Sign in to follow this  
fatalmp

Good Idea ?

Question

Hi, I'm a video editor and I want to buy the most powerful mac pro but I don't want to pay the full price ! So an hackintosh will be perfect for me.

Here's what I wanna buy but I want to make sure that i won't waste my money :

1 x Asus Z9PE-D8 WS MB LGA2011

2 x Intel S2011 6 Core - Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz 12MB Cache

2 x Corsair Hydro H80 All Socket CPU COOLING

8 x 8GB DDR3 ECC REG MICRON MT36JSZF1G72PZ?-1G4D1DD

1 x Disk SSD Corsair Performance Pro - 128GB - 2.5" SATA 3 / SATA 6GBps,Marvell

1 x EVGA GTX680 FTW+ 4Gb 2xDVI,HDMI,DP

1 x Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300WATT 80PLUS Gold, Full Modular

1 x Lg Blu-Ray Rewriter 10x, Sata Black

1 x Cooler Master Cooler Master Cosmos II Full Tower ATX

This Hackintosh = 4500 EUR

The official MAC PRO = 9500 EUR

Will I be able to make the hackintosh of my dream with that ?

Thanks guys for helping me!

Hackintosh rocks !

I don't know if any of the LGA 2011 boards are supported. I have a ASUS P6X58-E WS LGA 1366 MB with 12 GB of Ram. I have installed both Lion 10.7.0 and then updated it to 10.7.4 as well as Mountain Lion GM. After about an hour it crashes using both OS X. I may be having heat issues although I am using a H70 water cooler on it which is about 1 and a half old. Since there is no way for me to monitor the temps with OS X (as far as I know) I cannot see how hot its getting. I am OC'ing it from 2.8 to 3.6 though. Using Windows I use core temp to monitor the temps.

I am running 3 monitors out of it with Windows but Lion will only allow me to view 2 of them, the other one goes out/black. I can change resolution on both screens that show up but I have to have all 3 monitors are plugged in for it all to work right.

I see that the MB you are interested in purchasing is for a workstation. The only way that the Mac Pro's are equipped with are Zeon CPU's. I don't know if there is a way for you to find out which MB the Mac Pros have but I would try and find out if I were going to try and build a system of that magnitude.

I don't know if that GTX 680 graphics card is supported. Check out netkas site to see if it is or not. This this site may offer some help on that front.

You are going to have to enable trim support when using the SSD also.

Edited by hulkintosh

I have a hackintosh with the same motherboard... however the CPUs you have listed there are not XEONS and they HAVE TO BE.

Here are the CPUs I am using...

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2687W Sandy Bridge-EP 3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 150W 8-Core Server Processor BX80621E52687W

2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10

1 x EVGA 04G-P4-3685-KR GeForce GTX 680 FTW Standard, w/Backplate 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

1 x ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual LGA 2011 Intel C602 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 SSI EEB Intel Motherboard

1 x LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-ray Burner,3D Play Back (WH14NS40)

So far everything works except for the onboard audio. Also I tried plugging in a USB Audio adapter and that didn't seem to work either. So I am still trying to solve the audio problems.

@aoleon

How about powermanagement? Are you running the NullCPUPowermanagement.kext? I thought the LGA 2011 socket wasn't native supported in OS X, for powermanagement.

Did you make a DSDT? What is your audio chip, maybe we could solve it! :). Would be very nice hardware.

Hi!

The Audio Chip is RealTek ALC898.

I would love it if you guys could help me solve all the issues with this board and no I have not yet made a custom DSDT for it (if we could work together to do that it would be fantastic).

USB Audio jack doens't show up in the audio control panel when I plug in an external USB audio device.

Internal audio shows up in the control panel, but does not output any sound (Via SPIDIF).

Powermanagement is disabled. It doesn't work yet.

So I am starting at the beginning here...

Edited by aoleon

Could you share your Extra folder and custom kexts. Next week (after school) I will make a DSDT for you, to fix audio and maybe USB. (I try)