Sign in to follow this  
goobyjr9

Hp dv6-7000

Question

Booting into verbose leaves be at what the attached image shows

Using cpus=1 GraphicsEnabler=No or just graphicsenabler=no goes to the apple logo then tells me to reboot

PCIRootUID=0/1 tells me an error with my Nvidia graphics(630m)

post-277029-137746146125_thumb.jpg

Edited by goobyjr9

As far as i have come to understand is that the problem there is with the hackintosh is the switching between the cards. Apple uses the cards differently then a normal pc and people say that they might be doing the switching between the 2 cards via hardware (this is not sure). So there is support for the GT 6xx m cards natively in os x but the problem is in the switching. For this reason turning on the HD 4000 should fix the problem. This is what I have understood from my research.

Hmm... sounds tricky. Maybe I'll hold onto my Probook and just wait it out. It sounds like AJ may be close. The sound is important to me though, so hopefully that will pan out after everything is in place.

Hmm... sounds tricky. Maybe I'll hold onto my Probook and just wait it out. It sounds like AJ may be close. The sound is important to me though, so hopefully that will pan out after everything is in place.

I would hold on to the Probook for now as that one is working and this is still a work in progress. Aj should have everything working except the wifi (needs different card) and the GPU. I think for most people this should be enough. But I am hoping that hp will update the BIOS with this setting in it as it would make things allot easier. The more people asking for this setting (probably better to not mention hackintosh) the better.

I would hold on to the Probook for now as that one is working and this is still a work in progress. Aj should have everything working except the wifi (needs different card) and the GPU. I think for most people this should be enough. But I am hoping that hp will update the BIOS with this setting in it as it would make things allot easier. The more people asking for this setting (probably better to not mention hackintosh) the better.

But the 650 1 GB works without issue huh? Man, I really was lucky.

But the 650 1 GB works without issue huh? Man, I really was lucky.

I'm not sure about that though. Aj was first talking about a ssdt for it and that that should work but later on he (and other poeple) we having problems with the drivers but I'm not sure if he is having those problems with the 650 2GB and the 630 1 and 2 GB or also with the 650 1 GB. You should probably ask him about that one because I'm not sure.

Hey all,

So I haven't abandoned you guys, I've just had 4 exams this week, and another on monday. In regards to the graphics cards, I am pleased to hear that the 650M 1GB works perfectly as I thought it would. The 650 2gb, and 630 will be a bit tricky but with the use of some vendor ID's and device ID's I think it can work. I will be testing it probably tuesday.

I can also get the intel 4000 HD working. But this is where the snag lies.

I'm sure all of you remember back when Apple released macbooks with ATI graphics cards. Well, ATI didn't do switching just yet. In fact Nvidia didn't do it either (optimus wasn't out, but correct me if I'm wrong).

(update, Nvidia DID have optimus, they just couldn't get their shit together and lost to ATI for a bit. Pardon my french)

So what apple did was employ a kind of patch. Their solution was to actually switch the cards. You would run on the integrated cards until you needed the power. That is why older macbooks and laptops with ATI's switchable graphics have the screen flash when opening graphics intensive programs.

I think my friend with the retina mac confirmed this was still the case. This means that apple actually turns off the intel HD when it switches to the Nvidia. In fact a lot of laptops that came out after these macbooks that used ATI switchable graphics exhibit this, and some new ones, since ATI is lagging in this department.

This is just not possible with Optimus. Optimus works as such:

you run with the Intel HD doing all the display work. When more graphics power is needed the Nvidia card is activated and the applications are rendered using that card, then that data is shunted to the Intel HD and displayed. This happens because optimus (in laptops) gives the Nvidia card direct access to the Intel HD's output buffers.

As you can see, becuase the display is never switched to the Nvidia as the output the switch isn't the same as apple's. While they do support both the Intel HD and the Nvidia 650M 1gb, the system just doesn't know how to use both of them in the optimus way.

The obvious fix is to either disable the Nvidia card or the intel card. Personally I'd disable the Nvidia card to save power as I'm a college student. But one could also use the Nvidia. I am surprised to hear that the Nvidia 650 1gb works because that means that the system is able to output the display data to the Intel HD, as that's how these laptops are wired.

@Montag, I need to do a bit more work for school before I can tackle this again, but can you tell me if you can boot without safemode? Funny enough I can boot without safemode, but the issue is the graphics subsystem crashes and causes a black screen (because of the graphics issue). If your system can boot normally then it confirms that the issue is a drivers one and the final guide can (hopefully, knock on wood) have instructions to get both the Intel and Nvidia cards working. Otherwise it means it's a one or the other situation until apple moves from their way of doing things to using optimus (which is a much safer and less power hungry method as the nvidia card only has to render, it doesn't have to drive a display.)

Edited a bit for accuracy, also a not on ATI switchable graphics. I AM NOT DISSING IT. I had the TM2 before the dv6-7xxx and I loved it. Though I cursed the graphics switching failures (ATI drivers suuuuccckeedd) I was happy with the battery life and not having two cards running. The DV6 gets hella hot when I'm playing games and it's because it has two cards running. However, the benefits and seamlessness outweigh the heat.

AJ

PS, sorry for the bagillion edits, but I always edit my posts immediately after typing, as I usually forgot something or have to fix some fact accuracy. While I could put out new posts, I hate posting multiple times (except for PS's those are fun)

AJ

Edited by ajnozari

@AJ, I haven't actually attempted any hackintoshing on my DV6 just yet (I got it yesterday), but I will probably mess with it sometime this week. I have quite a bit of time this semester, so I should be able to help you with the guide as a beta tester. I've built three hackintoshes (mostly from guides) a few years ago and just recently the probook (what I'm typing on) so hopefully I can help somehow.

Is your machine a 650 1GB or 2GB? Also, what is the processor model (it may not matter).

I'll see what I can do and report back hopefully soon with any issues.

Also, for the record, when I worked in IT, we all despised ATI (now AMD) drivers because they always gave us problems. I think ATI's hardware is more reliable, but NVIDIA's software is better.

Edited by montag