Sign in to follow this  
Axiom

Choosing a graphics card for Snow Leopard

Question

I'm trying to decide which graphics card I should use for my Chameleon/Snow Leopard set-up now that I'll be ditching my EFi-X v1.

I have a Radeon 3870 (with DDR3) that never worked with EFi-X. I also have a Radeon 2600 XT which I've been using with EFi-X and a GeForce 7600 GT.

Do I have any hope of getting the 3870 working with Snow Leopard or should I use the 7600 GT and get a better GeForce card later?

The GeForce will work fine. Sadly, your ATI cards won't unless you use an injector. The 4830/4870/4890 will work without too much effort using netkas' injector for Snow Leopard. The GTX200 series should also work without too much trouble by installing the official Nvidia drivers from their site. Drivers may be built into SL now but I haven't tested them, as I'm still using an 8800GTS which has been working just fine.

Maybe someone who has one of these cards can share their experiences with you.

Greetings All. New member here. Pissed at the developments behind no SL support for V1 EFIX users.

To Axiom above- I have read that Radeon 3870 cards ONLY work with EFIX if they use GDDR4 memory. GDDR3 memory cards do not work. I have an ATI 3870 unit that works great- but only because it is a card with GDDR4 memory.

On a different note- I am intrigued by the possibilities of bypassing EFIX and using Chameleon bootloader for a working Snow Leopard install. Im sure I'll have many questions. This place looks like a great place to find the answers.

The GTX200 series should also work without too much trouble by installing the official Nvidia drivers from their site. Drivers may be built into SL now but I haven't tested them, as I'm still using an 8800GTS which has been working just fine.

Thanks, I'll stick with the 7600GT for now. I don't think I'll bother with the expense of a GTX200, I'll probably get a 9800GT or 9600GSO (which is really a 8800GS) pretty soon.

9800gt starts at 80€ and 65nm gtx260 gpus start at 110€, new with 55nm start at 130€ I would suggest to spend 30€ more for a gtx260.

I think geforce cards will support best openCL in SL. Ati cards (4xxx) have poor performance (see netkas blog). 3xxx dont even support open CL as far as I know.

9800gt starts at 80€ and 65nm gtx260 gpus start at 110€, new with 55nm start at 130€ I would suggest to spend 30€ more for a gtx260.

I think geforce cards will support best openCL in SL. Ati cards (4xxx) have poor performance (see netkas blog). 3xxx dont even support open CL as far as I know.

Hi,

I would consider to by new HW that meets the requirements for SL to get it work with at least 2 Monitors. In the moment I am using a ATI HD3870 passive cooled!

-Which Nvidia Chip would give me the possibility to work with SL and to attatch al least 2 Monitors.

-Does anyone knows a passive cooled one?

-Im not a gamer so I do not need a 250W heating in my tower.

-Does anyone has 2 cards working together with 4 Monitors?

BR

prinzessin

Hey Prinzessin,

check out the GF 9800GT PCI-E 2xDVI HDTV passiv cooled (Sparkle). If you want to have 3-4 Monitors running check out this Guide (just searched for it):

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=104266

By the way I would suggest you to take 9800xx card because if you want to enjoy the advantages of open CL in SL, cards like 8600xx are not poerfull enough (just saw it in the open CL benchmark with my macbook pro with a 8600gt mobile)

Give us feedback!

Regards

Berlin Dude