Sign in to follow this  
HackQuasaur

Dell Inspiron E1505/6400: Where To Go From Here...?

Question

Hi, Everyone! My specs are in my Signature...

After getting a new laptop, I have successfully installed iATKOS 1.0i on my old Dell Inspiron E1505. I have 4 partitions: Leopard, Recovery HD (clone of Leopard), UsersHD (my Users' folder) and Time Machine (for the Time Machine app).

It runs without any boot flags, but there are issues:

1. Brightness doesn't work, even with Shades prefPane installed.
  2. Resolution is stuck at 1024x768, though the screen is capable of 1280x800.
  3. Impossible to upgrade with either Software Upgrade or Combo Upgrade.

I've tried unsuccessfully a number of upgrade paths: USB (U{censored}), Software/Combo Upgrade, and most recently iB{censored} 3.3.0 with a Lion ESD (10.7, not Mountain).

I need advice on where to go from here; I would be grateful just to be able to upgrade to the latest Leopard and to get higher resolution on my ATI Radeon X1300.

Thanks for your reply!

I have the ati1300.

I was able to get most of the way through a snow leopard install. Got to a point where I saw this a0cdw0.jpg

I'm currently on the road so my efforts have been halted for about a week. Now I'm just doing a bit of reading on here and a few other sites.

post-566711-137746155049_thumb.jpg

I registered so I can say with great anger, passion, and enthusiasm that the linked site DOES NOT WORK!!! I say this on the record, publicly, officially, and with absolute certainty.

?

No matter what tricks I found on google to try, I could not get the "extra" folder to copy to the root of my hard drive per the instructions. I spend over two hours trying to make it happen and it just wouldn't. No matter what I tried I got the error message about not being able to copy because the folder is invisible. I wholeheartedly recommend that anyone with the E1505/6400 stay as far away from the linked tut as they possible can. Save yourself the time I wasted and the headaches I endured.

?

Forgive the anger, but not since my Xbox 1 modding days have I encountered this many bogus tutorials written by some loser kids because the thought of sending people in futile circles amused them.

?

Now that I got that out of my system, I will ask is there a tutorial on a reputable site that actually works? I have an Inspiron 6400 with the X1300 video. Using this site...

?

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1392-how-to-mac-os-x-snow-leopard-on-dell-inspiron-e15056400/

?

...I was able to get OSX SL installed, and updated to 10.6.8. I can now boot without the cpus=1 flag. However, I am having a VERY difficult time to get the video to offer me anything besides 1024x768, and the WiFi doesn't work. The author of that tutorial was using a similar laptop, but he/she had different video than I have.

?

I haven't tried anything with the Wifi yet. But, with the video, I installed the following kexts:

ATIRadeonX1000.kext

RaedeonHD.kext

ATI1300Controller.kext

?

Installing those didn't help, but they didn't seem to hurt anything, either. The laptop is just acting like I hadn't done anything in this regard.

?

Thanks in advance for any help.

?

I have the integrated 945GM graphic card.

However did you try this method

https://sites.google.com/site/nozyczek/home/hackintosh/dell-inspiron-6400