Sign in to follow this  
Frank Nitty

No luck with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC 3072MB on 10.8.3

Question

After 3 days of searching far and wide on the internet for solutions to enable my GTX660 SC upgrade to function on 10.8.3, I have become unsuccessful. I am left with no choice but to ask for the forums' help.

I need to know whether or not the (3072MB version) card is supported, and if so what is the best route to go about enabling that card to run. These are following steps I have done so far:

1) With my GTX480 card in place, I installed 10.8.3

2) I installed NVIDIA CUDA drivers (released on 3/15/13)

3) I attempted to install NVIDIA 304.00.05f02 drivers, but the installer said that my current drivers were already up-to-date.

4) I then switched out my GTX480 for the 660 in my hack. Every time I try to run off the GTX660, I get a kernel panic stating: "System uptime in nanoseconds" regardless of what boot flag I use, i.e.: -v -x GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x3000 cpus=1. I even get the same message kernel panic as soon as the Apple logo screen shows up.

I need to know what current market graphics card is proven to work in 10.8.3 because I am eager to buy it and return my current 660 back. I am in the market of getting anything up to a GTX 670 and only if it is proven to work in 10.8.3 without much trouble. If anybody out there has any knowledge of what direction I should take I would gladly oblige. Thanks

Maybe you can make a photo of the Kernel Panic, "System uptime in nanoseconds" does not say much.

Are you using FakeSMC with GeForce plug inns? Because the GeForce plug inns are not compatible at the moment with your card (KP).

From what I have read your card should work, mine is working fine, but thats not a 3GB.

Maybe you can make a photo of the Kernel Panic, "System uptime in nanoseconds" does not say much.

Are you using FakeSMC with GeForce plug inns? Because the GeForce plug inns are not compatible at the moment with your card (KP).

From what I have read your card should work, mine is working fine, but thats not a 3GB.

Are you referring to fakesmc in the /Extra/Extensions? For some reason I have Faksmc.kext file in S/L/E, should I delete that, is that what you mean? Here are some screenshots below:

post-31788-137746158882_thumb.jpg

Please check out the following pics to view the KP I am referring to.

post-31788-137746158874_thumb.jpg

On another side note, I think I will be disappointed with limited performance of the 660 as time goes on so before the 30 days are up, I'll probably switch it out for the GTX 680. Do you know of any success stories that involve using the 680 on 10.8.3?

Here are better screenshots from the above post:

post-31788-137746158889_thumb.jpg

post-31788-137746158853_thumb.jpg

post-31788-137746158868_thumb.jpg

post-31788-13774615888_thumb.jpg

post-31788-137746158884_thumb.jpg

Edited by urbanman2004

Yes this is what I meant. Remove the NVClockX.kext and rebuild caches. After this you should be fine :)

NVClock gives the KP.

Don't delete FakeSMC because you wouldn't be able to boot.

Most GTX6xx cards works as far as I know.

@ Rene: I appreciate your help... I am able to move a little closer to the goal I was intending, but I am now caught in a dilemma: I followed your instructions to the T, removing NVClock and then repairing permissions. Instead of a KP, I get to the Apple logo screen, but once the progress indicator (spinning wheel) is finished loading, I then get stuck at this blank grey screen. I tried using the boot flag GraphicsEnabler=Yes (which is default in my org.chameleon.Boot.plist) and No, but it still yields the same result. I also tried Verbose mode and once it finished loading all the text on the black screen, it bypasses the Apple logo screen and goes straight to the blank grey screen, and remains. I also tried using both DVI and HDMI ports one at a time to monitor if it makes a difference, but it still yields the same result. The image below shows what I am talking about. All I isntalled was 10.8.3 and the CUDA drivers. Have you seen anything like this before using the GTX660?

post-31788-137746158926_thumb.jpg

But here is the kicker: On my LION partition (as witnessed in one of my pics in the above post) I had to remove NVClock and repair permissions as well. I have not installed any updated NVIDIA drivers on, but I was able to login it and access the desktop with or without using GraphicsEnabler=No which led to showing a "legacy" like screen (as shown in the image below). If I install the updated NVIDIA drivers (3.04.00.05f02 & Cuda) in Lion, is there a chance it might break that partition. Has anyone tried this out? Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks

post-31788-137746158942_thumb.jpg

I'm not using GraphicsEnabler at all.

<key>GUI</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>

And Chameleon v2.2svn r2189. Only a clean fresh install and "CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.45"

PCIRoot=0

zG.png

Maybe you can try to boot with:

UseKernelCache=No -v

or GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v

Always boot with at least -v to see what is happening and make a photo.

How did you install, which method? I used myHack for my clean install and only FakeSMC 4.2, no plugins.

But here is the kicker: On my LION partition (as witnessed in one of my pics in the above post) I had to remove NVClock and repair permissions as well. I have not installed any updated NVIDIA drivers on, but I was able to login it and access the desktop with or without using GraphicsEnabler=No which led to showing a "legacy" like screen (as shown in the image below). If I install the updated NVIDIA drivers (3.04.00.05f02 & Cuda) in Lion, is there a chance it might break that partition. Has anyone tried this out? Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks

Lion does not work with your card. Don't try it. In fact only 10.8.3 has the drivers for GTX660.

@ Rene: I'm at work at the moment so I don't have access to my hack, but to answer some of your questions: I installed 10.8 on a seperate partition via USB method and the USB stick was prepared on the Lion partition. I installed the 10.8.3 update on top of 10.8.2 and I don't intend on doing a clean reinstallation, I don't have the time for it - failure is not an option, lol. I'm definately going to back up the Lion partition before I experiment with it to install the new NVIDIA drivers just to see what happens before restoring it back. But in due time I will need a patch that allows to use my card on my 10.6.8 and 10.7.4 partitions without conflict. If u know of any that would be helpful. I will let you know my findings from using the suggestions u have provide in your post. Thanks