Sign in to follow this  
themaestro

Not even 5% there...

Final things to sort are dual boot with Win XP (maybe, I really hate windows though) and I want to double check, I am I going to need to have the Chameleon USB always in or can I re-install somehow to a small partition on my HD that acts in the same way?

I don't know about dual boot with Xp since I haven't used XP for ages. But for your Chameleon USB: yes, you can install boot files on your HD. The same way you installed on your USB. If you didn't do it with an installer. If installer, you can point to your HD as a target of the installation. Then you need to choose this HD as a first boot device.

However, as someone who had used this method for a while, I would advise against this method. Whenever you make some changes in your config files and it results in KP (kernel panic) or GSOD (gray screen of death) you will be out of options. To change the files again you need a running system but if system crashes - you don't have it. Even if you try to boot from an USB stick, Chameleon will still use the config files from your HD and - KP or GSOD again. Been there, done that, have a T-shirt.

I, as some others here, choose to use 2 Sticks. One as a permanent boot stick and one to try stuff out. If I try something new, I do that on my experimental stick and then boot from there. If everything works fine and it is better than my old config - I move this new config on my permanent stick. This way I KNOW I will always be able to boot my OSX.

Good to hear you are up and running.... Please do follow Skipper's advice about the separate boot sticks.... way safer this way.

As far as XP, Chameleon cannot really boot to XP, because XP needs to be drive hd0... and with Chameleon this cannot be... you can read my post here if you MUST, but be prepared for a lot of work. The other easy method is hitting the F12, prior to boot of Chameleon (Energy Start screen). This will allow you to select booting to your XP drive.

http://www.efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=642

I would advice using Win 7... It is quite good and I am used to it now... I went from XP to Win7... without horrible pain..

Gppd luck.

Sign in to follow this