Sign in to follow this  
Mazda

Changing wireless card for an Airport one?

Question

Hi.

I was wondering if I could change my laptop's mini PCI-E wireless card, for a genuine Airport Extreme one.

I already checked that it would fit in my laptop, and I'm about to buy the Airport, but I still have a question in my mind. The WiFi card I have now is a Ralink RT2700E, which should work with Ralink RT2680/2790 utility, but the utility only says "No Device!!!" when launching it. So I wanted to know if it's just my wireless not being compatible with OSX, or that my PCI-E isn't compatible (and in that case, it wouldn't be worth changing the card). My PCI-E chipset is Nvidia Nforce MCP67.

Does someone know?

3 answers to this question

I'm always forced to boot 32-bit, as I have an AMD CPU, which does not support 64 on OSX.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, but I think my laptop will go back to Windows, as I can't seem to make power management work, thus it getting way too noisy.

i have bought this one : http://www.ebay.nl/itm/390272379921?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

it works fine on my netbook, it recognize as third party airport, and works just fine withouth any kexts or other drivers...

took about 2 weeks to ship, but its very cheap and has no shipping costs ! :D

I recommend this one !: P :D

i have bought this one : http://www.ebay.nl/itm/390272379921?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

it works fine on my netbook, it recognize as third party airport, and works just fine withouth any kexts or other drivers...

took about 2 weeks to ship, but its very cheap and has no shipping costs ! :D

but keep in mind i Run Snow Leopard 32 Bit mode !

I recommend this one !: P :D