CharCat

Clean Install on ASUS IPIBL-LB

I have an ASUS IPIBL-LB based HP Pavilion with a bIare 250 GB HDD. I have yet to find a decent guide I've yet to find a plain English guide on how to install OSX 10.7 Lion on it. I have the .dmg file all ready to go but every "guide" I seen so far implies I need a dozen other things, most of which are no longer available or imply I need to have Snow Leopard already installed. And hitting the forums at {censored} and insanely mac is akin to talking in a barrel. Anyone here able to help?

HP Pavilion a6400f Desktop PC Product Specifications.pdf

Yes we do read them when we come across them, but you also seem to have answered your own question too.

In order to make your own boot loader you need to have certain tools that have to be run on a computer already running OS X or you need a real Apple Mac computer.

If you don't already have any of the above then you will need the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install DVD (Easily purchased with a call Apple Sales).

You will then need a boot loader which you can download and burn to CD using a windows machine. As long as you have a DVD drive connected you can then install Snow Leopard

Once you have Snow Leopard installed and running then you can proceed with making yourself either a bootable USB or another installation DVD, there are numerous articles/guides available for creating them, but they have to be executed from within a mac environment.

So ... in conclusion all you need is:

1. Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installation DVD
  2. A CD Based boot loader (there are many to choose from)
  3. Once you have Snow Leopard running you need a tool that will convert your Lion 10.7 .dmg file into a bootable USB stick or DVD, USB is the official recommended route as Snow Leopard was the last DVD based installation Apple released.
  4. Install Lion 10.7 and apply .kexts to hopefully achieve a fully functional Mac OS X Lion 
  5. If you get stuck then come back and ask for further help, the Hackintosh community is very much a 'Help yourself' community, do your research and try before you cry :)

I hope this clears things up a little for you :)

Martin

I used NAWCOM BootCD & followed the instruction. I get a light grey screen that gives more information about my computer than I though possible. When I hit "Q" to continue, the computer restarts. What might be missing?

Got it to work. I also needed to swap cables between the DVD dram and the HDD because they were reversed. Snow Leopard (retail) wants the player to be drive 0 (first drive) or you get a hung system continually saying "Waiting for root drive". Now, Snow Leopard (retail) hangs after saying a later version of a kext is already installed. Please refer to my other post "Snow Leopard hangs on install" - http://www.osx86.net/forums/topic/24230-snow-leopard-retail-hangs-during-install/