Sign in to follow this  
Aargh-a-Knot

DSDT Patch for "Warning USB Device Removal" thread

Question

I am starting this thread to discuss information related to elmangomez's original post in the Snow leopard Install Guide.

elmangomez originally said:

Fixed the "Warning USB Device Removal" when waking from sleep.

All credit goes to:

http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/17...ts-as-built-in

and

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...entry1240686

Here is how I did it for my UD3P DSDT:

Step One.

Edit your dsdt.dsl file and locate this string 0x001D0007. It should be within a Device like USBE... replace this whole device with the EHC1 device code. Make note of the device name you are eliminating.

Step 2

Next search for string 0x001A0007. It should be within a Device like USE2... replace this whole device with the EHC2 device code. Make note of the device name you are eliminating.

Next search for the original device name that you eliminated in step 1 and replace it with EHC1. Search for the original device name that you eliminated in step 2 and replace it with EHC2. Save and re-assemble your file, copy the new dsdt.aml file into /e/e.

Thanks for posting that info Hernando.

I looked at Stell's post regarding this on his Blog. I didn't see any mention of needing to rename USBE to EHC1 and USE2 to EHC2, or the subsequent changes that would then be necessary. So, I simply left the two devices named as they were, and added the bold code from Stell's blog into the existing code. Everything is working great. Oh, I should mention, that when copying and pasting the code from his blog, the compiler did not like the quotes in any of the code I added. I had to replace the copy-pasted quotes by deleting and retyping them, but then it compiled just fine. (I changed it in the code below)

No offense, but I was slightly confused by your instructions :confused: So, I am going to repost the code additions here:

Device (EHC1)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))

{

Return (0x02)

}

Return (0x03)

}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x03

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"AAPL,clock-id",

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x01

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Device (EHC2)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001A0007)

Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)

{

If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))

{

Return (0x02)

}

Return (0x03)

}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x03

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"AAPL,clock-id",

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x02

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x05)

{

"EHCI"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

So, just add the bold code into the Device definitions. Your dsdt may use USBE and USE2, or it may use EHC1 and EHC2. I recommend leaving whatever is there, and just add the code. No need to change the device name and then search for references to it in the dsdt.

Anyway, works great! No more "Device Removal " errors when waking from sleep. One more thing Chameleon has that EFI-X does not.

I was really excited when I read in Stell's blog that this fix may also potentially fix sleep issues. I tried it, and... it worked! yaaah!

...but then.... after the next re-boot, sleep is back to NOT working again. Boooh!

I really can't figure this sleep thing out. My screen will sleep, and then, every 45 seconds, my optical drive spins up for a second. I believe this is related to the sleep issue, but I can't figure out what's causing it. Nothing in the console log... I may break down and do a clean install to see if that fixes it.

EDIT: Now, suddenly my sleep is working. Worked like 3 times in a row. Let's hope it stays that way!

EDIT#2: Geez... it went to go to sleep, and would not wake up. Turned out it had shut itself down. Now, it does the optical-drive-spin-up-every-45 seconds thing again, and won't sleep. Very strange.

I've lived with no auto-sleep for so long, I don't really even need it... I have a keyboard shortcut set up to sleep, and it's really easy to use. I guess I'll stick with that.

Thanks again elmangomez!

Hi Knotty,

It is working for me..... I have rebooted a bunch of times and manual sleep still works fine, and no warnings when waking. I have only tested this on SL.

Perhaps it is necessary to rename the devices.

It's working for me also, with 10.5.8 and I didn't rename the devices, just added the method _DSM as shown in bold in the post above.

I went ahead and renamed them, though it wasn't necessary.

All that's missing now for my board is automatic sleep. That one's proven to be a real head-scratcher for me.

All that's missing now for my board is automatic sleep. That one's proven to be a real head-scratcher for me.

Mike, What happens on your system when you have auto-sleep enabled? Does the screen sleep normally? Do you notice your optical drive light flashing intermittently when the computer should be going to sleep?

Mike, What happens on your system when you have auto-sleep enabled? Does the screen sleep normally? Do you notice your optical drive light flashing intermittently when the computer should be going to sleep?

That is what happens on my system.... I read once that you should leave a cd/dvd in the optical drive and it would sleep. I never got that to work either.