kyndder

[GUIDE] Clover EFI Bootloader

Hi, folks!

Is there any special set of instructions to enable QE/CI for the HD 3000 graphics (from a i7-2600) with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and a Z77-D3H motherboard using Clover in UEFI mode? I'm using Clover version 17xx (don't know the last two digits) with a MacBookPro8,1 SMBIOS in my config.plist, and recently even deleted all my kexts and install others (patched for 10.8.2) from a link provided elsewhere by Fau7i. With GraphicsInjector=No i get full resolution but no QE/CI, when GraphicsInjector is set to yes, the boot seems to freeze where the desktop should arrive (the pinwheel below the gray apple stops to spin, just like it does on a healthy system when the desktop is about to come, but it just hangs there).

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

when GraphicsInjector is set to yes, the boot seems to freeze where the desktop should arrive (the pinwheel below the gray apple stops to spin, just like it does on a healthy system when the desktop is about to come, but it just hangs there).

Hi TheConnactic,

Theoretically for IntelHD3000 you should only use GraphicsInjector=Yes...

ErmaC makes mention to a trick for some notebooks at Clover's Instructions that by adding FixDsdtMask=0x0100 may enable Graphics Acceleration... Did you tried this???

Apart this, maybe fau7i can help you better as he have more experience with this kind of graphics...

Thank you for the kind answer, kyndder - no pun intended. :)

The issue is the odd behavior when GI is set to yes: not the indefinite spinning pinwheel under the Apple logo as usually happens when graphics fail to load: the boot freezes instead. That's really unusual.

Perhaps Fau7i can indeed help me if he has experience with this kind of graphics working in conjunction with Clover UEFI: Chameleon/Legacy Clover is not an option at the moment.

All the best!

The issue is the odd behavior when GI is set to yes: not the indefinite spinning pinwheel under the Apple logo as usually happens when graphics fail to load: the boot freezes instead. That's really unusual.

Perhaps Fau7i can indeed help me if he has experience with this kind of graphics working in conjunction with Clover UEFI: Chameleon/Legacy Clover is not an option at the moment.

All the best!

Hi TheConnactic,

I have experienced exactly the same issue with my HD3000 which is white screen and colourful stripes when using GraphicsInjector=Yes. I don't quite remember since when and which revision, but I'm pretty sure it was not happening in early revisions. Fortunately here, I still have QE/CI (DVD.app is fine, and having ripple effect in Dashboard) with GraphicsInjector=No. And FYI, my HD 3000 (i5-2450m) device ID is 0126. So, my little efforts for this integrated GPU that supposes to be natively supported are;

1. I have these for Graphics in Clover config.plist besides MacBookPro8,1 (not much different with 2 or 3);

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>GraphicsInjector</key>
<false/>
<key>PatchVBios</key>
<true/>
</dict>

2. Here is my method DSM 4 for GFX0 in DSDT;

Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x06)
{
"AAPL,snb-platform-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x01, 0x00
},

"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-2"
},

"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x26, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

3. Yes, I have patched its connectors in AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext as it's just for enabling VGA port. Therefore vanilla kext is still can be used when needed.

I'm afraid that your HD 3000 might needs to treat differently as it's a desktop setup.

Oh! forgot to mention, my vostro doesn't have UEFI.

Edited by fau7i

Thank you for the kind answer, kyndder - no pun intended. :)

All the best!

I also had this problem at first with my i5 2450m Intel HD 3000, right before booting to the login screen it would stop with a white screen that had purple artifacts. I fixed it by setting GE to NO, PatchVBIOS to no, and I'm certain I had this set by default in the bootloader GUI menu: "FixDsdtMask=0x0100." I have no DSDT edits though. Strange because all I needed was GE=Yes for Chamaleon.

I was affraid to update to this new beta BIOS for my mobo... But in the end, I bacame very happy to see that Gigabyte made great improvements to a board that is a bit older...

The most visible changes was...

>ACPI Table: Now I can boot OS X without any DSDT edits :)

>Added Fast and UltraFast boot options (unfortunately I have no chance to test it now due to my graphics card)

>New Boot Logo (I had to mention this because the previous one is very ugly :o )

BTW, there is a downside, the EFI variables aren't handled so good as before and now I mandatory need to use EmuVariableDxe...

Edited by kyndder
Typo...