Sign in to follow this  
djsam

snow leopard

Question

with sl going gold master and all apple developers receiving a copy, is anyone working on/having success getting it running with chameleon?

Of course. Give me some time to figure out all the details, like Shutdown/Sleep/Wakeup, Bonjour, Timemachine, DSDT... and so on. And I still have things to get done from last week, which I couldn't do because of the legal trouble.

Sounds good!! Asere, could you please update your Step by Step guide for 10.6? This would help me a lot. Thanks in advance!

I just got my rig successfully booting off Snow Leo today too, Asere.

It was rather easy, except for a bunch of permissions issues when trying to build Extension.mkext. Basically, it would not change ownership properly. I finally got it to work by umounting it, making the temp directory, and mount_hfs etc. as detailed in Asere's blog. Then assigning ownership and permissions allowed me to rebuild the mkext. I'm not quite sure what this little snippet of commands is actually doing, but none of the normal chmod and chown commands work properly unless I first do these steps. I need to study it some more to understand whats going on, I guess.

Asere, I noticed that I and many others are not getting the same results with the xattr commands. When I enter them in as on your blog, I wind up with several hundred lines of errors for each command, with the end result being it stating it could not complete the request. I just started skipping this step, and everything works great without it. Do you have a different version of Darwinports installed or something? Just curious why its different.

Also, why do your terminal screenshots look different? As soon as I sudo -s, I no longer see what directory I am in before the prompt. I only see "bash-3.2#" as opposed to "root@MacBook [~] >" I am always wondering what directory I am in, and would love to see it before the prompt. What's the secret? :confused: C'mon, you can tell me! :D

Of course. Give me some time to figure out all the details, like Shutdown/Sleep/Wakeup, Bonjour, Timemachine, DSDT... and so on. And I still have things to get done from last week, which I couldn't do because of the legal trouble.

:):):) I will wait patiently

I just got my rig successfully booting off Snow Leo today too, Asere.

Congratulations!

It was rather easy, except for a bunch of permissions issues when trying to build Extension.mkext. Basically, it would not change ownership properly. I finally got it to work by umounting it, making the temp directory, and mount_hfs etc. as detailed in Asere's blog. Then assigning ownership and permissions allowed me to rebuild the mkext. I'm not quite sure what this little snippet of commands is actually doing, but none of the normal chmod and chown commands work properly unless I first do these steps. I need to study it some more to understand whats going on, I guess.

You must remount the stick to get rid of the mount options nodev, nosuid and noowner. These options are applied by the automount process and preventing you to change for instance the owner.

Asere, I noticed that I and many others are not getting the same results with the xattr commands. When I enter them in as on your blog, I wind up with several hundred lines of errors for each command, with the end result being it stating it could not complete the request. I just started skipping this step, and everything works great without it. Do you have a different version of Darwinports installed or something? Just curious why its different.

I didn't installed any special version of xattr. I'm just using the version which comes with OS X (maybe from the Developer Tools). Removing these extented attributes is not really necessary. It's just to have a clean stick.

Also, why do your terminal screenshots look different? As soon as I sudo -s, I no longer see what directory I am in before the prompt. I only see "bash-3.2#" as opposed to "root@MacBook [~] >" I am always wondering what directory I am in, and would love to see it before the prompt. What's the secret? :confused: C'mon, you can tell me! :D

"bash-3.2#" is the default shell prompt. I don't like it and therefore I've created a personal one. To change the promt you have to modify the PS1 shell variable (see: man bash). Put 2 files into your home directory:

.bash_profile

#!/bin/bash

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

and .bashrc

#!/bin/bash

export PS1='\u@\h [`pwd | sed -e "s@^$HOME\(.*\)@~\1@" -e "s@^.*/[^/]*\(/[^/]*/[^/]*/[^/]*\)@..\1@"`] > '
export CLICOLOR=1
#export TERM=xterm-color
export LSCOLORS=ExFxCxDxBxegedabagacad

if [ -f ~/.alias ]; then
. ~/.alias
fi

The examples are very basic ones. Have a look at PS1. It's really cool, isn't it? Anyone out there who can explain it? :D