RePete222

Dead mouse after reaching El Cap Installer

Question

I have created an Enoch-bootable USB Installer volume for El Capitan, and after applying USB fixes, I can get it to boot all the way to the OS X Installer welcome screen.  Unfortunately, my mouse is non-responsive at that point.  I can get past the language selector screen by hitting return or enter, but can't get past the next screen (with the Back and Continue buttons at the bottom).  My tab key works for switching the highlight outline from one button to the other, but hitting return/enter after highlighting the Continue button does nothing.  The system will recognize a Cmd+Q, and put up the Quit dialog, but from there I can only get to the Startup Disk selector, and can't do a thing except reboot.

Any ideas on what kernel flags or other fixes I need to get to the OS X installer with a working mouse (and keyboard)?

My installer USB volume still hangs, even after applying the same fixes that got my test partition working.  Here's a screenshot of the point where it hangs.

DSC06383.JPG

Success once again on my El Cap test partition. :)  I figured out that the USB Fix V3 kexts need to go into both E/E and S/L/E--including the two replacements for the ones the instructions say to remove from S/L/E (IOUSBFamily.kext & IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext).  With those in place, I still got the errors rebuilding PrelinkedKernel in single-user mode, but managed to reach the desktop with a working mouse.  Once there, I ran Kext Wizard to repair permissions in E/E and S/L/E, and then opened a Terminal session to rerun the sudo commands to rebuild caches.  This time, I only got warning messages, and the rebuild succeeded.  Upon rebooting, I had full USB support, and no more "System Extension cannot be used" messages popped up.

Now--any ideas on how I can get my Installer USB volume to boot all the way? (see previous post)

On 28/01/2016 at 1:30 AM, RePete222 said:

Now--any ideas on how I can get my Installer USB volume to boot all the way? (see previous post)

Use the same kext in the installer and rebuild USB installer cache with Kext wizard

On 1/30/2016 at 0:56 AM, Dmos said:

Use the same kext in the installer and rebuild USB installer cache with Kext wizard

I tried doing that, and even rebuilt the installer USB after downloading the 10.11.3 Install app.  Still get same results.  When I do manage to get all the way into the Installer, I still have a dead mouse.  After making every possible repair/rebuild with Kext Wizard (and also booting in -s mode to enter kextcache commands), booting still hangs in the same place as before.

Does the latest Kext Wizard version do the cache/prelinked kernel rebuilds properly for El Cap?  If not, what utility/version should I be using for that purpose?  If I were to attempt it via a Terminal session (from a working El Cap system), is there a way to issue the kextcache commands against a different target volume?

Does anyone know what the real issue is that is causing this boot hang (per screenshot in prior post)?

12 hours ago, Dmos said:

can u post org.chameleon.boot.plst here

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>BooterConfig</key>
    <string>0x28</string>
    <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
    <string>103</string>
    <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
    <string>Yes</string>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>/System/Library/Kernels/kernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-v -f npci=0x3000 kext-dev-mode=1 usekernelcache=No</string>