Sign in to follow this  
shockforcetx

Custom Hackintosh with Pacific Liquid Cooling. RGB MADNESS!

I finished my hackintosh a couple of days ago. I am a gamer, but I'm also a web programmer. For years i've struggled with the dilemma of running 2 different (and sometimes more) computers for work and for play. Anyone who's gone through this understands that pulling all your monitor cables, mouse, keyboard, headset and other peripherals out of one computer and into another is a gigantic pain. So my goal here was to build a bad ass gaming PC that would allow me to push the limits of my Acer 144hz gaming monitor (so 140 - 160fps @ 2560x1440 resolution), but also have FULL native compatibility with Mac osX with as little hacking as possible.

I can say after having used this for several days for web development and all of my routine mac osX tasks, it is an absolute dream mac. It's by far the fastest, most awesome mac computer I've ever used. The windows 10 gaming side is just as bad ass and I'm achieving 125 - 150fps in Battlefield one on high settings at max resolution. It's a beauty. You just restart and choose your OS and you're on your way. 

As far as the install goes, I didn't have to do anything special except use the nvidia web drivers flag when booting. The bluetooth on the ASUS rog Maximus Viii Formula works out of the box, the tp-link n900 wifi card works out of the box and all other hardware, so this was a completely painless osx install and so far I have not crashed or had a kernel panic even once.

Hardware:

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Formula Motherboard

Processor - Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0Ghz

RAM - G.Skill DDR4 PC2133 64GB (4 x 16GB)

GFX - Gigabyte Aorus Nvidia GTX 1080 TI 11GB

WI-FI - PCI-E TP-Link N900 Wireless Card

Cooling - Thermaltake Pacific Liquid Cooling with Thermaltake RGB Waterblock and Dual Radiator with RGB 120 Fans

PSU - 850 Watt Thermaltake RGB Power Supply - Gold Certified

USB 3.0 - Working!

USB C - Working!

SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

HDD - Western Digital Hybrid 3TB / Flash HDD X 2

Made a video about this here: https://www.youtube....h?v=lyEqpFR12KE

DSC_1668.jpg

DSC_1669.jpg

DSC_1670.jpg

DSC_1671.jpg

DSC_1672.jpg

DSC_1673.jpg

DSC_1674.jpg

DSC_1675.jpg

DSC_1676.jpg

DSC_1677.jpg

DSC_1678.jpg

DSC_1679.jpg

DSC_1680.jpg

On 6/26/2017 at 9:09 AM, noway said:

Didn´t see the glass plate at first to keep off cable biters or poking fingers. :)

An impressive work for sure. May I ask how much money you had to hand out for it?

Haha yeah, the Thermaltake Core P5 is by far my favorite case ever made, its beautiful. Its got a .25" plexi glass front that is barely visible.

I built the computer when all the components were brand new, so including the new GTX 1080 that went in last weekend, and not including the original purchase of dual AMD R9 390X's, it was right at $3000.

On 7/6/2017 at 3:20 AM, MichaelJohnson said:

Hello guys, I'm new here. Can anyone tell me which monitor is best for racing car games? Thanks in advance.

that really .depends on what kind of graphics settings your computer can push. The best monitors right now that are affordable are 144hz gaming monitors. I have an Acer XG 144hz gaming monitor (https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499467569&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+xg)

The thing with 144hz is that if you want to really see all of those frames your computer needs to be able to actually push 144 frames per second.

I don't know what GPU and system you have but on mine, I have an I7 6700K, GTX 1080TI and 64GB DDR4. On that system I can run high settings in project cars and get like 100 - 110 fps at 2560x1440 so a gaming monitor definitely has an edge over a normal 60hz monitor in that respect.

If you don't have a system that will push more than 60FPS on the games that you play, then don't waste your money on a "gaming" monitor. We just bought some $300 4k Asus monitors on amazon for work and they're amazing.