zosobao5150

Useful Software Tools

To generate an unique UUID to put in the plist inside the UUID.kext package.

In SL it's preferred you use the UUID of your boot drive instead of a randomly generated one.

After wrapping my head around the whole idea of implementing an EFI in software, it appears to me the hardest bit is obtaining and modifying a DSDT table for a given PC.

I see the tools here for modifying a DSDT, that is decompiling it, editing it and recompiling it into something Chameleon can use. What I don't see is a tool for obtaining a DSDT from a random PC, aside from extracting it from a BIOS image file. And that only works for certain BIOS makers.

Is there a tool I can use to extract a DSDT from a random PC? Assuming the PC is an ACPI PC that has an APIC (and thus supports more than 16 interrupts) and can support more than one CPU. And what would this tool need to run on? If such a tool runs on Linux, there's plenty of rescue CD images that could be used.

You can obtain a DSDT via linux, but you'll still need to fix it (CMOS Reset fix,....)

For the original DSDT you will need a Linux LiveCD (I recommend Ubuntu) .... Open a terminal and run the command:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

You can obtain a DSDT via linux, but you'll still need to fix it (CMOS Reset fix,....)

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

...is that what that command line was? For some reason I read that line as being run on a MacOS X terminal.

Sorry about sounding like a clueless n00b...

OK So I can obtain a Linux Live CD, apparently ideally based on the Ubuntu distro, and snag a PC's DSDT this way. That's good. Fixing it using the other tools should be easier, then.

Now about this other step that was mentioned:

ioreg -lw0 > ioregdump.txt

AsereBLN asked for this if you were to ask him to patch your DSDT for you. This is where I got confused; this is the command that's supposed to run on OS X Terminal. Is there an equivalent on Ubuntu / Linux Live to obtain this, if I were to ask for his help? Is this even necessary?

My reasoning for this is I want to do all of this without any prior access to a Mac. I'd ideally want to have a Linux Live CD, an OS installation CD, and that's it. The Live CD would have the editing tools and (hopefully) a Chameleon installer or at least everything I'd need to install Chameleon by hand on a partition, a boot CD, a USB stick or whatever. Most of the examples I've seen use a real Mac or another Hackintosh as a "seed" for the target machine.