the timer runs out.. click on one of the side arrow keys on your kb. This will stop the timer and show you the drives. It is likely that you have a default drive number that does not exists in your boot.plist and this is why it shows the no mach kernel. Once you get the drive list, hit the "Tab" key. This will put Chame in text mode. It will show the drive numbers for each of your volumes. Note the one you want to defualt to. Then boot in Mac, edit your boot.plist and enter that drive number for the default drive. It should work.
Mobo: Gygabyte EP45-UD3p
Video: nVidia 9800 GTX+
DVD: LG something
RAM: 6 GB mixed brands
HDD: About 8 of them all SATA
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz

ed_von_schleck

ed_von_schleck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Thx elmangomez,
but that's just the point - I haven't set a default OS:
a) If I press one the arrows, the timer will freeze and also the system.
B) If I do not press anything I get the Mach kernel message.
My installation stick works in so far, as I can install SL (by not pressing anything), tried it on an external hd, but when it comes to the reboot I am stuck between new installtion (B)) or freeze (a)).
It can't have anything to do with my regular SL system, as the hd of it was plugged off during installation to the external hd.
It must be something in the BIOS that allows installation by a stick having Chameleon + the image of SL on it, but does not allow selecting of devices.
Iam absolutely confused, as it had worked to brilliant the last couple of days and especially as I can't think of the error...
HELP,
Ed

ed_von_schleck

ed_von_schleck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Ok - I found the problem:
It's my internal FAT32 drive. As soon as it is plugged in, the usb stick does not boot. Plugged off and it boots.
That's as fact as it is weird, because I have rebooted OSX with it a couple of times yesterday. The only thing I did with it yesterday I copied data on it.
Right now, I am copying everything under Vista and will reformat and rename the drive.
Let's see whether that helps...
Ed

afd_sg

afd_sg

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Ok - I found the problem:
It's my internal FAT32 drive. As soon as it is plugged in, the usb stick does not boot. Plugged off and it boots.
That's as fact as it is weird, because I have rebooted OSX with it a couple of times yesterday. The only thing I did with it yesterday I copied data on it.
Right now, I am copying everything under Vista and will reformat and rename the drive.
Let's see whether that helps...
Ed

Hi I have experienced similar problems. I originally had my bios to regognize the four disks I have loaded in their correct order. Ie disk 0, 1 2 3 respectively, with that setting I get the Mach-Kernal error irrespective what i set the default drive to. But if in the bios setting, I set it to drive0, 3 2 1 (in that order), its all works fine - strange! Drive 0 is an SSD drive where cameleon is loaded, Drive 1 is OSX, drive 2 is Ubuntu and drive 3 is "spare".

Good luck...
MB:Asus Z77 Sabertooth
CPU:Intel i7-3770K
HD4000 Graphics
RAM:16 GB DDR3 Corsair 1600

roberto_b

roberto_b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi,
bogus code in the boot aprtition of chameleon.
asere has fixed a few bugs: Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658-PCEFIV10.4-Aserebln.zip
i don't remember the exakt url...

before installing the patch i was unable to boot my kaliway 10.5.2 installation.
i did use the 'correct' dtds from here, but ...

i still can't use regular updates - the system get's struck when initializing the 8169 ethernet drivers. have not looked at the sources...
i'm using a standard ga-ep45-ds4 with f9 bios.

reagrds
roberto

ed_von_schleck

ed_von_schleck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
It works fine right now,
to be honest I am not completely sure what I had changed.
But the drive setting sounds more plausible than my former idea. And yes, I also have four drives, SL, Vista (+NTFS data partition), time machine and one for data exchange/storage in FAT32. I noticed that the order in which they appear in Chameleon depends on the order in which they are in the boot priority list and even not on the order of SATA plugs of the MoBo.
And maybe I got it working just by changing the boot priority list, because I remember I had to change the list in order to boot Vista natively (in order to save my data).
Thx Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users