Sign in to follow this  
ikt

OS X and Linux dualboot with GRUB2

Question

Hai there

I'm having troubles getting GRUB2 to chainload OS X.

Basically OS X works, Linux works and Windows works, except I can't boot without the Flash drive containing the OS X Installation.

My hard drives are like this (in Linux):

/dev/sda1 NTFS Windows bootloader

/dev/sda2 NTFS Windows 7

/dev/sdb1 NTFS Data

/dev/sdb2 HFS+ OS X 10.8

/dev/sdb3 EXT4 Crunchbang

I'm using the original Windows bootloader and Windows is totally self-contained in the SSD, as is Linux/OS X on the hard drive. I have installed Chimera 2.0.1 on the OS X partition. I've copied boot0 to /boot/chameleon/boot0 on the Linux partition, as well as just putting it in the root of the OS X partition.

I can't get GRUB2 to load OS X. The entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg is this:

menuentry "Mac OS X (on /dev/sdb2)" {
insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd1,2)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cf082926772bae5b
chainloader (hd1,3)/boot/chameleon/boot0
}

If I'm correct, the GRUB and Linux mapping is like this:

/dev/sda1 (hd0,1)

/dev/sda2 (hd0,2)

/dev/sdb1 (hd1,1)

/dev/sdb2 (hd1,2)

/dev/sdb3 (hd1,3)

I pretty much tried everything but it always returns "file not found", "invalid signature" or in one case "Chain booting error_" when I try to chainloader /boot0

Any of you out there who have gotten GRUB2 and OS X playing along nicely?

Edited by ikt
See last post for information about how it's solved.

6 answers to this question

Yeah, I went through the first link before making this thread. I just tried the things suggested in the second link, but they have no effect. Using GRUBs default entries makes it restart. If I substitute the last parts it'll say it hasn't seen a file and "chainloader /boot" results in a "Chain load error."

I've never gotten it to display anything besides error messages. Using the default 64-bit entry in GRUB2 just gives a black screen and a reboot.

Bleh, chainloading horror.

Yeah, I went through the first link before making this thread. I just tried the things suggested in the second link, but they have no effect. Using GRUBs default entries makes it restart. If I substitute the last parts it'll say it hasn't seen a file and "chainloader /boot" results in a "Chain load error."

I've never gotten it to display anything besides error messages. Using the default 64-bit entry in GRUB2 just gives a black screen and a reboot.

Bleh, chainloading horror.

Well... To be completely honest, I only made this once a few years ago but in the end, I've choose to stay with Chameleon as my default boot loader as he was capable to handle all OSs that I had on my machine, then now I'm using Clover and he also can handle any EFI capable OS without issues...

Just a curiosity... Why you want GRUB as your default boot loader if there are many boot loaders capable to natively boot OS X (Chameleon, Clover and XPC) and also any Windows or UNIX like OS installed under Legacy or UEFI BIOSes???

Ah, great! I got it working now. It doesn't boot into OS X yet, it hangs somewhere in the process, but it'll chainload fine now.

The thing I used is this:

insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd1,2)'
multiB{censored} /boot
}

I removed the search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root cf082926772bae5b in previous attempts while using multiB{censored}.

I think the problem is somewhere in the DSDT files, so I'll need to check that out.

Why does it load fine with the USB key but whenever I load it from its own, it gets kernel panics and all those unpleasant things?

Well... To be completely honest, I only made this once a few years ago but in the end, I've choose to stay with Chameleon as my default boot loader as he was capable to handle all OSs that I had on my machine, then now I'm using Clover and he also can handle any EFI capable OS without issues...

Just a curiosity... Why you want GRUB as your default boot loader if there are many boot loaders capable to natively boot OS X (Chameleon, Clover and XPC) and also any Windows or UNIX like OS installed under Legacy or UEFI BIOSes???

Well, it was there and it worked fine. There's not really a reason besides me still being very new to this all. And I had very bad experiences with OS X bootloaders in the past :P

Edited by ikt

Ah, great! I got it working now. It doesn't boot into OS X yet, it hangs somewhere in the process, but it'll chainload fine now.

The thing I used is this:

insmod hfsplus
set root='(hd1,2)'
multiB{censored} /boot
}

So, you've got just the Chamelon "boot" file in your MacOS partition?

So, you've got just the Chamelon "boot" file in your MacOS partition?

Sorry for the late reply :)

Yes, apparently I moved the "boot" to the root. I do recommend you to use just one bootloader, now my laptop is a mess of thee seperate bootloaders.