Sign in to follow this  
Paludan2

SDD + HDD Fusion - Questions

Question

Hi OSx86! My birthday was yesterday, so I got a lot of money (I turned 18). I figured I might buy an 120gb SSD to speed up my system:). I'm currently using iAtkos L2 (Considering moving to iAtkos ML), and I'm wondering if it's possible to create a successful fusion drive using standard HDD and a SSD (Maybe the Kingston SSDNow V300 120 GB). Also which SSD would be preferable in speed and price(not too much past 100$).

?

Thank you forum, I love you all biggrin.png

?

EDIT: I'm thinking of buying the?120 GB Crucial M500 SSD :)

1. Since you already have a working OSX system using?iAtkos L2, (Lion 10.7.2), You should have no problems using an SSD.?

?

2. Your system uses the Intel G41 Express chipset, which only supports SATA II, (Read?Speed of 250-285 MB/sec),?connections, Both the SSD's you mentioned in your post are SATA III (Read?Speed of 500-550 MB/sec)?connections, While they will work with no problems, the will only work add speeds of SATA II,

?

3. As to setting up a fusion drive, it is possible usually a vey small, SSD drive is used, 20 - 60 GB, Understand that the combination of an SSD and Mechanical Hard drive will not be as fast a single SSD, 100 - 150 GB/Sec. If either the SSD or Hard drive fails, you lose all your data. ?Also setting up a Fusion drive is pretty complicated,

?

I?recomend you Purchase a SATA II Drive, (Write Speed of 250-285 MB/sec), I have seen decent SATA II drives on Newegg.com for less then $70.00 US.

?

Since you already have a working OSX system, setting it up is easy, just plug you?new SSD in your system, as a second drive, use a?Cloning utility such as Carbon Copy Cloner, (Use the older free version), and clone you system drive to your new SSD drive. Then install the latest Chameleon?Boot-loader to your SSD, reboot, set your Bios to boot from your SSD drive and your done! ?Your mechanical?hard drive can now be used for storage/backup. ?

?

I?personally use just a single Samsung 840 120 GB drive for my system and applications, ?2 120 GB Intel 320 SSD's and a Seagate 500GB Hybrid Drive as backup/Storage drives. ?The Samsung 840 SATA III SSD is a recent?upgrade from my Intel SATA II SSDs.

Thank you for the reply, I've unfortunately already bought the Crucial M500, and I'm not sure whether or not it's possible for me to buy a SATA 2 SSD in Denmark since SSDs aren't too big here and we only really have the newest versions.?

?

What can I buy to get the full support of the SATA 3 SSD? Is it a new motherboard?

?

EDIT: Is it worth it since I cannot use TRIM? Should I cancel the order?

I would not cancel the SSD order, it should work decent enough, any SSD you buy SATA II or SATA III will have have the same issues. ?The price you paid is an excellent price.

?

1. Trim should work on your Acer, ACHI is not required to enable Trim,?

?

2. ACHI however, is required for?Native Command Queuing (NCQ)?combining write operations together to improve write performance.?It will

? ? affect the?speed of the drive, but you should?be able to get 200- 230 MB/s without NCQ,?

?

3. Even if Trim can't be enabled, the?Crucial M500 SSD?implement's garbage collection, (similar to Trim), on the SSD.

?

So install it run an disk?benchmark speed test and see! For example Blackmagic's Disk speed test.

I would not cancel the SSD order, it should work decent enough, any SSD you buy SATA II or SATA III will have have the same issues. ?The price you paid is an excellent price.

?

1. Trim should work on your Acer, ACHI is not required to enable Trim,?

?

2. ACHI however, is required for?Native Command Queuing (NCQ)?combining write operations together to improve write performance.?It will

? ? affect the?speed of the drive, but you should?be able to get 200- 230 MB/s without NCQ,?

?

3. Even if Trim can't be enabled, the?Crucial M500 SSD?implement's garbage collection, (similar to Trim), on the SSD.

?

So install it run an disk?benchmark speed test and see! For example Blackmagic's Disk speed test.

?

Alright super:) I'll install it and tell you what the results are. Then maybe you can tell me some SSD tips, like what not to put on it and what to have on it :P?

The best tip I can give you relates to both your mechanical hard drive and the SSD drive.

?

After you set up your SSD with OSX, Create two partitions on your ?on your mechanical drive, make one ?20-30 GB, and use the rest of the Hard drive for the 2nd partition. Clone OSX to the smaller partition, and install Chameleon boot loader on it, use the larger one for data storage. ?That way if you change, add, or upgrade your system disk on your SSD and it won't boot or other problems, you can always boot off of the other partition and fix the issue.?

Sign in to follow this