Sign in to follow this  
Aargh-a-Knot

VMWare?

Anyone know of a way to use a full windows7 partition/disc as the VM source for vmware fusion ? I know you can use a bootcamp partition, but is there a way using Chameleon?

With my chamelon setup, if I create a FAT 32 (MS DOS) in Disk Utility on a disc with a GUID partition table, then VM doesn't see it as a boot camp partition 'automagically'.

vmware fusion comes with a few handy command line tools that are hidden in /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/.

On in the folder above, run ./vmware-rawdiskCreator.

The use ./vmware-rawdiskCreate print /dev/[yourdiscnumberhere] to list available partitions on it.

Once the right disc and partition identified you can run the same command in create mode (for instance with the 2nd partition of my disc2 hard drive):

./vmware-rawdiskCreate create /dev/disc2 2 ~/Desktop/Bootcamp ide

This command creates a vmware disc file that points to your physical partition to use it.

Hope this helps.

Note: I'm able to point to that partition, install windows 7 on it and then run it from OS X fine... but when I try booting from this partition using chameleon I get a error messsage saying windows can't boot, which is normal: windows doesn't know about my RAID controller since I installed from vmware. But then when I try to start the vm from vmware in OS X again vwware can't boot it either....

Hey, thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I don't actually have fusion ATM, I have been using Parallels, which only allows you to create a virtual installation. I have a install of Windows7 on it's own drive, and have been booting into it from the efi-x boot screen. I would like to use my existing Win7 installation, but have the option of booting into it from the boot screen (efi-x or chameleon...but ultimately chameleon) or from within OSX via Fusion. Is this possible? I guess I could reinstall Win7 and all the apps if I had to, but it would be great if I could use the install that I already have. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that the reason that you may not be able to access Windows both ways (through Fusion and the boot screen) is due to having a raid setup? And that without this added factor, it should work in either fashion with the setup you described?

Also, does it need to be a fat32 partition? I mostly use Windows for AnyDVD to rip BDs, which would greatly exceed the 4GB limit in fat32.

Thanks,

~Knotty

Hey, thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay in responding.

I don't actually have fusion ATM, I have been using Parallels, which only allows you to create a virtual installation. I have a install of Windows7 on it's own drive, and have been booting into it from the efi-x boot screen. I would like to use my existing Win7 installation, but have the option of booting into it from the boot screen (efi-x or chameleon...but ultimately chameleon) or from within OSX via Fusion. Is this possible? I guess I could reinstall Win7 and all the apps if I had to, but it would be great if I could use the install that I already have. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that the reason that you may not be able to access Windows both ways (through Fusion and the boot screen) is due to having a raid setup? And that without this added factor, it should work in either fashion with the setup you described?

Also, does it need to be a fat32 partition? I mostly use Windows for AnyDVD to rip BDs, which would greatly exceed the 4GB limit in fat32.

Thanks,

~Knotty

You can do something like that with vmware fusion, on their website they have this: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ it's free and I used it once to convert a real xp install to use it on my vmware fusion and it worked flawlessly everything was here progs and all, saved me a lot of time, basically you install under your working windows environement and will do a image of your system on an external drive or current drive itself if you have enough space....:cool:

You can do something like that with vmware fusion, on their website they have this: http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ it's free and I used it once to convert a real xp install to use it on my vmware fusion and it worked flawlessly everything was here progs and all, saved me a lot of time, basically you install under your working windows environement and will do a image of your system on an external drive or current drive itself if you have enough space....:cool:

Thanks Thorias. I have read about that solution, and I guess it is an option. However, it would be much preferable to just have one image/install that I could access from either Chameleon boot menu or VMWare in OSX.

It seems from bounav's post above that there might be a way to do this, but I'm not exactly clear on how it would work....

Sign in to follow this