zephfox

LGA1366 workstation (Intel 5520) based??

Question

Hi people, i'm new here, and although i'm aware there are hardware guides and such, my questions and ideas might be a little out of the ordinary so i'm asking anyway.

I wont jump ahead of myself though, my first comment is that I want to build using a used workstation based motherboard... specifically i'd like one for an LGA 1366 cpu using xeon cpu chips, meaning I assume the Intel 5520 chipset. When i've perused HCL type lists I never seem to see much listed for workstation gear, mostly desktops. I'd prefer to buy just a mobo with this but an entire older workstation isn't out of the question - my main criteria is using DDR3 ECC RAM. I also plan to multiboot it with non-Mac OS as well.

Further complicating things is that I would like to run OSX versions other than just the latest. One reason is for software compatibility - for instance i'm told that Final Cut Pro 7 will no longer work as of 10.13 no matter what you do, so that makes me want a dual boot with 10.12 and 10.13. Then I realize there might be other software that no longer works either so I can't say that's the only older OS I may be interested in! I'm not sure what else offhand because i'm new to mac stuff (except for the way old PowerPC days) but wanting to get back into it, learn about it, and start using apps under it.

I could expand things further but i'll wait to see how the first questions go.

5 answers to this question

On 2/8/2018 at 7:02 AM, zephfox said:

Thanks for the response!  :) Tackling line by line...  though first, are there either any other forums on the web or websites, specifically in regards to hardware compatibility lists for me to search or peruse endlessly?   Lists seem a little sparse at times but I assume it just means someone tested X and found X to work, similar hardware probably has a good chance of working but not 100% until you go be the guinea pig.

CPU - so there are specific cpu's that actually DONT work within a line?  I would have assumed anything should work.

Hi there, We r talking about older HW here. As for 1366 server or workstation system goes , At that time hackintosh was not very strong as now a days.So not much ppl  tried to install on these kinds of boards.But that not the case anymore.Now we have lots devs working on things and hacks are much easier to install.

As for intel 5520 chipset goes its supported in OSX.But because of different verder does different suff to a mobo sometimes things dont not work as intended.Because of  case bios plays important role.like if your bios doesnt have AHCI support then you have to patch kext for it(there are kext patchs) or you have to install OSx in RAID mode.Also some verder locks things up in the bios .example MSR lock so you cant have proper CPU power management or they do diff things on dual CPU boards. These kinds of things creates whole new  issues when maintain or install different kinds patches.This is why not of the ppl in hack community asked for HW info 1st.

Dual boots are just easy only issue you will have is with installing OSx ,linux and windows have far better support and they just plug n play OS.

Now as i mention before Almost all Intel CPU works on hackintosh but some CPU cant use intel Speed steps means you cant have CPU multiplier working properly.This called  AICPUM or CPUPm in osx.

As for ram goes if you are intend to use more than 64gb then you might need to patch DSDT and use clover bootloader patches for it.There patches for them to work.

nVidia cards are should work,some of the cards have OOB ,some you have to use nvidia webdrivers.I personally used k600,400,300 and gtx650,980.780 etc

https://dm0s.wordpress.com/supported-hardware-for-hackintosh/

For extra cards most of them are usually works on ox but if u want better support, i would recom. buy apple supported cards.

keep us posted

N.B just choose  HW so we can give yo more feedback so you can understand more.

Good hack

On 2/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, zephfox said:

Hi people, i'm new here, and although i'm aware there are hardware guides and such, my questions and ideas might be a little out of the ordinary so i'm asking anyway.
I wont jump ahead of myself though, my first comment is that I want to build using a used workstation based motherboard... specifically i'd like one for an LGA 1366 cpu using xeon cpu chips, meaning I assume the Intel 5520 chipset. When i've perused HCL type lists I never seem to see much listed for workstation gear, mostly desktops. I'd prefer to buy just a mobo with this but an entire older workstation isn't out of the question - my main criteria is using DDR3 ECC RAM. I also plan to multiboot it with non-Mac OS as well.

Hi there, Now we went  long ahead in hackintosh installations,tools and supports.Even AMD cpus runs well in osx.So you shouldn't have much issue in installing osx in a desktop computer, 

But its always better to run osx in most compatible hardware to make life easier or long term support.As for 1366 goes Cpu has no issue u just might not able to use Native cpu management for it.

Things you might check before buy hardware:

1.CPU

Most of them are supported with CPuPM.some dont but got workaround.

2.MoBo

Most important part of a build.so try to check on vender site for details on chipset and other related I/Os .Also bios is an important things to check.Now as for intel 5520 chipset its works on osx but its kinda old HW but will work.

• Chipset
  • IDE
  • Sata
  • Audio
  • Firewire
  • USB

2. GPU:

I would like to go for nVidia because nVidia makes driver for osx. Amd works better in some cases because of native driver/kext support on osx.But For amd i recom. R390 series or below.

4.Others

any extra card you want to have etc.Not that important but good to check them before buying.

N.B: also post your HW info before buy or if u want to go more info on that HW about hackintosh.Its easy for us if you post a HW so we can u more in depth information.

Good hack  

Thanks for the response!  :) Tackling line by line...  though first, are there either any other forums on the web or websites, specifically in regards to hardware compatibility lists for me to search or peruse endlessly?  I mean I know of InsanelyMac, {a place that just got censored out of my post, though maybe I understand why, since I saw some unfriendly mod behavior there}, and here.  Lists seem a little sparse at times but I assume it just means someone tested X and found X to work, similar hardware probably has a good chance of working but not 100% until you go be the guinea pig.

CPU - so there are specific cpu's that actually DONT work within a line?  I would have assumed anything should work.

Motherboard - this is the trickiest problem i'm trying to solve.  Searching in the past for Intel 5520 and OSX86 I didn't see much, no I haven't exhaustively poured over everything but I wasn't even sure which website had the most complete list(s).  Also i'm aware what may work on one older or newer version isn't guaranteed to work on any other.  One reason I don't mind making an LGA 1366 first build is I may actually want to twiddle around with substantially older OSX at times, to the point that even if I were to build a newer rig NOW, i'd still want to go back and build an older rig later, to run that older OSX that the newer one cant anyways.  So i'm just starting on the old rig period to make my learning machine/lower risk.  By the time i'm confident in my Mac installing and using skills i'll see about newer hardware options.

I'd love to find out if some people have some tested working Workstation-class boards (specifically Intel 5520 as that's the only option I see for 1366, and they are cheaper than X58 while supporting alot more RAM which I need) and might just play it safe getting what they got.  Even adding aftermarket cards for other features or to get around not working on board hardware is not out of the question as a workaround provided the core mobo works properly - because I need to multiboot this mobo with Windows and Linux as well, and i'm choosing LGA 1366 because I need alot of RAM (64gb plus) for those versions.

GPU is already pretty well set to Nvidia - possibly even an old Quadro, if there's any benefit (albeit real old ones) or slightly newer softmodded ones.  (like a Geforce 200-400 series, I forget what they can mod into)  I might, eventually, like a truly new GPU when bitcoinmania takes a dive and something like a 1070 becomes affordable.  In general i'm using old hardware because of the starving college student syndrome - I need enough to get the work done, and no more for now... will upgrade later.

One possibly important feature I would like support for is to know which add in SAS controllers might be available (Serial Attached SCSI) specifically with a plan to use an LTO6 Ultrium tape drive.  This is to be an Audio/Video and light 3d rendering rig and will periodically be backing up alot of data.  If there are critical differences with different SAS HBA's (or somehow LTO drives, though I can't see how) please inform.

Edited by zephfox

On 2/9/2018 at 10:40 PM, Dmos said:

As for intel 5520 chipset goes its supported in OSX.

nVidia cards are should work,some of the cards have OOB ,some you have to use nvidia webdrivers.I personally used k600,400,300 and gtx650,980.780 etc

https://dm0s.wordpress.com/supported-hardware-for-hackintosh/

For extra cards most of them are usually works on ox but if u want better support, i would recom. buy apple supported cards.

I left in the segments most relevant.  As far as CPU support I mostly meant are there any oddities within a single lineage, like if a slower LGA 1366 works should a faster one, or is there something like "only up to X cores" for LGA 2011 ones and such.

If Intel 5520 workstation chipset is supported great - what i'm asking for is suggestions of motherboards with this chipset, which maybe works better so I can make a shopping list?  I've looked at HCL's (not exhaustively) but all I ever seem to see are desktop boards I mean, ie X58.  I'm still wondering if there's more than one HCL out there or if one is 'definitive' or such since I didn't even know Intel 5520 was supported until you mentioned it for instance.

FWIW my primary reason for wanting a workstation board is support of lots of DDR3 ECC RAM so boards supporting anywhere from 128-288GB I think i've seen out there is what i'm looking for to be a bit future proof!  I also like lots of RAM slots because less dense RAM can tend to be cheaper even if I don't max capacity.  (I will probably start at 64gb but plan to upgrade later to at least 128-144GB if all works well)

Gigabyte sounds to be the most compatible solution, I am not sure which specific boards they have but if there are recommended models i'm all ears!  As soon as I can find say one or more Gigabyte Intel 5520 type board options, with lots of RAM, available used on ebay for ~$60-100 (hoping no more as this is a budget build), that's known to work with OSX that will be my first purchase.  Followed by CPU and RAM.  Alternately if there's highly compatible with OSX options for Supermicro and Tyan and Intel those are fine too - I may have other reasons for preferring them.

Are there any apple supported SAS HBA cards or SAS Expanders?

Edited by zephfox
cleaning up further/mistake

On 2/11/2018 at 1:49 PM, zephfox said:

I left in the segments most relevant.  As far as CPU support I mostly meant are there any oddities within a single lineage, like if a slower LGA 1366 works should a faster one, or is there something like "only up to X cores" for LGA 2011 ones and such.

Apple does dual cpu systems so dual cpu work but there clock limited to 4.2 over this osx runs unstable.Cores are not an issue,Apple has 12 core.

If Intel 5520 workstation chipset is supported great - what i'm asking for is suggestions of motherboards with this chipset, which maybe works better so I can make a shopping list?  I've looked at HCL's (not exhaustively) but all I ever seem to see are desktop boards I mean, ie X58.

I already explain to you what to look in a mobo.If you are looking for a board that someone already ruining ox then you have to google it.HCL for server boards are not much out there as for normal boards.

i give u example: Intel S5520UR Server System Motherboard

First thing i will do is check it to vender website for more hw specification details like chipset, 3rd party controllers, chip( lan ,sound, expansion option etc.). Then ill try to find its bios info and board manual.Recent updated bios version, support list for different HW.I not sure what do you mean by "all I ever seem to see are desktop boards I mean, ie X58" because ppl tried them and posted somewhere.I already told you 5520 boards not that common in hackintosh.But newer systems like 2011 are common and lot of have them.

I'm still wondering if there's more than one HCL out there or if one is 'definitive' or such since I didn't even know Intel 5520 was supported until you mentioned it for instance.

There are not much about 5520 atm and its a older.All i can say the chip set is supported.If you want confirm working system then i have to say sry ,i dont know which board will work but if you post a board ,we can take a look.

http://www.vpc6.net/Site/Blog/Entries/2012/9/2_Hackintosh_Dual_Xeon_1366_Special_Build.html

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1128681

FWIW my primary reason for wanting a workstation board is support of lots of DDR3 ECC RAM so boards supporting anywhere from 128-288GB I think i've seen out there is what i'm looking for to be a bit future proof!  I also like lots of RAM slots because less dense RAM can tend to be cheaper even if I don't max capacity.  (I will probably start at 64gb but plan to upgrade later to at least 128-144GB if all works well)

Im not sure  what you going to do with 64++ ram unless you want VMs and VB.Net or somethings that do lot of work to run but its you choice.osx supports 64GB OOB but for you have do some patch.

Gigabyte sounds to be the most compatible solution, I am not sure which specific boards they have but if there are recommended models i'm all ears!  As soon as I can find say one or more Gigabyte Intel 5520 type board options, with lots of RAM, available used on ebay for ~$60-100 (hoping no more as this is a budget build), that's known to work with OSX that will be my first purchase.  Followed by CPU and RAM.  Alternately if there's highly compatible with OSX options for Supermicro and Tyan and Intel those are fine too - I may have other reasons for preferring them.

GA boards use to have near apple HW things in them and ACPI tables are much similar but now all kinds of boards are supported and they have better ACPI tables coding.

Before purchase try to google things.If you are thinking hackintosh is plug n play then go for real mac ,Hacintosh has bit learning carve, same boards sometimes does work properly casue of bios or setup you did wrong.This is why we always ask for HW list, which you can get by just googling them.

Are there any apple supported SAS HBA cards or SAS Expanders?

http://bfy.tw/GZDz

good hack