• Donation Goals

Pay the bills

Thanks to everyone who has donated, all donations go right back into making the site better!

We used this to buy a better donation plugin so we will be able to set up donator rewards,  goals for new features and even premium support for that tosh that won't hack :)

Donate Now

Question

I installed Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard via iDeneb v1.3 on my old Dell Dimension 4600 that no longer has an GeForce FX 5200 128MB AGP and has an ATI Radeon X1300 AGP 256MB.  After enough hassle of getting it to boot onto the desktop, I noticed QE/CI has been automatically enabled and works properly, but there is two problems.  1. is that it's stuck on 1024x768  2. When I move the mouse sometimes the cursor leaves a texture from a previous window or from somewhere on the screen.  For one thing is that I can live with the 1024x768 resolution if I have to, but the random texture problem is pretty annoying when trying to use the OS.  And also, I don't care if I'm stuck on Leopard and older programs with only 32bit support.  Help would be appreciated.

This machine:
Dell Dimension 4600 (not the 4600i)
BIOS: A02 (from around 2003)
RAM: 1024MB of RAM (or 1GB)
Graphics Card: Used to have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200, but now has an ATI Radeon X1300 on the AGP slot of the machine
Keyboard: HP keyboard (I believe it belonged to the HP Pavilion 7935)
Mouse: Some mouse (At the moment I'm not sure about the name/brand, but it's on the USB extender connected to the back USB port)
Sound: AC97
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 HT 2.8GHZ

PS: Someone else had this problem (but wasn't using iDeneb) and they were suggested to upgrade to 10.5.8, but he didn't do the backup kexts and kernel and replace Mac OS X Leopard combo method from back then, thus resulting in a kernel panic upon boot with him having to reinstall Mac OS X and gave up afterwards and decided to use a different graphics card.  I followed this guide (except I didn't do the Nvidia stuff because I don't have an Nvidia card anymore): https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/143610-howto-dell-dimension-4600-ideneb-os-x-1055-perfect-install/

1 answer to this question

Posted (edited)

It's been a few years but I once ran Snow Leopard with a PCIe x16 Radeon HD X1300 card on my old 2007 Dell Vostro 200 ST (G35 chipset, FSB1333 C2D 64bit CPU). Initially had to fickle with it to to work properly until I installed a later version a Chameleon that fully supported it. Try Chameleon versions r2170 up to r2468.

This being said, this is 2018 so iDeneb, Leopard and your Pentium 4-based Dimension 4600 are totally obsolete, long past their sell-by-date...

Edited by RV_ABZ