Sign in to follow this  
Brady87

Newish Boot Loader that boots Media from USB

I always looked at this Boot Think since version 2, but I don't know what I should think about it. It's based on Chameleon, which is Boot-132 based. Both Boot-132 from Apple and Chameleon are released under the Apple Opensource license and for both you can download the sources, as required by the license. Not so for Boot Think! Why the person/persons behind Boot Think is not releasing the source code?

You only get a binary for the Bootloader itself and the installer. It comes from China. Anybody is knowing the person behind? This person puts a lot of effort into it, to make DVD booting possible and to provide a Mac-based and Windows-based installer. Why?

I don't know if Boot Think contains any malware, like a rootkit / keylogger / backdoor... or something like that. The installer runs with Administrator rights and the Bootloader can do/inject whatever he wants into the kernel, so for both it would be so easy to install anything, on the installation PC (Mac or Windows) and on the final OS X PC.

Just my thoughts.

Hey,

Boot think hides the HDD in the GUI that wont boot, so that explains your data HDD being hidden but Im not sure about your XP i haven't tested with it because i haven't used XP for years but i know for sure it boots Vista and Windows 7 fine.

If you want to show all HDD when you reach the GUI press F8 then enter this #p=+ hit enter then restart you computer then you will see all HDD in GUI.

To get back to Boot Think hidding no bootable HDD follow above steps but type #p=- then restart.

About 32-bit mode in boot.plist enter arch=i386 in Kernel Flags then you will boot into 32-bit every time and it wont affect Leopard in anyway.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Will try the F8 tip and see if it makes my XP partition visible. It's no massive drama as I can always access it through the Darwin bootloader. It would just be more convenient.

Good to know that the arch=i386/-x32 flas both work and won't reek havoc with my Leopard install. :)

BTW, Asere you have now freaked me out a touch. HAHAHA!!

I always looked at this Boot Think since version 2, but I don't know what I should think about it. It's based on Chameleon, which is Boot-132 based. Both Boot-132 from Apple and Chameleon are released under the Apple Opensource license and for both you can download the sources, as required by the license. Not so for Boot Think! Why the person/persons behind Boot Think is not releasing the source code?

You only get a binary for the Bootloader itself and the installer. It comes from China. Anybody is knowing the person behind? This person puts a lot of effort into it, to make DVD booting possible and to provide a Mac-based and Windows-based installer. Why?

I don't know if Boot Think contains any malware, like a rootkit / keylogger / backdoor... or something like that. The installer runs with Administrator rights and the Bootloader can do/inject whatever he wants into the kernel, so for both it would be so easy to install anything, on the installation PC (Mac or Windows) and on the final OS X PC.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe we should ask the author to see? But I doubt is doing something bad as apparently alot of chinese people is using it, see the quantity of post on his official forum. So if something was wrong there won't be so much people using it...And he released already quite a couple of update so if something was wrong somebody should have caught it...

Also when you see that some people steal and make money from other people work I can understand he doesn't want to release the sources, you know what I mean....