Sign in to follow this  
no girls

OS X Lion on Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook NP900X3C-A01US

Question

I am trying to dual boot my Samsung Series 9 NP900X3C-A01US. So I am currently running Windows 7 on my series 9 and I want to be able to boot from my external hard drive since I dont have a optical drive. So basically, I want to be able to run windows 7, and when I have my external hard drive plugged in, run os X. The mac osx files would stay on the hard drive and my windows files would be on my internal solid state drive. I think my main problem is making the bootable usb drive so that i can boot and install mac onto the external hard drive. I already have the .dmg and the .iso files of osx lion and the external hard drive i am using is the Seagate? Expansion 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive (STAX500102). What I have already done is mount the iso file onto the hard drive and changed the bios settings to usb. I'm not positive if I mounted it correctly or not because after I mount it and try to open the hard drive's file, it tells me that i need to format the drive. is it even possible for me to do this? much help is appreciated. thank you so much.

5 answers to this question

A beautiful Ultrabook but a long shot for OSX. :(

(methink you should have bought a Macbook Air instead. :) )

If you got no access to a running OSX 10.6 or higher, the only way seems to me installing 10.6 to one partition of your external HDD with tonymac´s "iBoot Ivy Bridge" boot CD and a retail Sow Leo DVD. If you managed to do that, you can install (Mountain) Lion on another partition of your HDD.

iBoot needs an optical drive to run, so you will need an USB DVD plus an active hub maybe.

A beautiful Ultrabook but a long shot for OSX. :(

(methink you should have bought a Macbook Air instead. :) )

If you got no access to a running OSX 10.6 or higher, the only way seems to me installing 10.6 to one partition of your external HDD with {censored}´s "iB{censored} Ivy Bridge" boot CD and a retail Sow Leo DVD. If you managed to do that, you can install (Mountain) Lion on another partition of your HDD.

iB{censored} needs an optical drive to run, so you will need an USB DVD plus an active hub maybe.

if i was able to find an optical drive, would it be possible to use it once to install it onto my external hard drive and then never have to use it again?

If you manage to install a basic SL 10.6.8 and if you can use the app store to acquire Mountain Lion, you should be through with the optical.

but i already have the .dmg and .iso version of lion that i downloaded from iatkos. what can i do from there?