Always up to date!

Do you want to be kept up to date with new versions of files and / or news? Follow us on Twitter and Facebook! Make sure you are updated with new file versions!

Photo

{OUTDATED}[GUIDE]Chameleon Bootloader (The Basics)

- - - - - bootloader chameleon os x

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts
This guide is completely Outdated... What you will find here still being usable but lots of new features and improvements where added and as I don't use Chameleon anymore I don't have plans to update this thread...

Fell free to post here useful information then I'll add them to the main Topic...

Hello Everybody!

The beginners of the Hackintosh Universe, occasionally get a little confused with Chameleon settings, so I decided to create this post to clarify and streamline the most of the questions about this "Powerfull Bootloader" ...

The folder Extra is on "Root System", or "the directory where you installed OS X" or "/" ...

Posted Image

There, we found the file "com.apple.Boot.plist" which is basically a mirror of the original file which is in "/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration" and is the file where we set our "Preferences" for the system boot.

The example below is from my "com.apple.Boot.plist".

Note: For releases above 11xx you need to use "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" instead of "com.apple.Boot.plist".

Posted Image

We also find the folder "Extensions" which is a mirror of the folder "/System/ Library/Extensions" and is the folder where the "kext`s' (drivers) for each hardware device of the system, working as a complement for him and allowing the installation of "Modified kext`s" that facilitates future updates of OS X.

The file "Extensions.mkext" is a "cache" file and also mirror of the file in the folder
"/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup" that aims to reduce the loading time of the system, preventing the system on each boot to make a scan of the folder to verify existing kext `s.

The file "smbios.plist" is a file used by Chameleon to "induce" the system to believe that it is running under a specific platform, providing information such as processor type, memory, Apple Computer, serial numbers, etc ... and supplying the use of SMBIOS injectors like AppleSMBIOSEFI, AplleSMBIOSResolver, etc ...

The example below is from my "smbios.plist.

Posted Image

The "Themes " folder is only "cosmetic", we can put themes for the BootLoader.

Posted Image

Advanced Boot Options: These options can be used at Chameleon's boot, without changing
com.apple.Boot.plist file and can be used for troubleshooting startup issues.

PLEASE NOTE THE ARGUMENTS NEED TO BE WRITTEN EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED BELOW (CASE SENSITIVE) BEFORE SELECTING THE BOOT DEVICE, THE FLAG`S ARE SHOWN ON THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER

Posted Image

rd=/dev/diskXsY > Starts from the specific Disk/Partition (Replace X for the disk and Y for the partition number)

npci=0×2000 Fix for "[PCI Configuration Begin]" Bug (Thanks to Netkas for this tip)

pmVersion=0 > Disable SleepEnabler.kext

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" > Set the Boot Resolution (Yes... you have to use "quotes")

cpus=X > Set the number of processor cores (Replace X for the number of cores)

busratio=XX > Set processor BusRatio (Replace XX for the BusRatio number)

Link for Intel's website, search for processor model and find "Bus/Core Ratio".

maxmem=XXXX > Set the amount of memory to be used by the system (Replace XXXX for the amount of memory in MB, for example: 1024 = 1gb / 2048 = 2gb)

USBBusFix=Yes > Enable All USB Fixes less EHCIhard (for USB devices)

EHCIacquire=Yes > Fix EHCI issues (for USB devices)

UHCIreset=Yes > Fix UHCI issues (for USB devices)

USBLegacyOff=Yes > Fix I/O issues (for USB devices)

EHCIhard=Yes > EHCI Soft Reset (for USB devices)

DSDT=NAMEOFFILE > Set the "dsdt.aml" to be used by the system (Rename NAMEOFFILE for DSDT path, for example: hd(0,2)/Extra/dsdt.aml)

config=NAMEOFFILE > Set a alternative "com.apple.Boot.plist" (Replace NAMEOFFILE for the file path, for example: hd(0,2)/Backup/com.apple.Boot.plist)

SMBIOS=NAMEOFFILE > Set a alternative "smbios.plist" (Replace NAMEOFFILE for the file path, example: hd(0,2)/Backup/smbios.plist)

Below, we list the most used functions in the file com.apple.Boot.plist and their functions ...

<key>DSDT</key>
<string>/dsdt.aml</string>
Set the "DSDT" to be used.

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
Set Default "Disk" (Partition) for boot.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
Set the Default Resolution.

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Activate Video Injection "EFI String" generated by the BootLoader.
(Options: Yes / No)

<key>Hide Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
Hide "Disks" (Partitions) from Bootmenu.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386 -v</string>
Allow you to set "Boot Flag`s", for example, -v, cpus=1, arch=i386, etcÖ

<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
Set SMBIOS file to be used instead of the Chameleon's DMI injection

<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
Set the default theme, and the default path for themes is "/Extra/Themes".

<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
Set the timeout to boot the default partition.

<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Set the bootloader to not show the boot options.
(Options: Yes / No)

<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Set always fix USB Bus Issues.

<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Activate C-states.

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Activate P-states.

These are the most used options, but there are many others that can be seen
(including these) in the bootloader's "help".

Download Chameleon http://www.kexts.com...ootloaders.html

Download Lizard by sonotone Lizard - Downloads - Kexts.com

Chameleon Timeline Chameleon Updates - Chameleon open source boot loader project.

Forum Voodooprojects Voodooprojects - Index

Original topic made ​​by me on HMBT Forum

Edited by kyndder, 25 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.
Added Netkas tip for [PCI Configuration Begin]

579868.png

Asus P8Z77-V LK Firmware 1001 / Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge / Geekbench

quezacotl

quezacotl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Nice explanation.
I have a couple small problem, maybe u can help.
I start installing hackintosh using my old lcd screen(max 1680x1050). When i bought a full hd screen display, the boot screen is stretched. So i change the graphic-mode string value to 1920x1080x32. But nothing happen.
I tried installing Chameleon control panel, but no luck either.
Next i bought second hdd for my windows 7 os. Afther that i found 2 icons on my bootloader. Its logic because Win7 have 2 partitions. one for booting and the other one for data. But when i connect my usb BD-writer drive, also get 2 icons.
For booting to windows i just select the first icon (boot partition). I just want the bootloader shows one icon.
Any idea how to fix this problems?

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

Nice explanation.
I have a couple small problem, maybe u can help.
I start installing hackintosh using my old lcd screen(max 1680x1050). When i bought a full hd screen display, the boot screen is stretched. So i change the graphic-mode string value to 1920x1080x32. But nothing happen.

For this, you need a Theme with the same resolution that you want use...

Next i bought second hdd for my windows 7 os. Afther that i found 2 icons on my bootloader. Its logic because Win7 have 2 partitions. one for booting and the other one for data. But when i connect my usb BD-writer drive, also get 2 icons.

Chameleon only shows Optic Drives when booted from them...

For booting to windows i just select the first icon (boot partition). I just want the bootloader shows one icon.Any idea how to fix this problems?

On a terminal, type diskutil list ...

Se the name of the disk you want to hide...

Modifi the key above with your disk information and add the key to your com.apple.Boot.plist of /Extra folder...

Hope this helps...

579868.png

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts
Added "pmVersion=0" flag to disable the kext SleepEnabler, following a tip from our friend Toltuga!

Thanks Toltuga!!!

;)

579868.png

classicalsingershaleen

classicalsingershaleen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey kyndder i couldn't understand that....... i just want to know that since my GC is not supported by os x as u said, wt can i do???
if i cant do anything then as u mentioned... how can i change my resolution?

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

hey kyndder i couldn't understand that....... i just want to know that since my GC is not supported by os x as u said, wt can i do???
if i cant do anything then as u mentioned... how can i change my resolution?

Add this key to you com.apple or org.chameleon.Boot.plist...

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>

579868.png

classicalsingershaleen

classicalsingershaleen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
will surely try

nightlite

nightlite

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you!

This was very useful in generating my dream mac. :D

Fixed a ton of problems!!

AppliArt

AppliArt

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts
Champlist also can be used if you prefer doing changes in a GUI instead of manually.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

iFunkyzeit

iFunkyzeit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there, and sorry for my noobish question, but i'm new to this. Is it posible to put back chameleon if i reinstalled windows and i can't boot back into my mac drive ? I can only enter in Win7 atm. Thanks in advance.

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

Hi there, and sorry for my noobish question, but i'm new to this. Is it posible to put back chameleon if i reinstalled windows and i can't boot back into my mac drive ? I can only enter in Win7 atm. Thanks in advance.

Use a BootCD to boot your installation and reinstall Chameleon...

Use this app to reinstall and also made all the changes that you see on that guide on your Chameleon settings > Chameleon Wizard - Downloads - Kexts.com

Try this BootCD > Nawcom OSX ModCD - Downloads - Kexts.com

579868.png

iFunkyzeit

iFunkyzeit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Use this app to reinstall and also made all the changes that you see on that guide on your Chameleon settings > Chameleon Wizard - Downloads - Kexts.com

iFunkyzeit

iFunkyzeit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

i used your guide to boot and install Chameleon Wizard, but i can't boot to Win7 now, it gives me 0x0000098 error and i can't boot from dvd to repair the windows ... any sugestions ?

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

i used your guide to boot and install Chameleon Wizard, but i can't boot to Win7 now, it gives me 0x0000098 error and i can't boot from dvd to repair the windows ... any sugestions ?

Boot with the Windows DVD...

After you reach the Welcome screen press SHIFT + F10...

When the Command Prompt window appear type diskpart and press ENTER...

Run list disk to see the number of your HDD where you have windows (if you have only one disk will be 0)...

After you know the disk number, run select disk X (replace X for your disk number)...

Run list partition to see the partition System Resrved number (he havex aprox 100mb)...

After you find the partition number, run select partition Y (replace Yfor your partition number)...

Type active and press ENTER...

Type exit, close the Commend Prompt window and reboot...

Boot again with the windows install DVD and now he will find your installation and made automatic repairs, after he finish reboot a now you may be able to boot windows again...

Tell if works...

579868.png

iFunkyzeit

iFunkyzeit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i can't Boot with the Windows DVD either, after i installed the Chameleon, the boot from dvd option is not available anymore, even if i press F12 to boot from there ... it's just skipping till chameleon and after snow leopard ...

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

i can't Boot with the Windows DVD either, after i installed the Chameleon...

??????? :confused:

One thing there's nothing to do with the other....

Set the default boot to your DVD drive on your BIOS and disable other boot options...

Chameleon does't change anything on your BIOS, it's impossible you can't boot from DVD or USB because of the Chameleon install...

You have sure that your DVD drive is working properly???

Try this and tell us the result...

579868.png

aerostar1974

aerostar1974

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi,
i have my screen blocked to 1024*768 instead of 1440/900 that my Go Force 7300 can support under windows.
Then i have tried to put in the com.apple.boot.plist <key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>800x600x16</string>
it works.
that mean for defecti it 1024*768, and if i change the file with 800*600 it works too.
but when i put 1440*900*32 it not work, and its appears again in 1024*768.
Why ?
Any one can help me ?
the goal, of course, is to put my screen on 1440*900.
thanks

Other Thinks :
I have put in the file the : 1920*1080*24 and connect my laptop on my external screen, and now i have...1280*1024! curious no...

Edited by aerostar1974, 06 October 2011 - 10:35 PM.

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

Hi,
i have my screen blocked to 1024*768 instead of 1440/900 that my Go Force 7300 can support under windows.
Then i have tried to put in the com.apple.boot.plist <key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>800x600x16</string>
it works.
that mean for defecti it 1024*768, and if i change the file with 800*600 it works too.
but when i put 1440*900*32 it not work, and its appears again in 1024*768.
Why ?
Any one can help me ?
the goal, of course, is to put my screen on 1440*900.
thanks

Other Thinks :
I have put in the file the : 1920*1080*24 and connect my laptop on my external screen, and now i have...1280*1024! curious no...

I think that your card may work without this tricks...

Made a test using this flag's at boot > arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v

579868.png

aerostar1974

aerostar1974

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Nothing change. With arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v, on laptop i'm still on 1024*768 and with external screen connected i'm steel on 1280*1024. Impossible to view on laptop on 1440*900 or on screen 1920*1080.

kyndder

kyndder

OSx86.net Crew

• Supervisors
  • 9,595 posts

Nothing change. With arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v, on laptop i'm still on 1024*768 and with external screen connected i'm steel on 1280*1024. Impossible to view on laptop on 1440*900 or on screen 1920*1080.

Try this > InsanelyMac Forum > GeForce GO 7300

579868.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bootloader, chameleon, os x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users