NateDev

AMD Yosemite Install Error - Essentials.pkg

Question

I am trying to install Yosemite 10.10 on my AMD PC. My specs are AMD FX 6200, GeForce GT 740, ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0, 16GB GSkill 1600MHz RAM, 3TB Seagate HDD. I use the boot flags "/amd npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 -v" and I get to the installer. I format a 150GB partition on my HDD to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) and I followed a tutorial to customize the install. I then click install and after 5 or so minutes I get an error saying that it failed to extract Essentials.pkg. I've tried only using 1 8GB RAM stick, and I've put them in different slots. I have also tried using brand new 8GB RAM, Adata, two 4GB sticks, and I've tried using only one of them. I also have no other drives connected other than the USB drive and my HDD. I have also tried removing my PCIe network adapter. What else can I do to fix this problem? Thanks

I have had this happen before and it's a sign of a corrupted installer, rebuild your USB installer from scratch and do not use the same Yosemite file from App Store since it's either a bad download or has been used before.

Martin

The legitimate route is to either have an Apple Mac to create your USB Installer or you would need an AMD based boot loader and a Snow Leopard DVD purchased through Apple Sales.

When you use a distribution you have no control or knowledge of what they have done. If you seriously need to go that route, then contact them directly with your issues and see if they can resolve them.

Sadly we can not support or condone the use of pirated versions of OS X which is what your installer is.

Martin

So if I use my friends Mac to create a USB installer, and then I replace the kernel with a one that works for AMD, would that be a better option? Or, if I buy Snow Leopard is that eligible for an upgrade to Yosemite?

Edited by NateDev

All versions from Snow Leopard are free from Apple App Store other than Lion. The method you describe sounds spot on to me :)

After that the next problem is finding other AMD CPU uses out there for help.

This place looks promising ... http://amd-osx.com

Martin

Ok. Thanks for the help :) I'm going to get the kernel from here: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Patched_Kernels. My friend has on his Mac the DMG file for Yosemite. Do you know how I would make the USB bootable? I've used TransMac before. Also where can I find the kernel in the DMG? I've currently got the image on my Windows PC right now, and I've attached some screenshots. I just figured it out. I have to open up the DMG, open up Essentials.pkg and go in to the kernels folder. I can do this on my friends Mac with Pacifist, but if you know of a Windows utility that can do the job, then that would be great! :)  Figured it out again! I am currently extracting the DMG with HFS File Explorer and then using that program again I can open up the DMG. Then I just have to use TransMac to make the USB bootable. I assume I would need to install a bootloader like Chameleon or Clover, right? Seeing as this is a Hackintosh.

Edited by NateDev
Extra Details