Sign in to follow this  
ert69

Hiding 10.8.2 update in the App Store?

Question

Good morning, gents! I tried updating from 10.8 to 10.8.2 using the combo update and it said "Installation failed" although in "About this Mac" it shows 10.8.2. Anyway, my problem was that most native apps just didnt want to open after that update. Kept telling me "xxx cannot be opened....." (Mail,Messages, iTunes, App Store etc) So I reinstalled 10.8 and decided not to update it anymore.

Now I am wondering, if there is any way for me to hide the update in the app store? First off its a bit annoying there and secondly, I don't want to acidentally update my OS X.

5 answers to this question

From what I recall, there is a button in the downloadable list to enable details (or so).

If you open that, it should be possible to uncheck items.

Still you might find out whats going on with a backup.

Its definitely not normal for apps crashing with 10.8.2, if 10.8.1 was fine.

From what I recall, there is a button in the downloadable list to enable details (or so).

If you open that, it should be possible to uncheck items.

Still you might find out whats going on with a backup.

Its definitely not normal for apps crashing with 10.8.2, if 10.8.1 was fine.

Couldn't find any button to uncheck stuff. I've included a screenshot of what it looks like for me. Also, it doesn't let me update itunes. I will give it a go and download it straight from apple.com and see whats gonna happen.

As for the apps crashing part - I've no idea whats causing this. I saw someone having the same issue and got it fixed by installing Essentials.pkg from the install dvd, but that didn't work for me.

post-570341-137746155764_thumb.jpg

Yep, its the "more" button I think. Click that one, to check/uncheck items.

That just opens up the change log :(

EDIT:

I sort of got it fixed. I made backups of all the apps that didn't open after updating to 10.8.2 and then updated. It said "Installation failed" as I expected. Then I replaced all the 10.8.2 apps with the back ups from 10.8.0 and now everything is working... except the mic, which didn't work from the get go and is totally off topic.

Edited by ert69