Sign in to follow this  
AsereBLN

EFiX™ autopsy / disassembled

Congratulations :-) You beat me up to it :-)

Looks like nothing out of the extraordinary there. Just some kind of plain flash storage device.

Great Work....I believe it is pretty much what everyone expected. A USB stick. Nothing special at all. But, an excellent job getting it apart and leaving the circuit intact.

So....which part of the circuit is the "really intricate hardware protection" I seem to remember from their FAQ's?

These guys are paranoid. Scratching out serial numbers? Lasering off part numbers?

Ridiculous.

Guest noobie

It's depressing--paid more for a glorified USB stick than either for the CPU with tens of millions of transistors and on-die cache memory or for a motherboard with infinitely more circuit complexity or for a GPU with millions of transistors and 1 GB of onboard memory. Even Apple puts $170 of parts in its $300 (?) iPhone GS.

ASEM puts in $10 of parts and charges $250? OK. so there are no economies of scale for ASEM and they have the so-called "hundreds" of programmers to pay, but $250 for $10 in parts smells of something that isn't roses.

BTW, did you read that the new 4.6.12 firmware brings back the LAN but kills TimeMachine and a few other things again.

Sign in to follow this