ozziesironmanoffroad

after processor upgrade sierra is very unstable

Question

So my hackintosh rig that ran almost perfectly on Sierra, with an i3 2120, was upgraded with an i7 2600k. Since then, it has been extremely unstable.

A lot of times it wont boot, it will either KP out, or just shut down. Clover tends to freeze when I select 'boot verbose' so I can see whats going on. When it does boot, sometimes it works fine, but then within a couple of days it will start freaking out...email wont open due to a network issue, it wont load pages saying the dns is incomplete or whatever message.

It did this after I overclocked to 4.4GHz, so I figured it was not liking the OC. okay, so I set it back to stock and it ran ok for a little while, then started doing the same things.

I have nullcpupowermanagement.kext installed in the clover kexts folder for 10.12, but it loads intel anyway, and throttling does work... SMC sensors.

This morning I started to do some homework, and it started not connecting and lagging bad. So I rebooted it, and it wont boot. I pulled the power plug out and held the power button for 30 seconds, just in case. Still wont boot. Tried multiple times, and wont boot. It keeps shutting down when it gets to the last part before the graphics load. So I think I have it narrowed down to the graphics.... but what I don't get is why its doing this all of a sudden.

specs

Asus P8Z68V-LE motherboard

Intel i7 2600k 3.5GHz (don't have it overclocked unless I'm gaming in Windows)

24GB DDR3 memory

Mac OS Sierra 12.12.3 ( I believe, cant boot it to check, it could possibly be .4) on a Samsung 120GB SSD

CLOVER bootloader

Windows 10 Professional on a 120GB Kingston SSD

Geforce GTX 570 1GB

even overclocked, after running Prime 95 all night, the highest temperature it hit was 67c, so at stock speeds I know that it is not overheating or anything.

Thinking it needs a reinstall of Sierra, as the OS was a reimage from a test hard drive I installed and configured it on.

Thoughts?

3 answers to this question

@ozziesironmanoffroad

Not sure if we'll see you around again, but know that if you used a custom SSDT with your previous CPU, this one could cause all these issues you're actually incurring (or were?) with your new CPU.

Removing this one could help to solve your issues or a new custom SSDT for your new CPU.

You may have to check GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates via Clover GUI - maybe also GenerateXStates.

Good luck!  ;)

BR

fantomas