hackintosh0505

ram slots ....

Question

hi guys,

?

this query may be a bit dumb, i am just curious, I am running my Hack on a Gigabyte GA-G4!M- Combo. I understand that commonly, only either ddr2 or r3 should be used. not simultaneously....

?

However upon looking at the ?info about my rams as in the screenshot....i am wondering ifffff i can utilise both r3 and r3, since the mobo is already been hacked... OR it is still a BIG NO .... :lol:??

?

?

post-632952-0-96463300-1405251978_thumb.

2 answers to this question

You have a Hackintosh not a Macintosh :)

Because a Macintosh does not have the possibility of choosing between DDR2 and DDR3 I think thats why you see 4 memory modules slots.

?

But this is what the manual says:

"Populating DDR2 and DDR3 memory modules simultaneously is not supported."

?

DDR2 and DDR3 are not working at the same Voltage > 1,5 and 1,8 Volt. I think if you try it you will damage the memory modules or the motherboard?

?

BTW my P35C shows the same. But the manual also says only 4GB DDR3 is supported and I am using 8GB (2x 4GB DDR3) without any troubles for years now.

?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3505#sp

?

?

And a DDR2 memory module doesn't fit in a DDR3 slot? ;)

Thanks for your reply Rene. Also for the detailed explanation. I wouldn't wanna fry my board !

Btw, in your case .... I think it shouldn't be a problem, as long as the module are of the same family .......

True, ddr2 will not fit in a ddrr3 slot, but my Mobo is a combo model, thus has both r2 and r3 slots, thus creating a curiosity in me. ... But it's clear nw...cheers.