Sign in to follow this  
TpwUK

Big Bertha's Big Brother

And so it begins ... The Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

This is going to be an ongoing build. The first phase of which is to see if the board can really run a Hackintosh - I have not found any success stories with this motherboard, let us see if we can rectify that :)

Phase 1 Build components:

Phase 1 Extra Requirements:

• A working Computer already running a version of OS X greater than Snow Leopard 10.6.8 of your choice with a live internet connection.
  • A USB keyboard and mouse of your choice, nothing fancy at this stage.
  • A small torch ... The case is huge and unless you have good all round lighting you will need an extra source of light now and again ;)

This looks cheap n tacky by the above list, but if this board rocks to Sierra's beat then it's going to be a build that should last a 6 years before it needs a replacement. The dream is for a 3D Rendering Workstation with up to 88 Threads of  pure grunt. But we need to stay tight here for now, just to see if the board plays with OS X - Snow Leopard first, gently slowly catchy monkey here. 

USB Bootable Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Installer Creation:

This is as simple as it gets really, truest me this was so easy i couldn't believe it!

1. Simply place your Snow Leopard DVD in your DVD drive.
  2. Insert your USB Pen drive.
  3. Launch Disk Util from Applications/Utilities folder, or Other depending on your OS X Version
  4. Format the USB Pen Drive as a single partition formatted as Mac OS Extended (journaled) and name it as SnowBoot
  5. When the formatting is complete, either right click the DVD OS X Installation and select restore, or Select the SnowBoot USB pen drive and click restore. Depending on the method required, restore the DVD to the SnowBoot USB pen drive.
  6. It can take a while to restore the image to the pen drive, but once completed, you can eject the DVD from the drive, and exit Disk Util
  7. Install Clover build 3726 to your USB Pen Drive by selecting it in the Install Location dialog screen, then click Customise option and set it up with the following settings: 
  • Install for UEFI booting only
  • Install Clover in the ESP
  • Add a theme if you want one
  • From Drivers64UEFI add - DatHubDxe-64 + OsxAptioFiz2Drv-64 + PartitionDxe-64
  • Install RC Scripts on target volume
  • Click Install

This build really is for the more advanced Hackintosh builder really so i am going to assume that you know how to work your way around your Clover EFI boot loader folders structure. We only need two kext files to get OS X 10.6.3 up n running, so you need to add FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext to either Other or 10.6 folder in your clover kext folders list. I prefer to use Other because it's the first folder that Clover will check for kext files. The config.plist file is really simple too. Using Clover Configurator add the following ...

• ACPI = Off other than Generate P & C states and add C6 support. Don't forget to turn off all the NewWay stuff too!
  • Boot = -v arch=x86_64 - Deault Boot Volume = LastBootedVolume, Default Boot Loader = BOOTX64.efi
  • GUI = Set language to suit you, Screen Resolution to 1280x1024 and then add your theme chosen from install time.
  • Kernel & Kext Patches = Kernel CPU + Apple RTC
  • Generate SMBios to suit Mac Pro 5,1
  • System Parameters = No Caches ticked, Inject Kexts as Yes, turn off Inject System ID
  • Install Drivers = From the Drivers UEFI 64 Bit section add these three ... PartitionDXE, OsxAptioFix2Drv and DataHubDxe
  • Save your config.plist and exit Clover Configurator

BIOS Settings for Snow Leopard Installation:

This motherboard does not come with a printed manual, nearly £500 for a motherboard that has no manual is a disgrace to me! So you will need to visit your local Asus website and download the manual. There are lots of settings in this 3204 BIOS, there is a a 3304 BIOS but I have not tried that version as of yet because the previous board to this one developed problems after the update and ended up being returned with a continuous socket 1 error when ever a true graphics mode was encountered. But that's another story. If you have already tried playing with settings in the BIOS then enter the BIOS and set it to defaults with F5. Save those settings and then search for the VT-d and turn it off. Find your CSM settings and set to following:

• CSM Always
  • UEFI and Legacy boot mode
  • Ethernet to UEFI
  • Other PCI Devices to UEFI
  • Graphics Display as Legacy
  • Storage to Legacy (Just for now) 

You have all you need to get the Z10PE-D8 WS running OS X 10.6.3 and if you want to, you can add the 10.6.8 combo updater available from Apple support. Just visit Apples website click support, then search for 10.6.8 Combo Update. You will find two files. One is just over a gig in size and the other is 400mb. Download them both and add to your USB Pen Drive where ever you want them to be, install the 1Gb first, then restart, then install the smaller one and restart again.

image.jpeg

This is not looking good - I have upgraded through to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 but that's as far as it goes via the upgrade route. If I try and move on to Mountain Lion the I get an error I have not seen before with a Hackintosh, that error reads:

AppleKCS::waitForIBF timed out! which repeats a few times and then adds AppleKCS::IPMISendCommand retries on command 0x1 failed, this repeats a number of times with the command part incrementing then the computer will just reboot.

Trying to jump to Mavericks results in a just a black screen when it should be the installer screen, so no errors to be seen and no progress gained with -v -x so your guess is as good as mine .... Looks like i am gonna have to learn how to hack the system files after all :/ Anybody up for a go ? My coding skills are very very rusty !

This is definitely an interesting board to play with. I personally don´t believe this motherboard can take stepping up the OS X release line. AFIK Mountain Lion started to introduce XNU/XPM and because this board supports direct power management from the CPUś i think it gets all confused when confronted with a cross between legacy AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and AppleACPIPlatform etc etc. So i think this one is going to be a single leap from SL as the starting OS and then going straight to El Capitan or MacOS Sierra. We shall see.

Well that´s the theoretical stuff out the way, the reality bit is that I had a sudden power outage today and it seems to have corrupted my Z9PE-D8´s NVRam because all i get on boot is that this version of OS X can not run on this platform! So i am typing this from the Z10PE running Mint Linux so I will hopefully find a way to be able to get OS X on here. Need to hack the USB Installer and see what I can do to get it running. Might take a few days, but I will be hopping in and out to see how peeps are doing :)

On Friday 23rd September 2016 at 01:37 the Z10PE-D8 WS finally succumbed - Just the dreaded black screen after install to sort out, then the obligatory DSDT/SSDT fun and kexts to find etc etc.

The theory over XCPM proved correct. macOS Sierra is on board :)

This board or MacOS has still got some fight in them, GTX660Ti and R9 285 both just boot to black screens after verbose output section ..... Grrrr!! So close - lol

After some messing and a lot of reading I do have this system running 10.12 Sierra booting from the NVMe PCIe SSD M.2 drive. I am awaiting 2xE5-2683v4 CPU's to arrive sometime next week, if they all go well I will do a full write-up on how to get this bad boy kicking some butt. It's actually surprisingly easy to do, so the difficulties associated with this board have been teething problems with the early adopters and the BIOS. It's gonna be another big post so I'll give you plenty of time to be ready for it :)