kyndder

[GUIDE] Clover EFI Bootloader

What Clover does???

With few words, for those that have the "old" regular BIOS, he replaces him with his own

(U)EFI BIOS making every OS running from within Clover "believe" that he is running under

UEFI Firmware…

And for those that already have a UEFI Firmware, he helps the Firmware "see" OS X by giving

needed resources to boot OS X that is impossible for a regular PC Firmware…

This plus lots and lots of improvements, for example, you can have a patched DSDT to be used

with OS X and another "clean" and "unmodified" to be used for Windows if booted using Clover's

Firmware like I did before I flash my UEFI BIOS….

You will have a Hack more kind a Mac, for example, you are using OS X and needs switch to

Windows but don't want to edit any configuration file or even select the Windows entry at Clover's

GUI (or have Silent Boot enabled)??? Simple, just go to "System Preferences > Startup Disk", select

the Windows Disk and press reboot, Clover will boot straight to Windows… Impossible for any other

bootloader…

Well, I believe that for now it's enough…

I hope that Slice, dmazar, blackosx, STLVNUB, pene, apianti and all developers involved with Clover

Project may gift us with his visit from time to time to make this thread increasingly better...

Here I'll try to list the most common user doubts...

Before anything, check the items below... (Thanks Elclaudio to sort this out!)

> Do not put anything more in /efi/acpi/patched except your DSDT

> You have patched DSDT ? : you just need to put it to /efi/acpi/patched (assuming you have nothing in /efi/oem folder) and set in Clover ACPI/FixDsdtMask=0

> GFX patches in DSDT ? : you do not need GraphicsEnabler in Chameleon : no need for it in Clover also: set Graphics/GraphicsInjector=No

> Audio patches already in DSDT ? : set in Clover PCI/HDAInjection=No

> When you put CsmVideoDxe-64.efi to drivers64UEFI, this driver replaces your original graphics driver and offers more resolutions from your card, but at the cost of additional boot time

> Clover is not selecting highest resolution when CsmVideoDxe-64.efi is loaded because that driver can reveal some resolutions which are not usable on current monitor

> PatchVBios in config.plist : Some nVidia users are having success with this, and some not. nVidia patching is not reliable. But you can try.

>> What FSInject-XX.efi does?

It's a driver responsible for Kext Injection, so, It's installed as Default for UEFI and Regular BIOS users.

>> What OsxFatBinaryDrv-XX.efi does?

It's a driver responsible for add support for FAT Binary data, Mandatory to UEFI users.

>> What HFSPlusXXX.efi does?

It's a driver responsible for add support to HFS Filesystem, Mandatory to UEFI users.

>> What VBoxExt2-XX.efi does?

It's a driver responsible for add support to EXT Filesystem, optional for Linux users.

>> Why Clover takes longer than Chameleon to reach the Bootloader's GUI?

Keep in mind that Clover need some time to Inject his EFI Layer when powering the machine...

Chameleon doesn't do this so, you can reach Chameleon's GUI more faster...

BTW, reaching the bootloader's GUI faster does't mean that your OS X boot is/will be faster...

On Real UEFI System this delay doesn't exists as Clover doesn't need to inject his own...

>> How I boot Ignoring Caches ( -f ) ?

The Chameleon's Boot Flag -f to boot OS X Ignoring System Caches doesn't exist in Clover...

On his place we have the WithKexts option that haves the same functionality of Chameleon's -f...

To use this option, at Clover's GUI press Space Bar on your desired boot entry to have access to

various Boot Options including WithKexts...

If by some reason you want this option as Default, just ad as boot-arg on your config.plist file...

<key>boot-args</key> 
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0 WithKexts -v</string>

>> Why OS X boot always freeze without use WhitKexts option?

There's a known bug that may prevent some machine to boot using Kernelcache...

After long research, bcc9 was able to find a fix for this issue > Waiting for root device when kernel cache used; only with some disks +FIX - OSx86 10.8 (Mountain Lion) - InsanelyMac Forum

I don't know why, but apparently you can have this issue even if you never had using Chameleon as

happened to me...

>> How I can use mouse in Clover's GUI?

For UEFI users, just move your mouse... :)

For Regular BIOS users, add UsbMouseDxe-XX.efi

>> How I can change the Theme?

Add the Theme folder to /EFI/BOOT/themes/ and replace the refit.conf file on /EFI/BOOT/

with the one provided with the Theme...

>> How I can change Clover's GUI resolution?

Clover automatically set the highest available resolution for Regular BIOS users...

If you want a lower resolution, add the entry below to your refit.conf file...

screen_resolution WHIDTHxHEIGHT

For UEFI users, unfortunately there's no way to set a higher resolution, we are stuck at

1024x768...

BTW, we don't need to reach Clover's GUI as we don't need his ability to load any other

EFI capable System, so, we just need to use Silent Boot and boot straight OS X, just

like a Real Mac, I reach my Desktop on about 20 seconds or less and I don't have any SSD... :)

To use Silent Boot, set Timeout to 0 on your refit.conf file...

>> How I can prevent Clover to boot Straight to Windows after boot the OS?

Follow Elclaudio's instructions here > http://www.osx86.net/guides-tutorials/19291-guide-clover-efi-bootloader-10.html#post126871 Thanks Elclaudio !

Edited by kyndder

Hi Kyndder, I've been 2 days testing Clover on my Vostro. Just to figure out how Clover works in comparison with Chameleon. I already use 2 USB flash drives FAT32. Both work after some tweaks in config.plist and placing my custom DSDT and SSDT (not using fixdsdtmask and OEMSSDT). Finally, I can boot into ML and Windows with no issues. Since it's triple boot setup (MBR layout), I just couldn't understand why I have constant reboot loop with Lion. It happens after a split second I press Enter. Retweak the config.plist but no avail.

It's not happening with Chameleon even I use the same DSDT and the bootloader itself. I see Clover automatically detects this laptop as MBP 8,1. That's good but it just can't boot Lion partition :confused:

Hi Kyndder, I've been 2 days testing Clover on my Vostro. Just to figure out how Clover works in comparison with Chameleon. I already use 2 USB flash drives FAT32. Both work after some tweaks in config.plist and placing my custom DSDT and SSDT (not using fixdsdtmask and OEMSSDT). Finally, I can boot into ML and Windows with no issues. Since it's triple boot setup (MBR layout), I just couldn't understand why I have constant reboot loop with Lion. It happens after a split second I press Enter. Retweak the config.plist but no avail.

It's not happening with Chameleon even I use the same DSDT and the bootloader itself. I see Clover automatically detects this laptop as MBP 8,1. That's good but it just can't boot Lion partition :confused:

Hi fau7i!

Please, make the steps below...

Enable boot log by editing your refit.conf file on the /EFI/BOOT/ folder like the example below...

#nolog

Reboot your machine, and if possible, run DarwinDumper.app to send us a full dump of your system > DarwinDumper - New Releases and Updates - InsanelyMac Forum

Sorry for the external link, I'll ask to blackosx if he could place a link for his awesome tool at this thread...

If you can't run the app, place here only the boot.log file that you can find at /EFI/misc/ folder...