MrAhlefeld

Powermac G5 Project - A new take on a classic

Reminds me of the first mod I did using x86 tower server case to hold a bulky Amiga 2000 mb. One more comment, with water cooling, it's a shame typical PC/ATX cases are over-the-top $'s or too small within budget range to hold all the hardware required to support liquid cooling.

Going for a simpler hack-job this winter---finding the right voltage match to bring lower-end x86_64 Mac up to 8 cores.

And, software hacking--forcing Mac OS X under Hyper VM (a hint of inspiration based on Mod CD).

Ahh the old Amiga 2000 I was drooling when that machine emerged from Commodore.

I've owned an A500+ and an A1200 with a 1220 accelerator board and internal HDD, ahh those where the days :listening_headphone

I swear I remember seeing that exact same case with the ding in the upper support somewhere else. Nice work on your mod - its always nice to see somebody putting the time into modding a G5 or Mac Pro case with modern/better guts. I have a G5 rig with the i5-3570k in it but definitely wanted the 3770 - just couldn't justify the extra $100 for hyper-threading and an additional 2mb of L3 cache.

Which OS(s) will you be running? I love ASUS boards personally even if they aren't as hackintosh friendly as the Gigabyte boards.

Keep up the great work - nice detail in the pictures as well!

Nope I garuntee that it ain't the same case, this was bought in Denmark at a local Mac support that I know.

I wen't for the 3770k cause this was a new machine that should last me at least a few years + OC'ing the crap out of it!!! so better to cash out I think.

I'll be running Win7 Pro 64 bit on the SSD and OSX Lion on a 250GB HDD

Im not really a MAC man, I just loved this case so much that I had to mod it to fit my needs. (apple logo will disappear)

I honestly would find it very ironic if he ran Windows on it.

I don't know why.

Maybe it's just me.

Irony served :eagerness: chilled with H20 goodnes

Well done MrAhlefeld!

The last time I saw a very detailed mod was at aquamac Forums and a Mod made by aquamac itself > aquamac forums - More Hackintosh Mods

Congratulations!

Thanks for the kind words !

The mod is 99% complete now and the beast is up and running (Win7 as the first OS)

Just need to create a support for the RES and take final pictures :encouragement:

Update!

So this rig has been up and running for a week now. I guess it was about time i posted an update on the whole thing.

Remember I said (up and running) so it's complete but not quite done yet, there are a few details that need to be sorted.

So without further ado.

Filling the loop

IMG_3700.jpg

Random shot

IMG_3701.jpg

Random shot

IMG_3702.jpg

Enter H2O and Ethylene Glycol

IMG_3703.jpg

Enter H2O and Ethylene Glycol

IMG_3704.jpg

After one week of running

Damn autofocus !

IMG_3800.jpg

The whole system in it's glory

IMG_3801.jpg

Bottom's up!

IMG_3802.jpg

Showing off the rear

IMG_3803.jpg

Pic of pump assembly - Silicone anti vibration thingy I made - Pump Alu bracket

IMG_3804.jpg

Closeup of Pump - Res

IMG_3805.jpg

Closeup of CPU - VRM

IMG_3806.jpg

Closeup of RAD

IMG_3807.jpg

Can you spot the mains power cable ????

IMG_3808.jpg

Random shot

IMG_3809.jpg

Showing off Rad clearance

IMG_3810.jpg

Showing off RAM clearance

IMG_3811.jpg

Well I guess that's allmost it for this project, it's been fun and tiresome.

But... Well worth the time spent!

Cheers

PS. Currently hitting OSX Mountain Lion on a 250GB SATA disk :eagerness:

Edited by MrAhlefeld

I hope you mean SSD disk?

Hi John

Nope it's a 7200RPM SATA-III 250GB

The SSD is reserved for my primary OS - Windows7 64Bit

Yes windows I know, but im a gamer and then there is no choice :P

But should someone send an extra SSD my way, id' gladly exchange it :encouragement:

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the ride. The build will be finalized with details in the following months.¨

One thing that needs to be re-done is the RES holder support (thing looks shite)

Cheers

Edited by MrAhlefeld

very very nice build! I woulda considered it near to sacrilegious cutting the case like that but you did it in a way that looks quite professional and is well out of sight to the casual observer.

Since you built this extreme rig I am curious about your benchmarks (random numbers I know but still bigger random numbers mean more gooder) and your thermals at idle and 100%.

Are you just using that beast for gaming or are you using it for work of some kind?