• Donate

OSX86.NET lives on your donations!  Please contribute what you can so we can get rid of those pesky ads !

foxofinfinety

Mouse not working in OS X install (keyboard DOES work)

Question

I created a USB disk with MyHack a while ago for a other Hackintosh, figured I could re-use it now, it boots fine, but the mouse isn't working at all.

?

I have googled on this, but everything I can find so far claims the USB controllers aren't working in general, and they are issues where both the mouse and keyboard aren't working, but my keyboard works fine.

in theory I can do the installation with just the keyboard, but only if I already have a drive already formatted as HFS+, since I don't, I need to open Disk Utility first and for that I do need a mouse.

?

My system looks like this:

Processor: Intel Core i7-870 @ 2.93 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD6 (Rev 1.0)

RAM: 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance LP

Graphics: Sapphire 7970 Dual-X 3 GB (11197-11)

USB 3.0:?ORICO PVU3-5O2I (VIA?VL812) - not using this at all right now, its only used with USB pen drives, the keyboard and mouse are on USB 2.0.

?

and there are three hard disks installed right now, a 1 TB Samsung for Windows, and two 4 TB drives for storage, one Seagate and one Western Digital, I have a drive for OS X to go on but still need to connect that.

before I connect it, I wanted to see if OS X would work with the onboard SATA controller(s) (one Intel and two JMicron*) so i just booted it to open Disk Utility to see if all disk would show up, and if they did the intend was to connect the extra drive and install OS X (I want the system as a triple boot with Windows/OS X/Linux so I need to connect two drives, figured I'd just check the idea works before doing that, as I need to re-route about half the cables in the system for this).

?

and while trying that, I found the mouse doesn't work, tried save mode (-x), no difference, and everything else I find they talk about replacing the USB drivers, but I'm not sure if I should do that since the keyboard works, so I don't know if its something really related to the mouse (but I tried two, both the same, also both do work fine in Windows so the mice aren't dead) or if it may somehow only recognize some USB device classes, which would imply a driver issue, but which Kext versions should I try then? (and where to I get them and how should I install them on the USB drive?)

?

I do think it found my storage controllers, because when booting in verbose the NTFS drive reports 4 volumes it found, "System Reserved", "Windows" and then both the data drives ("Data" and "Archive").

if it finds the volumes it found the drives, so I'm also thinking, should I try to get the mouse working in the installer, or would it be easier to just format a drive with the previous hackintosh I build and try to install on that using the keyboard? cause I do believe you can install OS X entirely with the keyboard as long as you don't need anything but the Installer itself (e.g. don't have to run any other utilities first).

?

?

?

*technically three JMicron, but the last is used for the eSATA ports, Gigabyte says one is of the onboard ports uses a "Gigabyte SATA2", which is a JBM363, the other two are JBM362's, the only difference is that the 363 supports 4 drives (two only in IDE mode (electronically also wired to an IDE port), 2 in AHCI, RAID or IDE mode) and the 362's support only 2 drives (in AHCI, RAID or IDE mode).

6 answers to this question

Legacy USB is enabled, it won't actually boot the USB drive if either Legacy USB or Legacy USB Storage is disabled.

?

as for GenericUSBXHCI.kext, where should I get that from and where on the drive should I put it?

I'm honestly also somewhat doubtful if that would help though, XHCI is normally for USB 3.0, the only 3.0 controller I have doesn't have anything connected to it, the keyboard and mouse are connected to the onboard ports.

?

Edit:
I just tried using GenericUSBXHCI.kext from SourceForge.net, version 1.2.7 For Yosemite 14A329R, I still don't know fo sure where to put it, but I did find some people saying to put additional Kext's for during the installer in \Extra\Extentions\*.kext, I did that, and that did absolutely nothing.

mouse is still dead, keyboard still works.

?

as an extra note though, the mouse really doesn't turn on at all, it doesn't just not respond but the laser remains off as well, the trackpad on the keyboard is also on, but doesn't respond either.

(keyboard is a Razer DeathStalker Ultimate, the "SwitchBlade UI" features an integrated trackpad by Synaptics, while I've never used this particular one with OS X before, I do believe it uses a generic Synapstics driver, and I have used other Synaptics trackpads, which use the same driver under Windows, with OS X.)

Edited by foxofinfinety

I don't know what kind of mouse you are using, I have a Bluetooth Apple Magic Mouse, it does not work with the installer, I have to use a cheap wired USB mouse during install.
?
Other things to try:

• Boot flags -v GraphicsEnabler=No?USBBusFix=Yes

At the Apple install screen:

• Try unplugging/plugging the mouse in the same port
  • Try plugging the mouse in a different port
  • Since the keyboard works, try plugging the mouse into the keyboard USB port.

?

?

I also read a post on another forum thTa member with a P55 Express Motherboard had to install using Intel onboard graphics first then after the install, deal with the PCI express video card.
?
What version of OS X are you trying to install?
Please post your org.chameleon.boot.plist

?

I know the Magic Mouse won't work, as well as pretty much any other Bluetooth moues since you can't pair it.

I use my current standard mouse, a Logitech M-BT83 wired USB mouse, I also tried a Dell 0M534D which i also a wired USB mouse.

?

I tried the USBBusFix=Yes bootflag but that didn't change anything.

I then tried all ports on the computer, back panel and front panel, didn't change anything.

then I tried plugging the mouse into the USB Hub integrated in my display, and then both the Logitech USB mouse and the Synaptics trackpad in the keyboard suddenly worked fine, even though I had pugged the mouse into the back panel port on which the display's Hub is connected.

?

my machine doesn't have integrated graphics, the Intel Core i7-870 doesn't have a graphics core, and the GA-P55-UD6 doesn't have any graphics outputs.

?

OS X 10.10 (without the .1 update)

?

org.chameleon.boot.plist

?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>IGPEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

this is, however, on the USB drive, so what MyHack created by default, I didn't change it.

?

?

?

but it seems, for this system, the mouse just must be plugged into a USB Hub, and it works fine.

I am in OS X right now, but I have really only just finished installation.

still ned to run MB{censored} to get additional Kext's and a boot loader on the disk with OS X itself on it.

****NOTE****

Just letting you know, according to our forum's policy, Posting about TonyMacx86 and his "Tools" are not allowed and are [censored].

It is due to his using other developers's hard work and claiming it as his own.

?

A couple of more questions:
?
1. How did you use MyHack to create an 10.10 installer? Current versions 3.xx are for Mavericks and earlier.
?
? ? ? ?I really like the new Pandora 2.16 app from InsanelyMac, it has ?a "Create Installer", "Create RecoveryHD", and a "Post Installation"
? ??? ?utility all in ?one App. It walks you through the process step by step, and tells you exactly what it is doing.

? ? ? ?Here is a link to the insanely Mac Post where you can read more info and download the app.

? ? ? ?http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/302220-pandoras-box-20-candidate-3-roll-out/?

??

? ??? ?Hackintosh Vietnam - Ultimate AIO Tool 1.8.1?is also a very good post installation tool.

? ? ? ?http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/3842-hackintosh-vietnam-ultimate-aio-tool/

?

I used it to create my latest Yosemite 10.10 system.

?

2. org.Chameleon.boot.plist settings:

? ?Please check the settings highlighted in Red.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

?

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>?
<string>No</string>???<-----Your ATI 7970?this should be set to Yes, unless you have a custom DSDT.?
<key>IGPEnabler</key>??
<string>Yes</string>?<-----This setting is for?integrated?graphics and should be set to no.
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string> <-----Should be set to Yes for Yosemite?
</dict>
</plist>

I personally prefer using Clover as my Bootloader, Pandora 2 supports both Chameleon and Clover.

Haven't really been able to work on the system for a while due to some trouble with a server.

?

I really don't how I made the drive, I had made it pretty shortly after 10.10 came out, I assumed it was with Myhack because the volume label was "MyHack OS X Installer".

I have tried to make a new drive using Pandora, but that hasn't worked out well so far, it can create a USB install drive, but that drive is then useless as it will lock-up the BIOS during P.O.S.T. and can thus never be booted.

?

and before anyone suggests it, I've already testes, it's not the drive itself, I've tried two drive, both give the same result, formatting them back to an empty partition lets the system boot when they are connected.

recreate the installer on them, one again locks up the system during P.O.S.T.

?

this happens specifically if I choose "Enoch" as a bootloader, choosing Clover Legacy the system won't lock-up, but it also won't boot.

Clover also gives me a lot of options I've never seen before in my life, and I can't find any information on what they're for, so that help a lot either.

I believe Clover gave me "Boot0af: Error" and that's it, it's dinner time here right now so I'll try further when I get back.