Question

Hi,

I have full P-State and C-State in my cpu i5-3230m with ssdtPRGen 13.2.

But I feel my laptop hot (40-50 °C) when I use it ( browser, read & edit pdf, play movie )

There is a way or trick to get better colling temp, please?

?

PS: I get temp with the last HWMonitor.

Check your temperatures on Windows, if they're the same then it can't be fixed by software and most probably it was previewed by the hardware engineers. If you want it cooler for comfort purposes, the only way is replacing the cooling system, but on a laptop this will surely be tricky. Unless they used a bad cooler so that you can just replace with a good one...

I can't say they're good because as I see, the temperatures depend a lot on the laptop model and more evidently on the user's location. I've seen some people with max temperatures around 30 degrees. But having Windows as a comparison makes it clear if the OS is the responsible for having them higher than expected.

By the way, I have around 10 degrees in average on Mavericks less than on Windows 8. I'm sure my power management is correctly set, both for CPU and iGPU, and probably this is the greatest responsible. Also, after monitoring the CPU and iGPU frequencies, I realized that Windows is almost all the time using higher frequencies while Mac stays at the lowest levels except when I really do something heavier.

My experience is quite the opposite. I had 15+ laptops in my possession, that means I tested them all extensively, windows power management was always better, windows system was always few degrees cooler, and very rarely OS X had lower temperatures. Then again, that is all my personal experience, so I could be wrong. In my opinion, everything below 50 degrees celsius is ok for laptop.

In my laptop windows stay 41°C in normal web browser with chrome,

but with mac os chrome stay 48°C,

but when I use safari in mac os it stay to 43°C.

I think power manager depend on apps' optimization too.