Sign in to follow this  
HackQuasaur

Dell Inspiron E1505/6400: Where To Go From Here...?

Question

Hi, Everyone! My specs are in my Signature...

After getting a new laptop, I have successfully installed iATKOS 1.0i on my old Dell Inspiron E1505. I have 4 partitions: Leopard, Recovery HD (clone of Leopard), UsersHD (my Users' folder) and Time Machine (for the Time Machine app).

It runs without any boot flags, but there are issues:

1. Brightness doesn't work, even with Shades prefPane installed.
  2. Resolution is stuck at 1024x768, though the screen is capable of 1280x800.
  3. Impossible to upgrade with either Software Upgrade or Combo Upgrade.

I've tried unsuccessfully a number of upgrade paths: USB (U{censored}), Software/Combo Upgrade, and most recently iB{censored} 3.3.0 with a Lion ESD (10.7, not Mountain).

I need advice on where to go from here; I would be grateful just to be able to upgrade to the latest Leopard and to get higher resolution on my ATI Radeon X1300.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm currently trying to load Lion onto my e1505 with the same specs as yours. Right now I'm trying to use iAtkos L2 and I can't get it to install. Keeps hanging during the install process.

Could you report back to us as to how your got Lion running on your machine?

I'm currently trying to load Lion onto my e1505 with the same specs as yours. Right now I'm trying to use iAtkos L2 and I can't get it to install. Keeps hanging during the install process.

Could you report back to us as to how your got Lion running on your machine?

It took 4 grueling days, not much sleep and an angry wife to get Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 (with its software updates) running on my E1505. I took the long trip with both S3 & L2.

That being said, you're on the right track. Part of the trick is understanding you BOOT FLAGS. Finding the right boot flag combo is CRUCIAL to your sanity and well being:

flags:

-v (verbose)

-s (single user mode)

-x (safe mode)

-f (ignore caches)

-F (ignore "Kernel Flags" specified in boot configuration file)

-force64

mach_kernel

acpi=force or acpi=off

arch=i386,x86_64

busratio=18 CPU bus ratio

debug=0x100

debug=0x144

darkwake=0

GeneratePStates=(0/1)

GenerateCStates=(0/1)

PCIRootUID=0

?video

"Graphics Mode"="1152x864x8@60"

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x8@60"

UseKernelCache=(0/1)

-v -f GraphicsEnabler=No cpus=1 busratio=20

Lion Boot Flags:

PCIRootUID=0 UseKernelCache=yes arch=i386 GraphicsEnabler=No

Another thing to remember: WITHOUT TONS OF GRAPHICS MEMORY YOU'RE NEVER GETTING PAST 1024X768...so don't even bother trying.

At this point, it's probably best that you specify exactly what point in the install are you stuck at, and I'll see what I can do to help.

In the process of my own journey i have a TON of drivers & files and such I've gather along the way. A few of these may be helpful to you, but i need to know how far youve come.

...good luck!

Well just last night I got it to go all the way through the install and the prompt popped up saying that the machine was going to reboot itself. After it reboots it says that there isn't a boot sector on the hard drive.

I believe some of the problem may lie in an error I get when I'm loading up the installer. This error is:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist...

But if I wait around long enough the start up continues and I get to the first screen where you select the language.

I found another thread with someone who has the same error, but there was no resolution.

I'm using the boot flags suggested in that thread:

cpus=1 busratio=9 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -x -v

My only goal is to use xcode 4 on my laptop so I can code while I'm away from home. That being said, right now I'm exploring some options for installing xcode on a snow leopard machine. So I'm downloading iAtkos_S3 right now to give a snow leopard install a try. I found a guide on not this old house that looks pretty straightforward and specific to the e1505.

Add "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x8@60"

I've used Leopard, Snow Leopard AND Lion (I booted off the iATKOS L2 dvd, then pointed to/ran install off the Lion ESD DVD I had). Only Lion will allow you to Software Update, which may be kind of important if you're coding with XCode (4.5).

Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist...

Thats not an error if OSX was never running on any given volume. The boot cache simply is not there, as it is created with the first successful boot.

The guide from "Not This Old House" is very well done, alas it refers to a GMA945 laptop. Installing 10.6 on GMA945 portables is like eating cake with Nawcom´s mod CD 0.3.1 and a Snow Leo retail DVD. :)

ATI X1300 is a different story, but it was reported working too.

As pointed out above, the recent free XCode4.5 has a minimum OSX requirement of 10.7.5 (as of today)

Using SU with 10.6 is possible, but most people found Apple´s combo updates more successful. Maybe you can find an old XCode3.X running with 10.6, but that won´t be easy.

Well just last night I got it to go all the way through the install and the prompt popped up saying that the machine was going to reboot itself. After it reboots it says that there isn't a boot sector on the hard drive.

I believe some of the problem may lie in an error I get when I'm loading up the installer. This error is:

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist...

But if I wait around long enough the start up continues and I get to the first screen where you select the language.

I found another thread with someone who has the same error, but there was no resolution.

I'm using the boot flags suggested in that thread:

cpus=1 busratio=9 maxmem=2048 arch=i386 -x -v

My only goal is to use xcode 4 on my laptop so I can code while I'm away from home. That being said, right now I'm exploring some options for installing xcode on a snow leopard machine. So I'm downloading iAtkos_S3 right now to give a snow leopard install a try. I found a guide on not this old house that looks pretty straightforward and specific to the e1505.

What graphics do you have. Is it integrated 945gm or ati1300. I have dell Inspiron 6400 running os x 10.7.5. Everything is working perfectly except sleep.