RePete222

Dead mouse after reaching El Cap Installer

Question

I have created an Enoch-bootable USB Installer volume for El Capitan, and after applying USB fixes, I can get it to boot all the way to the OS X Installer welcome screen.  Unfortunately, my mouse is non-responsive at that point.  I can get past the language selector screen by hitting return or enter, but can't get past the next screen (with the Back and Continue buttons at the bottom).  My tab key works for switching the highlight outline from one button to the other, but hitting return/enter after highlighting the Continue button does nothing.  The system will recognize a Cmd+Q, and put up the Quit dialog, but from there I can only get to the Startup Disk selector, and can't do a thing except reboot.

Any ideas on what kernel flags or other fixes I need to get to the OS X installer with a working mouse (and keyboard)?

If you already used USBBusFix=Yes then try change bios settings

Also change USB ports if not working then try to rollback IOUSBfamily and IOUSBMassStorage  kext from 10.9 or 10.6.8 or 10.10

Partial success. :)  I backed out to the 10.9-level IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage kexts, and also updated to a newer AMD kernel, and at least got my mouse working.  However, all other USB access (besides keyboard & mouse) is not working:  I get a message about "System Extension ____ cannot be used" when inserting a flash drive, e.g., and said flash drive will not mount.

BIOS settings might have been in play initially, as I discovered that they had reverted to factory default settings.  However, resetting those to their intended settings did not solve the mouse issue.  Since I have also updated my kernel, I may go back to the vanilla kexts and see if I now have a working mouse that way, and then apply the previous USB fixes (which were basically a reversion to 10.10-level kexts) as needed.

13 hours ago, RePete222 said:

Partial success. :)  I backed out to the 10.9-level IOUSBFamily and IOUSBMassStorage kexts, and also updated to a newer AMD kernel, and at least got my mouse working.  However, all other USB access (besides keyboard & mouse) is not working:  I get a message about "System Extension ____ cannot be used" when inserting a flash drive, e.g., and said flash drive will not mount.

This msg comes with older system.My c2d has this error to but idk what the error is.

Anyway there is an issue with usb in 10.11 in Intel systems. Apple changes the usb names and smbios settings.So try  smbios macpro3,1

post your dsdt and ioreg so i can take a look on usb section

On 1/23/2016 at 7:12 AM, Dmos said:

This msg comes with older system.My c2d has this error to but idk what the error is.

Anyway there is an issue with usb in 10.11 in Intel systems. Apple changes the usb names and smbios settings.So try  smbios macpro3,1

post your dsdt and ioreg so i can take a look on usb section

I will work on getting DSDT & ioreg at some point.  Working some more over the weekend, I did make enough progress (not really sure what I did differently than before) to at least have working USB, even though the same messages about unusable System Extensions pop up whenever a USB device is plugged in.  Getting past those messages, however, flash drives will still mount, and the plugged in mouse still works.

For my USB Installer volume, however, things have gone backwards. :(  After applying the same kernel update and USB fixes that I now have on my working El Cap system, booting from the Installer volume stalls after the mount messages are issued for the other connected volumes.  I let it sit for over 30 minutes, and still no progress past that point.  I really would like to get the Installer volume bootable, complete with working mouse support.

I tried applying the USB Fix V3 and the Y2K4U kernel, and still get a dead mouse.  With various other combinations of kernel version/USB kext versions, I still get the same result.  What I had prior to this latest tinkering would work off and on, without any changes being made to kexts/kernel/bootflags! :confused-new:

What isn't clear on the USB Fix page is whether the supplied kexts need to go into E/E, S/L/E, or both.  I have tried putting them in E/E only, as well as replacing/adding them in S/L/E (other than the ones it says to remove from S/L/E), and still no working mouse.

For extracting DSDT/Ioreg, can that be done under a back-level OS (Mav or SL)?  Without a working mouse, I would need a mouse-less way of doing it if it needs to be done in El Cap.

Also, I noticed that the sample kextcache output spakk pasted into the comments section has messages "kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature ..."; I don't see those when I do it, but instead get the invalid permissions error-type messages (don't recall exact wording).  What kext-dev-mode value should I be using (currently using kext-dev-mode=1)?  Does it make a difference doing it in single-user mode? (which is the only way I can do it, without a working mouse.)

org.chameleon.Boot.plist

RePete222’s Mac Pro IOReg.ioreg

RePete222 System DSDT.dsl

Edited by RePete222
Uploaded DSDT