theconsumer1

[NOOB GUIDE] Switch from Chameleon to Clover EFI – Hackintosh

?
?
Prologue:
?
This guide consists of basic information on how to use?Clover EFI?as a bootloader and discusses the potential challenges one may face when migrating from the traditional Chameleon/Chimera bootloader to ? ? Clover.
?
This is intended for UEFI board users.
The purpose of this guide is to offer basic knowledge on how you learn to make the switch from Chameleon to?Clover?and how to enable functions in?Clover?like you can ever so easily do in Chameleon.
?
Why switch?
?
The main reason you would want to switch from Chameleon/Chimera to?Clover EFI?is because EFI booting is faster. It is also more sophisticated than BIOS-type booting (how you are booting if using Chameleon) and ? operates in a completely different way that I don’t completely understand. Furthermore, it has the potential to increase compatibility if you know how to use it… Again, I’m by no means educated on this topic of ?computing.
?
Install Clover
?
Most of you have had a hackintosh for awhile now so your confidence should be slightly high. Why not give it a shot? I’m not going to get into an intensive guide on installing?Clover?to either a USB or a partition because that’s not what this guide is for.
?
To make a USB bootloader of?Clover, download the latest version (currently: v2k r3050.) Format a USB in Disk-utility as?MSDOS (FAT32)?and run the installer package you downloaded of clover. There are also ? custom optional drivers and settings that can be installed to help the boot process.
?
Just like Chameleon you can also make a bootable Mac OSX Yosemite installer with Clover.
?
The Switch
?
This is where I find my information most valuable to new?Clover?users and I think the lack of this information below is a main reason that many hackintoshers are intimidated by Clover and refuse to use it. In order to use?Clover?as a hackintosher, you’ll need a way to edit boot files and configure the files to your system--just as you’ve done in Chameleon with boot flags and .plists. Luckily there is a great tool to make life much easier for us. It is called?Clover Configurator.?This guide will explain how to use it as a hackintosher. You will also want the application Show Hidden Files to have access to them. You can find this on the web anywhere.
?
Download?Clover Configurator:??http://www.hackintoshosx.com/files/file/49-clover-configurator/
?
?
1.??Config.plist?- Config.plist is basically clover's?org.chameleon.boot.plist?that you would find in?/Extra?on a partition with Chameleon/Chimera installed. It contains information about bootflags, smbios identifiers, ? ? ? ? ?kext injections, and other essential information. This is the file you want to load inside Clover Configurator to tweak it by adding flags, changing smbios, etc. It is found in?/EFI/Clover?folder.
?
? ? ? If you made a Clover USB OSX Installer and cannot see the EFI partition, use terminal command?diskutil list?and find the disk # and partition # of your drive. Then use the terminal command?diskutil mount ? ? ? ? ? ? ? disk#s# ?(replacing the # for the appropriate disk/partition #s). The EFI partition should then be mounted on the desktop which you can access it.?Note: This is also a feature inside Clover Configurator, which you can mount the EFI partition without the use of terminal commands.
?
2. ?Kext Injection?- Simply put, kext injection means installing kexts to a folder on the Clover bootloader in order to make the system boot. When booting from OSX these kexts will be "injected" or loaded. This is especially useful to enable booting in OSX. This is the equivalent to the?/Extra/Extensions?folder found on Chameleon partitions and on U{censored} USB Installers, you would find some pre-installed universal kexts there which probably help your system boot. However, injection must be enabled in the boot menu or by using Clover Configurator for this to work in Clover. Chameleon loads them automatically when installed to?/Extra/Extensions. The directory in which you should install your injected kexts to is in the EFI Partition at?/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.10 .

?

3.?GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No?- This flag the majority of you use cannot simply be achieved in Clover by typing it at the boot screen. To turn on/off GraphicsEnabling you must load your config.plist in Clover Configurator. Then click the?Graphics?button on the left side panel. You will see in the middle of the screen options that say "Inject Intel" , "Inject ATI" and "Inject NVidia". You must select one of these choices if you desire to set?GraphicsEnabler=Yes.?If you want GraphicsEnabler=No, leave the boxes?unchecked.

?

4.?SMBIOS changing?- Many hackintoshers need a specific SMBIOS file to help OSX define their system to increase compatibility in ways I don't have knowledge of. All I know is i need a Mac Pro 3,1 for my smbios. Those of you using Chameleon/Chimera will find an smbios.plist at?/Extra.?Clover stores this SMBIOS information inside the Config.plist file. To modify the smbios definition, you need to open config.plist in Clover Configurator. Load your config.plist in Clover Configurator. Navigate to the "SMBIOS" button the left side panel. On the far right you will see a square button that has a wand on it. A menu will then be brought up of images you can select. By selecting the images, you can load different smbios identifiers as you wish. (pics included below)

?

?

Clover Configurator Tutorial:

?

1. ?Configuring Clover for Kext Injection/adding boot flags

? ? ? After installing the kexts you want loaded on boot (see above if confused where to install). Open your config.plist in Clover Configurator and navigate to?Boot?on the left hand side. Here you will see ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? checkboxes for bootflags and a window to manually add them via typing. To enable kext injection please type the flag ?WithKexts ?in the box. Export the config.plist and overwrite the original. Now you can ? ? ? ? ? ? select to "boot with injected kexts" at the Clover boot menu by hitting the spacebar under the partition.

?

?

2. Configuring GraphicsEnabler=Yes

? ? As mentioned above, load the config.plist and navigate to?Graphics?option on the left sidebar. Chose the correct injection for your card.

?

?

3. Set up an SMBIOS with Clover Configurator.

? ? Load config.plist and navigate to the?SMBIOS?button on the sidebar to the left. Once selected, click the "wand" icon to on the right side of the screen. Then chose the image of the mac computer you want to ? ? ? ? use for your system definition.

?

?

?

? ??

?

I hope this has helped some amateur users in hackintoshing. If there is information wrong in this guide I am trusting the admins and supervisors to correct me. As I stated, I am a noob at this stuff.

?

I would like to thank the forum Hackintoshosx.com for such great work they do here. I would also like to thank the Clover development team for their hard work.?

?

Thanks for reading and keep on hackintoshin`!

Edited by theconsumer1

I still do not fully understand your guide, after reading it thrice.!!!

You need to keep it simple, for US simple-minded folks,....struggling to keep up.

Thank You.

?

PS : Good effort, Very much Appreciated...But puhlease.!!!! ?Simplify.

?

Thank You Again

I still do not fully understand your guide, after reading it thrice.!!!

You need to keep it simple, for US simple-minded folks,....struggling to keep up.

Thank You.

?

PS : Good effort, Very much Appreciated...But puhlease.!!!! ?Simplify.

?

Thank You Again

?

This guide is as simple as it gets, friend.

?

If you can't understand this guide, you?never?built a hackintosh.

?

Trust me man, you won't find?any info about how to use Clover like you do here. I am willing to answer any questions you have to help you out.

On 12/7/2014, 6:20:24, theconsumer1 said:

?The poster of the Noob Guide offered?to further explain things. Here is A start of that for REAL CLOVER NOOBS.

I understand how to open EFI and read the contents including config.plist

I don't know how to change things: Especially add or patch KEXTS.

When the directions say to inject kexts- What is the mechanism to do that?

Can I just copy & paste into S/L/E?

If ?so do I paste into EFI>Clover>config.plist>kernel & kexts patches or: somewhere else?

If I can't just copy & past kexts into the proper location, what tools can I use?

Can I use Kext.wizard? Any other old favorite kexts TOOL?

Should I use the tool that pops-up when I highlight ?efi>clover>config.plist KERNEL & KEXT PATCHES??

If So, how do I use this tool to add kexts? I tried dragging a kexts to the SECTION FORCE KEXTS TO LOAD even tried after clicking the + sign. That didn't work.

Is there a place that describes how to use all the forms that pop up when you select a part of the config.plist such as:

ACPI

BOOT

CPU

DEVICES

etc.

?

When I look at s/l/e using FINDER I see fewer kexts than if I ?use System information.app.

What tool should I use to read/see the kexts that are listed in config.plist.

?

IF I HAVE ASKED THE WRONG QUESTIONS PLEASE ANSWER THE RIGHT ONES THAT I DID NOT KNOW ENOUGH TO ASK.

vienna,

I cannot answer any of your questions. It is all in the guide. Also, you need to use?ShowHiddenFiles.app?if you are having trouble seeing kexts.?

?

NO?kexts are inside the config file. Did you even read the guide? Kexts are installed at S/L/E ? ? ?or ? ? ? /EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/10.x.

?

You should not have to do anything but install Clover and add the kexts. Don't even screw with the config file.?Then you can head over to?Post Installation?section and posts issues you might have.?

Nice?work theconsumer1 - thanks for the guide.

Everyone remember - if you haven't broken it?five times - then you aren't reading the instructions wrong enough!?

Keep the faith - it will be worth it when it works :)?