harlandraka94

Getting kernel panic after installing kexts

Question

Hi, I have an Asus A55VM on which I have succesfully installed OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

?

It's ok, but i have no access to internet via ethernet, neither via wifi, so I searched for an Atheros wifi kext and a broadcom ethernet kext and I tried to install them. I noticed that if I try to install kexts via MB{censored}, it always says "Kext could not be installed", and if I install them via the kext utility, they get installed correctly but I get a kernel panic after reboot. And another thing i noticed is that if I go in command-line mode and delete the newly installed kexts, the kernel panic still remains.

?

It's the same for the touchpad, it doesn't work too, but installing a kext for it results in a kernel panic.

?

Is there a way to fix it?

?

If it can help, I followed this guide to install Mavericks:?http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2184-asus-k55vm-mavericks-109-update-051113-new-install-method/

5 answers to this question

It's better to install kexts manually with?KextUtility v2.5.6?...?http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3640-kext-utility-for-mavericks/?

The way you do this, is to drag the kext(s) into the application icon, and the app will do the rest for you!

?

After this process is finished, you can just double click the app icon to repair/update all kexts permissions and kext cache files. After this you should be rebooting without KP's.. (If the kexts are right for your hardware, otherwise you will get KP's or just not working hardware..

?

In case your system is working OK after rebooting, don't forget to repair permissions with Disk Utility..?wink.png

It's better to install kexts manually with?KextUtility v2.5.6?...?http://www.osx86.net/files/file/3640-kext-utility-for-mavericks/?

The way you do this, is to drag the kext(s) into the application icon, and the app will do the rest for you!

?

After this process is finished, you can just double click the app icon to repair/update all kexts permissions and kext cache files. After this you should be rebooting without KP's.. (If the kexts are right for your hardware, otherwise you will get KP's or just not working hardware..

?

In case your system is working OK after rebooting, don't forget to repair permissions with Disk Utility..?wink.png

?

Thanks, I'll try it!

Is there a way to know manufacturer and model of the wifi and LAN card I have? If I have them i can search for a specific kext and avoid another Kernel Panic.

?

Thanks!