• Donation Goals

Pay the bills

Thanks to everyone who has donated, all donations go right back into making the site better!

We used this to buy a better donation plugin so we will be able to set up donator rewards,  goals for new features and even premium support for that tosh that won't hack :)

Donate Now
Sign in to follow this  
uncle.A

Help with Extensions.mkext

Guys, I give up. I thought I will be able to do it on my own, but this is 4th day I spent on it and it drives me nuts.

Ok, first things first - maybe someone will read this and they will find it useful.

My mobo is: X58A-UD3R with i7 920. Graphic card Gigabyte 9800GT.

My Chameleon 2 RC4 resides on USB chip.

Now, I have installed SL 10.6 on it using Chameleon from EX58A. Everything worked fine apart from Network (but that has been done with RealtekR1000SL.kext - however no Gigabit speeds, any advice on this?).

Of course my audio did not work, therefore I was still searching for correct kexts etc, and found USB image for X58A-UD7 from kexts.com. To my surprise audio works but only after I updated SL to 10.6.2. But my computer does not restart properly - it frezes.

Now my problem, I have 2 /Extra folders that I want to merge, as I want to move kexts responsible for Power and Restart to the new image, but I am puzzled as to how to do it.

On the old one (the one with working power) all kexts are in /E/E folder. On the new one (USB image) everything is in Extensions.mkext. I tried unpacking mkext to Extensions in my first step checking if audio would still be on, and bootloader hangs on gray screen with Apple logo. I have read that if mkext is corrupted or non-existent it would read /E/E. What am I doing wrong here. I would like to have these kexts in /E/E as I could still add some stuff to it later on. Somehow it could be done as the old /Extra folder had everything in /E/E folder and no Extensions.mkext.

Also, do you guys know how to make SPDIF to work? I have my output connected to graphic card and TV connected to it via HDMI - be careful if you update to 10.6.2. If you have TV connected to HDMI computer will freeze. You have to update gf kexts to version 10.6.1.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Andy

First off, welcome!

Second, please post your full specs in your sig.

IMHO, people make too big a deal about the Extensions.mkext. It really is not necessary. It might shave a second off boot at best. Just put all your kexts in Extensions. If once you have been running stable for a while and you are happy with your configuration, then worry about the mkext.

If you are using an updated boot file (Asere or Chameleon RC5 pre-release), you should really only need FakeSMC, LegacyHDA, RealtekR1000SL & IONetworkingFamily, and maybe something for the Orange icons. Just get the latest versions of these and stick them in E/E.

Thanks,

I agree with you, I do not need mkext. But as I am a newbie in hackintosh world, after reading a lot of stuff my impression was that I could just unpack the mkext, put the files into Extentions and voila...

Now either this is not exactly true or I just dont know how to unpack mkexts properly (I would vote for the latter). I tried unpacking and putting it to Extensions but then Chameleon would freeze on the apple logo...

What is the correct way of doing this? Should I use i386 or x64 mode (my proc is 64 bit, but I am not sure how Chameleon comes into play with all of this)? I have separate USB drive for this purpose, so my /E/E are detached from SL.

Sign in to follow this