Sign in to follow this  
Altonymous

Need help dual booting...

I have been running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 for quite a while. No issues.

Tonight I got a second hard drive and tried to install Windows 8 to it. It seems to go through the initial install phase with no problems. However, when it reboots it says it's corrupt.

I've tried booting to Mountain Lion and using Chameleon Wizard to install 'Boot0md' However it crashes when I try to this.

I'm not sure what to do at this point?

[ATTACH]3312[/ATTACH]

Chameleon Wizard_2012-11-28-210246_Altonymous-Mountain-Lion.crash.zip

Edited by Altonymous
Adding Chameleon Wizard Crash Report

with this sort of thing, i always recommend removing the mac HD whilst installing windows (simply unplug sata or sata power) then install, activate etc on windows. afterwards, re-plug in your mac HD and within your bios settings set it to be above the windows HD in the boot order. this way you can use chameleon to handle the dual boot. as for your ML issue... i would guess that whilst installing win8 it has used that drive to store some redundancy files (for fixing installs, backups etc) which has caused the issue on your ML install.

To remedy it, i recommend using your latest timecapsule backup (you do backup that way right?) if not, a reinstall of JUST the os, will allow you to maintain file structure and installed programs (most anyway...) without having to start clean.

to do that, just get to the install phase of running the ML disk where you would usually then format the HD but instead, just select it and click next. update etc once installed.

Again though, whilst installing ML i would disconnect the win8 HD. this ensures that the install files will never tamper with their counterpart on the other HD. it's not ideal, but it seems to keep my installs panic free.

hope this is of some use

Sign in to follow this