Sign in to follow this  
jimmyco2008

Installer not detecting hard drive or SSD........

Question

Hey all,

I finally got my flash drive to get me to the installer screen for OSX 10.8, however it is not detecting either my SATA HDD or SSD.

We're talking about an m6-1045 HP laptop (Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge, H77 SouthBridge, 8GB RAM) with a single SATA port for the hard drive. The BIOS is extremely limited because HP is a dick of a company that way, and so there are no settings for SATA as far as RAID, AHCI and IDE go.

I am using a myHack-made flash drive, and I can run OSX in a Virtual Machine to modify the contents, including stuff in Extra, lib, etc, you know.

Can I either boot with a flag or overwrite a driver, perhaps to make RAID or IDE mode work with OSX? I hear those exist, but maybe I need an HP-specific IOFamily.kext (is that what it's called?)

Just as well, where do I put kexts? Like let's say I have a kext for the WiFi/Bluetooth card, do I put that...I think it's somewhere in Extra?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by jimmyco2008

Sorry, guys, email wasn't going through so I didn't get notifications to the replies!

Someone over at another forum was nice enough to modify.... oh what was it, AppleAHCIport.kext - the m6-1045dx uses RAID for SATA mode, and effing HP can burn in hell for not letting us change that in BIOS. We don't need AHCI mode, but ultimately you have to change the device ID in the kext for the SATA controller, it should be 282a I think?

I'll post some more info MOMENTARILY (for real this time!), I have to call up the messages on the other forum site.

Thanks to eep357 over at InsanelyMac.com for patching this for me/us.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12515989/untitled%20folder%202.zip

Download that bad boy, replace the AppleAHCIport.kext with the one in the MODIFIED folder.

Use Kext Wizard (Mac) to install the kext, you cannot just copy and paste it. It goes in System/Libraries/Extensions.

And that's it, now you should be able to install OSX to your hard drive or SSD!

Again, the original kext uses Device ID 282x (where x is a value that I forget), and the modified kext uses Device ID 282a, for laptops with BOISes locked to RAID SATA mode.

I couldn't get System Info to work in goddamn Windows, either.

I used a Linux live CD to just download and run it real quick, took a picture of it. Oddly, not all the devices are showing, it's not showing (whether I run it in Mac or Linux) the WiFi/bluetooth card, fingerprint reader, or the webcam. Of course all of those things are technically USB, they show up with lsusb and not lspsci in Terminal.

I'll work towards posting it in the solutions thread, this hackintosh is my only computer and as you can imagine, I've had a few kernel panics, even had to reformat and reinstall once.

Oh and yes, I have Panther Point (H77) for the chipset.

Edited by jimmyco2008

After testing with my case, i CONFIRM THAT the solution below WORKS. Now ML Installer can see my SATA HDD and allow installing.

I have read somewhere that many HP Laptop have Internal SATA HDD configured as RAID even though there is ONLY 1 HDD comes with the laptop.

Sorry, guys, email wasn't going through so I didn't get notifications to the replies!

Someone over at another forum was nice enough to modify.... oh what was it, AppleAHCIport.kext - the m6-1045dx uses RAID for SATA mode, and effing HP can burn in hell for not letting us change that in BIOS. We don't need AHCI mode, but ultimately you have to change the device ID in the kext for the SATA controller, it should be 282a I think?

I'll post some more info MOMENTARILY (for real this time!), I have to call up the messages on the other forum site.

Thanks to eep357 over at InsanelyMac.com for patching this for me/us.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12515989/untitled%20folder%202.zip

Download that bad boy, replace the AppleAHCIport.kext with the one in the MODIFIED folder.

Use Kext Wizard (Mac) to install the kext, you cannot just copy and paste it. It goes in System/Libraries/Extensions.

And that's it, now you should be able to install OSX to your hard drive or SSD!

Again, the original kext uses Device ID 282x (where x is a value that I forget), and the modified kext uses Device ID 282a, for laptops with BOISes locked to RAID SATA mode.

I couldn't get System Info to work in goddamn Windows, either.

I used a Linux live CD to just download and run it real quick, took a picture of it. Oddly, not all the devices are showing, it's not showing (whether I run it in Mac or Linux) the WiFi/bluetooth card, fingerprint reader, or the webcam. Of course all of those things are technically USB, they show up with lsusb and not lspsci in Terminal.

I'll work towards posting it in the solutions thread, this hackintosh is my only computer and as you can imagine, I've had a few kernel panics, even had to reformat and reinstall once.

Oh and yes, I have Panther Point (H77) for the chipset.

yes!!! body finally you have the mountain lion;):encouragement::)

this is the background victory;)

I hope that this solves my problem, too! I have an HP DM4-3050US. With a RIAD drive, and a BIOS that does;t tell me anything, or let me change anything. I've been trying to get the NDD show up during the UCB install.

I will try this tonight! Keeping fingers crossed. Raymop

Ok so a little more info on this.

Because HP has the ssd cache option, that can be added to any laptop that supports it (even if you didn't choose it as an option) you need a modified ioahciinjector. This is an issue on all current HP laptops that support the cache (most of them) as the cache requires raid so they locked it to that.

What's nice to see is a specific kext for raid. I am working on ML on the dv6-7xxx series and solved this with other hacks (same kexts different fixes) but a patched one for hp specifically is nice.

Also it helps to use Ubuntu to generate a DSDT.aml as it fixes Ethernet OOB on these laptops.

Btw do you have turbo boost or did you use a nullcpupowermanagement.kext?