Sign in to follow this  
The_Hackintosh_User

Asus N53SV Battery Indicator for OSX Mavericks?

Question

I went messing around today with my Asus N53SV Laptop that people have claimed to have at least Mountain Lion running on it.  I decided to install Mavericks on it using the N{censored} Mavericks USB version.  I replaced the extra folder with an extra folder downloaded from this guide:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283739-guide-install-os-x-mountain-lion-1082-and-mavericks-1091-on-asus-n53snn53svn53sm-notebooks/

I chosen the file (since there's two files one of which doesn't have Nvidia support): Asus-Extra-Files-2-No-Nvidia.zip

Don't ask why I went for this version and yes, I did make sure the BIOS was set to AHCI before booting into the setup.  Either way, after booting into the installer successfully, I was able to choose all the settings I wanted from the N{censored} Mavericks installer (this included me not checking the Apple Smart Battery Kext Battery because of previous attempts Kernel Panicing the system after reboot) and installed to an external USB hard drive.  After rebooting and filling out the Welcome Installer, I made sure I installed the, Wifi Kext, VooDooHDA kext, and the trackpad kext.  I last looked at the battery kext and downloaded a version of the VooDoo battery kext for Mavericks 10.9 and higher and installed the two kexts using kext wizard.  After rebooting, and using -v, after a few seconds it started with a loud nonstop beep and never went to the Desktop or Login Screen.  I tried booting it up again this time with -v -x -f and Use_Kernel_Cache=false and this time it hangs at, "Incorrect Number of Thread Records."  Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this or an alternative work around method?  Before you ask, no I did not completely follow the instructions from the Insanely Mac page because the USB creation part was sorta broken since the video doesn't exist anyone following that I don't have a copy of Mountain Lion I only used the Extra folder to modify the N{censored} USB installer to help it boot up incase it didn't.

Edited by The_Hackintosh_User

On 1/16/2018 at 4:58 AM, The_Hackintosh_User said:

I went messing around today with my Asus N53SV Laptop that people have claimed to have at least Mountain Lion running on it.  I decided to install Mavericks on it using the N{censored} Mavericks USB version.  I replaced the extra folder with an extra folder downloaded from this guide:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283739-guide-install-os-x-mountain-lion-1082-and-mavericks-1091-on-asus-n53snn53svn53sm-notebooks/

This laptop is supported in os.So simple clover installation will do the job.but as trying to install with other guys kext might cause issues. Because some of the kext are old or out dated.

Now for bios beep cause of bios settings so check you bios settings or update it.

For battery fix you need to have dsdt fix and proper battery kext.

Incorrect number of threads is cause of some settings in ur boot loader,so post ur full boot loader settings so we can take a look.

and pls try to make an vanilla installer with clover bootloader instead of premade

good hack

Sorry for the late reply, but I've tried looking for a vanilla installer but the only one I found so far claims to be a Mavericks app store image or ESD.  When I opened it, I realized it was a the Mavericks N{censored} distro (basically what I was using).  I've reinstalled and trying to get the kexts working but now, the touchpad (SmartTouchpadPS2 kext) causes a kernel panic.  I've tried reinstalling it, deleting all PS2 related kexts and replacing them with ones that should work, and even trying another kext but all causes either a kernel panic, or a freeze at some point of booting.  Hate to ask this, but do you know where I can get touchpad driver that works with the N53SV without a kernel panic?  Hopefully I will find a kext in the meantime for the battery.

Well you see, when I first realized that Hackintoshing even existed Mavericks was already out of the App Store because of Yosemite.  I didn't ever download Mavericks in any form until I found out how to do a basic Hackintosh.  It is already too late to download Mavericks and now too late to even get Yosemite (Because I have a MacBook that only supported all the way down to Yosemite.)  I have done some trial and error and now got the system booted but still no battery support.  Could something like a patched ACPI or battery kext that isn't VooDoo or anything like that work?  I have messed up my Mac OS X installation several times and for some reason they are painful and difficult to set up once you've messed them up. I apologize if this entire post has dragged on inconvenience.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:39 PM, The_Hackintosh_User said:

Well you see, when I first realized that Hackintoshing even existed Mavericks was already out of the App Store because of Yosemite.  I didn't ever download Mavericks in any form until I found out how to do a basic Hackintosh.  It is already too late to download Mavericks and now too late to even get Yosemite (Because I have a MacBook that only supported all the way down to Yosemite.)  I have done some trial and error and now got the system booted but still no battery support.  Could something like a patched ACPI or battery kext that isn't VooDoo or anything like that work?  I have messed up my Mac OS X installation several times and for some reason they are painful and difficult to set up once you've messed them up. I apologize if this entire post has dragged on inconvenience.

You need to patch DSDT for it work with rehubman patches.just need to patch ACPI battery.You can use my VMware installation to get mav but its not that important atm .vanilla installer are always better because you never know what distros installs in the system.

here is the patch for dsdts

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

I found a DSDT around the Downloads Section of this website and found a DSDT for Mountain Lion (10.8) and installed it by copying it into the Extra folder and renaming it to "DSDT.aml" and this time it booted with a working DSDT.  I then managed to install the patched ACPI kext from RehabMan and got it to successfully boot and managed to get the battery icon on the Apple Menu Bar.  There is just one problem, the battery percentage is always zero even if it's not 100% full.  It seems to get the estimated battery charge correct, but other than that it's just 0%.  I read this is a problem with some Asus laptops, but I doesn't make since why this hasn't been addressed before with the N53SV.  I haven't found another DSDT for the N53SV.  I don't think the N53SJ DSDT will work properly on Mac OS X which on another forum post/site it says it should work on Snow Leopard.

Edited by The_Hackintosh_User