• Donate

OSX86.NET lives on your donations!  Please contribute what you can so we can get rid of those pesky ads !

Sign in to follow this  
Brady87

Newish Boot Loader that boots Media from USB

Boot Think.

Latest version is 2.3.18

here

Update from 2.3.17 with this here

It Boots Retail Leopard and Snow Leopard DVD from USB Stick

It Boots Leopard from HDD

It Boots Snow Leopard From HDD in 32-bit or 64-bit mode

Custom DSDT loading

Custom Boot.plist Loading

Custom smbios.plist Loading

It all works Great.

Heres How:

1.Download Latest boot think from link above

2.Format a usb stick to GUID Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3.Install boot think to your usb stick

4.To boot Snow Leopard navigate to CD folder in /Darwin/System in the usb stick, In there replace extensions.mkext with the extensions.mkext found in snow leopard retail dvd found in /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ ( you will need to show hidden files to navigate to the folder in the dvd )

5. Still in the CD folder Delete what is in usrmkext

6. Still in the CD folder Delete what is in extensions folder and replace with you extensions you use to boot Snow Leopard. Loads of Snow Leopard Kexts found Here

**Note if you want to boot Leopard retail you must follow above steps but use the extensions.mkext form Leopard DVD and use Leopard compatible kexts***

6. Now in LibrarySL found in /Darwin/System on the usb stick delete what is ever in the Extensions folder

7. Still in the LibrarySL folder go to the x64 folder then extensions folder within the x64 folder then delete what ever is in there and replace with your Snow leopard kexts ( use same kexts as you used in the Cd folder )

8. Repeat step 7 for the x86 folder in /Darwin/System

9. To Boot Leopard from HDD you will need to place your Leopard compatible extensions or extensions.mkext in the Library folder found in /Darwin/System.

10. Custom DSDT goes into /Darwin in usb stick

11. Custom boot.plist goes into /Darwin in usb stick ( Remove boot__.pist )

12. Custom smbios.plist goes into /Darwin in usb stick ( Remove Smbios__.plist)

Thats about it, boot from usb stick and if you want to boot form retail dvd press C a few times when the spinning cursor is shown or if you want to boot from HDD don't press C and let Boot think enter its GUI then Select HDD.

Enjoy.

Links

Here and Here

Yep installed on both my hacks and it is f*cking nice!! works perfect in 10.6!!

Thanks man for the info it is a very good alternative with a nice GUI. :cool:

Does this bootloader not boot Windows?

The GUI only shows my Leopard & Snow Leopard partitions - not my Data or Win XP drives. Chameleon does.

Also, if it's only referencing one Boot.plist file, is it default booting in 64 bit for SL? Do I need to add a flag to boot in 32 bit mode? Will this interfere with Leopard booting?

Maybe too many questions.....

Does this bootloader not boot Windows?

The GUI only shows my Leopard & Snow Leopard partitions - not my Data or Win XP drives. Chameleon does.

Also, if it's only referencing one Boot.plist file, is it default booting in 64 bit for SL? Do I need to add a flag to boot in 32 bit mode? Will this interfere with Leopard booting?

Maybe too many questions.....

Hey,

Boot think hides the HDD in the GUI that wont boot, so that explains your data HDD being hidden but Im not sure about your XP i haven't tested with it because i haven't used XP for years but i know for sure it boots Vista and Windows 7 fine.

If you want to show all HDD when you reach the GUI press F8 then enter this #p=+ hit enter then restart you computer then you will see all HDD in GUI.

To get back to Boot Think hidding no bootable HDD follow above steps but type #p=- then restart.

About 32-bit mode in boot.plist enter arch=i386 in Kernel Flags then you will boot into 32-bit every time and it wont affect Leopard in anyway.

Hey,

Boot think hides the HDD in the GUI that wont boot, so that explains your data HDD being hidden but Im not sure about your XP i haven't tested with it because i haven't used XP for years but i know for sure it boots Vista and Windows 7 fine.

If you want to show all HDD when you reach the GUI press F8 then enter this #p=+ hit enter then restart you computer then you will see all HDD in GUI.

To get back to Boot Think hidding no bootable HDD follow above steps but type #p=- then restart.

About 32-bit mode in boot.plist enter arch=i386 in Kernel Flags then you will boot into 32-bit every time and it wont affect Leopard in anyway.

I have -X32 in mine and boots in 32bit perfectly fine, got the info in the boot_Think forum on insanelymac....

I have -X32 in mine and boots in 32bit perfectly fine, got the info in the boot_Think forum on insanelymac....

arch=i386 and -x32 are the same thing.

-x32 don't work with Chameleon RC3 but arch=i386 dose