Sign in to follow this  
Tonemapper

Newbie New build

Question

Newbie warning!

I’m looking into my first ever Hackintiosh build and have read load of stuff here and watched Youtube builds etc and feel confident (and excited) to embark on this new build but would like some advice from the experts.

I currently have a Mac Pro early 2008 2x2.8 GHz quad core Xeon which I plan to give to my son after a sucessful build.

I’d like some advice and opinion on hardware - I have a budget of approx £1000.

What’s the nicest case? I don’t need LED lighting but would like something well designed, quiet and good looking with ports on the front and back and space for 4x 3.5inch spinning disks. DVD/Bluray would be nice but not essential.

What GPU? I use FCPX, Motion, some Adobe Premiere, Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Aperture and Handbrake for transcoding (nothing in 4K yet but it’ll come) but would also like to enter the world of PC gaming. I want it to be as fast as possible with these but remain within my budget of course.

DVI or Displayport are essential. (I use Dell 27in U2713HM 2560x1440)

As far as Mobo is concerned, I need at least one PCI MVMe M.2 slot for the OS’s, maybe more 

CPU - I want to go for on the Core i7-7700K but have seen the 8th Gen CPUs are about to hit the market - what's the opinion out there, is it worth waiting for them to be supported?

I would like to future-proof this system as much as possible so Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C are kind of essential. I don’t really need WiFi but Bluetooth is.

Any other advice on Audio, PSU build guides etc would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

2 answers to this question

hi,

welcome to our forum

As you already familiar with osx and your budget is reasonable too,

On 9/28/2017 at 3:46 AM, Tonemapper said:

What’s the nicest case? I don’t need LED lighting but would like something well designed, quiet and good looking with ports on the front and back and space for 4x 3.5inch spinning disks. DVD/Bluray would be nice but not essential.

But hackintosh is total a bit different from real macs.Most important things in a hack is ...

1. CPU  (intel is always better because native support)

2.Mobo ( better to have closest  support )

3.GPU  ( nvidia or amd )

Rest of the things can be managed.

On 9/28/2017 at 3:46 AM, Tonemapper said:
What GPU? I use FCPX, Motion, some Adobe Premiere, Cinema 4D, Photoshop, Aperture and Handbrake for transcoding (nothing in 4K yet but it’ll come) but would also like to enter the world of PC gaming. I want it to be as fast as possible with these but remain within my budget of course.

Now as for GPU goes i always like to use nvidia.cause they have vender support (nvidia provides driver for osx).

Other hand apple natively supports there high ends macs for  amd cards.So both graphics would be fine.Newer gen AMD Gpus need onboard GPU (intel HD) support to run properly like real macs. But for nvidia you can use either.

LCD : apple has support for DVI ,DP and other ports, but audio on HDMI or DP might be a issue. Audio needs proper patches.if not that can be solved by USB audio(DAC) etc.

Core i7-7700K is supported in osx any intel has it. we just have to play with CPUPm only and its not that hard :).

USB is supported but TB might be issue sometimes ,Intel chipset is way better.

N.B : To have a better system.ill recommended  you to choose the parts you want and post here .So we can give you more direct information on that HW.

Hope this helps.Keep us posted

happy hack :)