Sign in to follow this  
fxart7

Someone explain this one to me please

Question

Hi Names Art, I'm a noob here on the site. I've been lurking around for about a couple of weeks. I've just been soaking it in. Here's the quick version of my story. I built a new computer system for myself just after Christmas. I had the idea of dual booting OSX and WIN 7 while building the new system. So I'm reading and watching videos {censored} and Lifehacker then I find this site and it was AWESOME. So I get the dual boot set up running with Snow Leopard and Win 7 and everything is working and cool then I go to upgrade the OSX to 10.6.8 so I tryout the new Adobe Lightroom 4 beta.

The update when ok, On reboot I lost my ethernet and my sound but a little fiddle and installing new ethernet driver got me back online but I still have no sound. I read post and opinions on how to fix problems like it. I tried several type of drivers or kexts, Attempts with a couple of MB{censored} versions and had no luck. The type of sound I have is MB builtin audio Realtek ALC889 which did work prior to the update. Now here is the part that I don't get at all. If I use my iB{censored} ver3.2 disc to boot the system which seems to bypass the start files on the MAC HD. I have sound. Reboot with the disc removed the sound is gone. So its some kind of driver issue but I'm clueless. As I said I've tried several types of Kext and they all install fine and I use MB{censored} or KB{censored} to fix the permissions but no sound.

So I would be gratefull for any explanation and fixes for my sound problem. I could also use any suggestions for system imaging software. So I can backup a fully working system in the event of problems like this is the future.

Thanks Art

3 answers to this question

Thanks Kyndder, It took me two tries but I got it the Kext in and now I have audio again.

When you get the chance, can you tell me why this file worked over the MB{censored} drivers. I am trying to learn as much about why it work as well as how. Not that I actually know how it works either. :)

Art

Thanks Kyndder, It took me two tries but I got it the Kext in and now I have audio again.

When you get the chance, can you tell me why this file worked over the multibeast drivers. I am trying to learn as much about why it work as well as how. Not that I actually know how it works either. :)

Art

Probably the patch used on that AppleHDA is the one that works better for your system...

;)

Enjoy...