• Donation Goals

Pay the bills

Thanks to everyone who has donated, all donations go right back into making the site better!

We used this to buy a better donation plugin so we will be able to set up donator rewards,  goals for new features and even premium support for that tosh that won't hack :)

Donate Now
Sign in to follow this  
Skipper

Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.3

Question

What do you mean exactly by "cosmetic" and "boot or SL recognizing yr CPU" ?

What I stated - when you enter the details in your SM bios it is effective overwriting what the bootload perceives as your CPU, the change is cosmetic and if you called it a "mickeymouse" you would see tat in "Your about"...

Those of you who have lost audio since downloading 10.6.3 thanks to "Kizwan" over at Insanelymac, I have found a fix which involves making hex changes to the AppleHDa.kext file in System/Library Extensions.

Looked daunting at first but the useful and free Hex Fiend and a bit of copy and paste terminal work did the trick. The downloaded AppleHDA.kext contains 8508ec10 as the default audio device, I just need to change this to 8908ec10 for my on board ALC889.

Again thanks to kizwan for the information and encouragement.

Exact procedure as follows:

1) sudo -s

- press Enter & enter your password & press Enter

2) mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext ~/Desktop/

- Move AppleHDA.kext file to Desktop. press Enter.

3) cd ~/Desktop

- press Enter

4) chown -R tony:staff AppleHDA.kext

- change tony with your computer account name. Press Enter. Don't close Terminal application yet.

- Use your favorite hex editor to edit "AppleHDA" file (in AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOs/ folder). Change all 8508ec10 with your audio device ID. E.g. if ALC889 change to 8908ec10 (change all). Save. Return to Terminal application.

5) chown -R root:wheel AppleHDA.kext

- press Enter.

6) mv AppleHDA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

- press Enter.

- reboot.

Hi Tony. Long time since I've talked to you. Hope everything is going well!

I just tried your instructions for the audio fix. It works, but I no longer have auto-switching to headphones. Did you lose this ability also? What do you have in E/E for audio? I am using only LegacyHDA. If I remove this, no audio at all.

If I plug in some headphones to my front port, the volume and audio controls lock up until I unplug the headphones, and of course the headphones dont register.

Thanks,

~Aargh

Hi Tony. Long time since I've talked to you. Hope everything is going well!

I just tried your instructions for the audio fix. It works, but I no longer have auto-switching to headphones. Did you lose this ability also? What do you have in E/E for audio? I am using only LegacyHDA. If I remove this, no audio at all.

If I plug in some headphones to my front port, the volume and audio controls lock up until I unplug the headphones, and of course the headphones dont register.

Thanks,

~Aargh

Hi Aarg,

Yes - its been a long time.

I was so delighted that the audio worked fine from a hearing sound point of view that at first I did not notice exactly what you describe plus whatever you select in Sys pref audio, makes no difference.

I was glad to get the sound back and it works fine apart from what you describe . I lost my sound after the MacPro (4.1) update a few weeks ago and had to use a USB Griffin iMic dongle for sound, but now Apple have hard coded the audio so it might be more difficult now. I use the LegacyHDA.kext and fakesmc as the only kexts. The LegacyHDA could be the prob as it is still the original - I dont know sufficiently enough about how it works to offer a sensible opinion.

There are no errors on boot and I have a logitech 2, plus woofer system connected to the green out of the MB, and I can attach headphones to the wired remote to listen in private.

I will leave as is at the moment as the audio sounds fine and await any developments with Cartri work, as if there is a P55 MB that works with his BIOS then I would try that. If you hear anything please let me know....

Please see this link - I have asked Kizwan for advice on the prob - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941&pid=1442687&mode=threaded&start=700#entry1442687