xJPN

Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 DisplayPort issues!

Question

Hello all,

Here are my system specs:
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1
CPU: Intel 4790K
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 reference model, on water
RAM: 16GB 1600 MHz
512 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (OS X)
256 GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Win7 64bit)
Monitor: LG 31MU97

I am having problems with my GPU(or at least I think the GPU is the problem). I am using DisplayPort to connect to my LG monitor. It is very important that I use the DisplayPort connection. I need the 4k resolution at 60 Hz at pretty much all times for the work I will be doing. Therefore HDMI wont cut it. The problem I am having, however, I believe lies with the DisplayPort. Just as an example, whenever I boot to BIOS I get a horribly distorted image(see image below). Whereas if I use HDMI, there is no distortion. As you can see from the specs above, my system is a Hackintosh, but up until now I haven't really used the OS X drive much. So much of my explanation pertains to my experience while in Windows 7, although when testing out OS X I had many of the same problems.

It was not very easy setting up my GPU when I first got it. After I installed the drivers and essentials for operation, and plugged into the monitor via DisplayPort, the image on the screen was distorted and stuck on a nasty resolution of 640x480. I was able to quickly fix this by creating a custom resolution at 4096x2160 in the Nvidia Control Panel. However, the Nvidia Control Panel actually still recommends the 640x480 resolution for my 4k monitor for some reason, but only when I am plugged in via DisplayPort. When plugged in via HDMI it picks up 4k resolutions with no problem(but only at up to 24 Hz).

I am not sure if there is something I can do to make the card automatically identify the LG monitor as a 4k monitor and not have to rely on software. At present I am not sure if there is anything actually wrong with the card, or if it may even be the monitor. I have no other DisplayPort monitors to test it on at the moment.

So I need help figuring out a solution to this. Ive re-flashed the BIOS for the GPU with no result, but other than that I'm not really sure what I should do.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Distorted BIOS - DisplayPort->GTX 980

345d6b6.jpg

Not Distorted BIOS - HDMI->GTX 980

14j7o89.jpg

Nvidia Control Panel with HDMI Connection

huhugh.jpg

Nvidia Control Panel with DisplayPort Connection

214bevt.jpg

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet